Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Awesomeness Only

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Awesomeness Only

Marry a Kenyan, you marry the whole darn country, or so it seems. There is a group here in town called the KCA, Kenyan Cincinnati Association. Someone heard my father had died, and this past Wednesday our house was bombarded by Kenyans of every age to offer condolences. They brought food and drinks, they gathered around Carren and me and prayed for us, they sang songs in their language and in English, they brought cards and flowers, they left after 10 pm, and most of all they lifted my spirits immensely. I was moved beyond words. Africans are really awesome people.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Likes:

bounty37h (05-29-2019),cumberlandreds (05-28-2019),klw (05-30-2019),Larry Schuler (05-30-2019),Revering4Blue (05-29-2019),RFS62 (06-06-2019),RichRed (05-27-2019),SunDeck (05-29-2019),wally post (06-16-2019),WrongVerb (05-27-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'm taking my sons little league out for ice cream tonight to celebrate the season. They only had 2 wins, but they were competitive in most games and learned and had fun, and want to play again next season-that was my preseason goal. My son only had 3 hits on the year, but they were each so awesome to watch him feel success when he got them, and see the great smile on his face. Maybe this doesn't belong on the awesomeness thread, but nothing more awesome to me then time with my son on a baseball field and the memories we have.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-29-2019),goreds2 (06-17-2019),klw (05-30-2019),Revering4Blue (05-29-2019),RFS62 (06-06-2019),RiverRat13 (05-30-2019),SunDeck (05-29-2019),WrongVerb (05-29-2019)

Here's a great article written by Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post. He is a sports columnist for the Post. This isn't about sports but about his grandfather who had written a journal about his D-Day experiences. His father came across this when they were cleaning out their house after his death. Most of these guys never told what they went through and most never knew exactly until after their death. It's kinda of a long article but worth your time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.11637aa608db
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

bounty37h (05-30-2019),North (07-08-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

High schooler, 18, who was paralyzed in a freak gymnastics accident takes her first steps in YEARS at graduation, proudly walking across the stage to a standing ovation from her peers
    • Anna Sarol, from Kansas City, was left paralyzed and wheelchair bound almost four years ago after a gymnastics accident
    • The Olathe Northwest High School student was determined to be able to join her classmates and walk across the graduation stage on Sunday, May 19
    • She was assisted by two of her four siblings, who helped her with a walker and braces as she made her way across the stage to accept her diploma
    • Anna told Good Morning America that, although she was 'very nervous' before the big day, the feeling of walking across the stage was 'incredible'
    • 'I could hear the whole crowd, and I looked up and I saw everybody on their feet, including everyone in the stadium and everyone in my class,' she said
    • Anna is currently raising funds for a prosthetic exoskeleton in order to be able to walk on her own without assistance from anyone else
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

9. Likes:

bounty37h (05-30-2019),cumberlandreds (05-31-2019),goreds2 (06-17-2019),Revering4Blue (06-16-2019),RFS62 (06-06-2019)

Cool story and all, but I live in Kansas, have a daughter that is about to turn 14 and be a freshman in high school, and said daughter is in competitive gymnastics. So you can see where my first thought in reading this story wasn't "Awesome". I mean, it was the second thought, but still...

I see from the story this injury didn't happen in a meet, but I'm still surprised I didn't hear about it just given how small that gymnastics community is. That girl has an amazing attitude for sure.

Tomorrow, my niece leaves with a bunch of students from her high school to present an agriculture project at a competition at MIT. One project was selected from each state, and she and a friend will be presenting theirs as the West Virginia entry.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

12. Likes:

757690 (06-20-2019),cumberlandreds (06-18-2019),goreds2 (06-17-2019),JaxRed (06-17-2019),jimbo (06-18-2019),Revering4Blue (06-16-2019),RFS62 (06-23-2019),WrongVerb (06-16-2019)

Spring 2018 we got word that mom’s breast cancer came back. Stage 4. Inoperable tumor around one of her vertebrae. After radiation, her oncologist put her on a monthly cycle of Ibrance and Faslodex. The doc told us that on average, the drugs would keep the cancer from spreading for 10 months.

Last week, I was home for her quarterly appointment with the oncologist. Scans showed no progression or new signs of more cancer. Mom started her 15th month of treatment after the appointment and goes back for another set of scans in 4 months.

Despite her fatigue and limited mobility, mom went out with my dad and me for a celebratory dinner. Celebrated an early fathers day. Celebrated the fact the my wife and I marked 22 years of marriage the next day when I flew back to Atlanta. And most importantly, we celebrated the fact that with the army of family, friends, and medical professionals around her, she was again able to give her cancer a great big middle finger.

14. Likes:

757690 (06-20-2019),bounty37h (06-19-2019),cumberlandreds (06-18-2019),goreds2 (06-23-2019),Hoosier Red (08-06-2019),jimbo (06-18-2019),klw (06-20-2019),marcshoe (06-18-2019),North (07-08-2019),RFS62 (06-23-2019),wally post (06-21-2019)

Turns out my neice's MIT thing wasn't one from each state, but 15, I think, from the whole country. She was just interviewed for PBS; I'm not sure what show.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

16. Likes:

757690 (06-20-2019),cumberlandreds (06-21-2019),goreds2 (06-23-2019),Hoosier Red (08-06-2019),klw (06-20-2019),North (08-03-2019),WrongVerb (06-20-2019)

Turns out my puppy like to chase water:

18. Likes:

JaxRed (07-08-2019),jimbo (06-24-2019),North (07-08-2019)

After a decade+ of rejections, I made it through and got picked in the lottery to buy tickets to a practice round at the 2020 Masters.

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-09-2019),Hoosier Red (08-06-2019),klw (07-09-2019),marcshoe (07-08-2019),North (07-08-2019),RFS62 (07-16-2019),Slyder (07-09-2019),WrongVerb (07-08-2019)

Went skydiving for the first time in my life today. First jump was with the instructor, and the second jump was with my daughter. I’m going back next week to jump solo. It was an awesome experience, and I highly recommend it to anybody.

22. Likes:

bounty37h (07-12-2019),goreds2 (07-25-2019),JaxRed (07-08-2019),North (07-12-2019),RFS62 (07-16-2019),WrongVerb (07-08-2019)

The US land forever leased to England

Every May, the US Coast Guard and the Royal Navy hold a ceremony on a sliver of North Carolina land where four English World War Two soldiers are buried.

By Brian Carlton BBC 12 July 2019

“If I should die, think only this of me/ That there’s some corner of a foreign field/ That is forever England.”

..."For two months, the Bedfordshire patrolled the Outer Banks, helping with salvage operations and searching for U-boats. Then, on 11 May 1942, the hunter became the hunted. Bedfordshire and fellow trawler HMT St Loman, also part of the Outer Banks patrol, U-boat found them first. U-558 fired torpedoes at both ships and hit the Bedfordshire, sinking the ship with all crew lost.

Because it happened so fast, there was no time to send out a distress call. In fact, it would be days before anyone knew what happened to the Bedfordshire, when the bodies of four men washed up on Ocracoke on 14 May. Out of those four, only Cunningham and Craig could be identified.

This memorial and gravesite in North Carolina will forever be considered British soil

Normally during wartime, a soldier's body is shipped home to his family. Due to the island's isolation, however, there were limited supplies on Ocracoke in 1942, including a lack of materials needed to preserve bodies. As a result, all four men had to be buried quickly on the island. To pay respect to the Bedfordshire's crew, Ocracoke residents also built a monument as part of the cemetery, giving all four men full military honours.

“The cemetery on Ocracoke is the only one in deeded to the British,” Dr Schwarzer said. “The island residents (and North Carolina) said let’s give this land in perpetuity to Britain.”

The land was leased to England’s Commonwealth War Graves Commission, which keeps track of and maintains all graves of soldiers who died in either of the two World Wars. And since it was granted ‘in perpetuity’, this memorial and gravesite in North Carolina will forever be considered British soil.

At the ceremony, I watched as wreaths were placed on the memorial to honour the sacrifice of the Bedfordshire’s men, while the US Coast Guard Pipe Band played. The American and British Royal Legion Riders, veterans who hold motorbike rides to raise money for wounded soldiers and other charity projects, conducted a special tradition as they do every year: each group brought a container of water, one from the Outer Banks and another from England, and blended them together to symbolise how Ocracoke and England are linked. Afterwards, the names of each member of Bedfordshire’s crew was read out, before a 21-gun salute closed the ceremony out.

I took off my baseball cap as I stood by the graves, reflecting on history. Thirty-seven men left home to defend people in another country, giving their lives to do so. That truly deserves respect and honour. It seems fitting that the Bedfordshire’s crew is not forgotten, but honoured in ‘some corner of a foreign field that is forever England’.".

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2019...sed-to-england
    Last edited by North; 07-12-2019 at 01:15 PM.

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    The US land forever leased to England

Every May, the US Coast Guard and the Royal Navy hold a ceremony on a sliver of North Carolina land where four English World War Two soldiers are buried.

By Brian Carlton BBC 12 July 2019

“If I should die, think only this of me/ That there’s some corner of a foreign field/ That is forever England.”

..."For two months, the Bedfordshire patrolled the Outer Banks, helping with salvage operations and searching for U-boats. Then, on 11 May 1942, the hunter became the hunted. Bedfordshire and fellow trawler HMT St Loman, also part of the Outer Banks patrol, U-boat found them first. U-558 fired torpedoes at both ships and hit the Bedfordshire, sinking the ship with all crew lost.

Because it happened so fast, there was no time to send out a distress call. In fact, it would be days before anyone knew what happened to the Bedfordshire, when the bodies of four men washed up on Ocracoke on 14 May. Out of those four, only Cunningham and Craig could be identified.

This memorial and gravesite in North Carolina will forever be considered British soil

Normally during wartime, a soldier's body is shipped home to his family. Due to the island's isolation, however, there were limited supplies on Ocracoke in 1942, including a lack of materials needed to preserve bodies. As a result, all four men had to be buried quickly on the island. To pay respect to the Bedfordshire's crew, Ocracoke residents also built a monument as part of the cemetery, giving all four men full military honours.

“The cemetery on Ocracoke is the only one in deeded to the British,” Dr Schwarzer said. “The island residents (and North Carolina) said let’s give this land in perpetuity to Britain.”

The land was leased to England’s Commonwealth War Graves Commission, which keeps track of and maintains all graves of soldiers who died in either of the two World Wars. And since it was granted ‘in perpetuity’, this memorial and gravesite in North Carolina will forever be considered British soil.

At the ceremony, I watched as wreaths were placed on the memorial to honour the sacrifice of the Bedfordshire’s men, while the US Coast Guard Pipe Band played. The American and British Royal Legion Riders, veterans who hold motorbike rides to raise money for wounded soldiers and other charity projects, conducted a special tradition as they do every year: each group brought a container of water, one from the Outer Banks and another from England, and blended them together to symbolise how Ocracoke and England are linked. Afterwards, the names of each member of Bedfordshire’s crew was read out, before a 21-gun salute closed the ceremony out.

I took off my baseball cap as I stood by the graves, reflecting on history. Thirty-seven men left home to defend people in another country, giving their lives to do so. That truly deserves respect and honour. It seems fitting that the Bedfordshire’s crew is not forgotten, but honoured in ‘some corner of a foreign field that is forever England’.".

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2019...sed-to-england
    I have been to Ocracoke and seen that cemetery. It is very nice. I don't think I knew it was actually leased to the British.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

On the field tonight at Oracle Park for a screening of Bohemian Rhapsody. It's an AIDS fundraiser. About 4000 people here.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

27. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-15-2019)

They call me "chef"

End thread:

https://twitter.com/mariamamini/stat...486880768?s=21

The priest is unharmed and the captions are inaccurate but the idea of a homophobic and misogynist priest getting tossed off a stage is delightful and one can dream.
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 07-15-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Turn Off Ads?