Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Awesomeness Only

Re: Awesomeness Only

Leave it to Larry to screw up a good thread. I figured I could actually view one of his posts in this thread. Obviously a mistake.

2. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Now, back to ACTUAL awesomeness: https://twitter.com/i/status/1150508195561050114

5. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-16-2019),wally post (08-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Now, back to ACTUAL awesomeness: https://twitter.com/i/status/1150508195561050114
    Big thumbs up!

Wonderful find

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

‘Frugal’ carpenter secretly saves $3M to send 33 kids to college

By Hannah Sparks

July 19, 2019 | 12:27pm

An Iowa man who owned only two pairs of jeans and saved every penny he made had one dying wish: to send small town Iowa kids to college.

“He was that kind of a blue-collar, lunch pail kind of a guy,” Steve Nielsen, friend to Schroader, tells KCCI. “[He] went to work every day, worked really hard, was frugal like a lot of Iowans.”

Dale Schroeder grew up poor. He didn’t marry, have children or go to college, and worked as a carpenter at the same business for 67 years without complaint. He didn’t have much, save a secret savings account with nearly $3 million.

“He wanted to help kids that were like him that probably wouldn’t have an opportunity to go to college but for his gift,” says Nielsen.

The money Schroeder saved helped 33 Iowa teenagers go to college free of charge. Kira Conrad is one of “Dale’s Kids.”

“I broke down into tears immediately,” Conard says.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

bounty37h (07-25-2019),cumberlandreds (07-22-2019),North (12-27-2019),RFS62 (07-20-2019)

Wrapping up the final night of an 8 day family trip to Madrid and Barcelona. Took a day trip to the Pyrenees on Sunday to see the Tour de France and stopped at Montserrat on the way back into Barcelona. For our final night tonight we did a 3.5 hour cooking class (sangria, tapas and dinner) with an absolutely brilliant young woman who was wise beyond her age (25) and seemed to connect with our almost 16 year-old daughter in subtle yet profoundly impactful ways.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-24-2019),North (08-01-2019),RFS62 (07-24-2019)

This was a righteous thing to do.

Ohio State Fair hosting sensory-friendly morning for people with autism, special sensory needs
    Posted 6:59PM July 19, 2019 by Natasha Anderson

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Ohio State Fair is turning down the lights and the noise to help make the fair more enjoyable for people with special sensory needs, such as autism.

The Ohio State Fair Sensory-Friendly Morning will be held Wednesday, July 31 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

All aspects of the fair — from parking to waiting in lines for rides — will be more accessible.

Click here to get a parking pass for the event.

“The Ohio State Fair isn’t just about food and rides – it is about community. We want to make the Fair as enjoyable as possible for all Ohioans, and Sensory Friendly Morning is one way we can achieve that goal,” Ohio State Fair General Manager Virgil Strickler told OCALI, who helped make this event possible.

Fairgoers will have the opportunity to ride the rides with no flashing lights or music, visit the fair’s many educational activities, take a break in the OCALI Quiet Room and explore multiple activities in the shade of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Park.

OCALI has also provided a social narrative for families to go over before heading to the fair. Click here to download that printable PDF.

The Ohio State Fair runs from July 24 to August 4. Click here for more information on fair tickets and a complete schedule of events

12. Likes:

bounty37h (09-04-2019),Hoosier Red (08-06-2019),marcshoe (08-02-2019),WrongVerb (08-01-2019)

The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation is a reminder of the good that humans can do. They recently held an event to give beach accessibility to the disabled.

https://www.nj.com/monmouth/2019/07/...oundation.html

As someone with a gradually progressive spinal cord injury caused by the radiation treatment I received for cancer over 20 years ago, I pay a lot more attention to these stories than I used to. And as someone who was fortunate enough to grow up a beach kid, one of the many crushing moments I've had in the past five years was when I discovered I no longer had the leg strength or stability to walk on sand. So I was particularly moved by this story.

The Reeve Foundation does so much good work to help those with spinal cord injuries improve their lives, maintain as much independence as possible, and just as importantly, retain their dignity. This beach accessibility story is just a drop in the ocean (pun intended) of great works being done by these folks.

Incidentally, I briefly rehabbed at the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in NJ, the same place Christopher Reeve rehabbed after his accident. The doctors and therapists at Kessler are about the closest thing to angels I've ever found walking among us mere mortals. It's just about enough to restore my faith in humanity.
    Last edited by RichRed; 08-03-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

14. Likes:

Boston Red (08-03-2019),bounty37h (08-13-2019),North (08-03-2019),RFS62 (08-07-2019),WrongVerb (08-03-2019)

Message in a bottle from Hawaii finds way to Santa Rosa family after 13 years

Ask Eric McDermott. He’s the guy who found the lightly scuffed water bottle last April, crusty with mud, sealed shut and empty, but for a folded and rolled piece of 8½-by-11-inch paper with black, handwritten lettering and the date: January/February 2006.

Also spelled out were the names of three children — siblings from the Bricker family, then ages 4, 7, and 10 — and the Norman, Oklahoma, street address they called home for 3½ years between long-term stays in Santa Rosa.

When McDermott, an Earth Day volunteer motoring by boat around the Russian River estuary in search of trash to collect, found the bottle and the message therein, the Brickers had long since moved back to Sonoma County and the children were mostly grown up.

One had finished college. One was married.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but that's pretty awesome IMHO.

French inventor Franky Zapata successfully flew from France to England on an airborne flyboard, Sunday, August 4. The 40-year-old completed the 35 kilometer journey in 22 minutes.

I hope this comes through. It is an awesome video.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1158227044456644608
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

JaxRed (09-01-2019),RFS62 (08-07-2019)

From sunnyskyz.com...tons of good stuff on this site. I ran into it yesterday:

Thank You To The Customer Who Didn't Answer Their Door For Their Food
    By A Friend • August 26, 2019

"I work for Skip the Dishes (food delivery like Uber Eats or Doordash). If someone doesn't answer their door, we call. If they don't answer the call, we message support chat, and wait 7 mins while they try to contact them. If there is no answer after 7 minutes, we can keep the food and leave.

You ordered from subway. A foot long pulled pork sub, and a 6 inch pizza sub. 2 bags of chips, and 1 cookie.

Because of you, my family ate today. I was so excited, I ended my shift and drove right home. My boyfriend got half of the foot long and a bag of chips, my son got the pizza sub and half of my half of the footlong, as well as the chips and cookie. I got the remaining quarter of the foot long.

I am the sole provider and we are not doing well. I always short myself to try to get them what they need. I had to spend most of the grocery budget on bills this month just to keep the water on and keep my job. I haven't seen my son so excited in a long time, as he was to get 2 treats with his yummy sandwich.

I always feel bad when someone doesn't get their food. Fortunately, the customer gets credit so they can re-order the food again free of charge. I'm sure they were annoyed at me somehow, I normally get bad reviews when someone doesn't pick up their food, despite me doing everything I can, but I wish they knew what it did for me."

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/feel-good-...for-their-food

20. Likes:

bounty37h (09-04-2019),cumberlandreds (09-03-2019),goreds2 (09-03-2019)

Last weekend my wife, a friend and I were headed to our boat and came across a guy who had collapsed on the dock after trying to wrestle his boat's mast into place due to a malfunction. He got the boat to a slip with some aid from a couple of people on the dock, but none of them had any idea how to help him when he collapsed. When we got there he was losing consciousness. There was no suitable shelter nearby, so we rigged a shade and got a portable chair from our boat to get him off the hot deck and start cooling him to down. I checked his pulse and tried to rule out a possible cardiac event- no shortness of breath or chest pains, pulse was weak and rapid. His losing consciousness was my main concern, but he was cool to the touch and was still sweating so I felt he'd be ok if we could get him out of the heat. We took our ice packs from our coolers and got them situated on him to help as well. After about 20 minutes of this and also getting him to sip some gatorade, he was marginally better, but the EMTs who arrived called it in as possible heat stroke due to his borderline consciousness.

Had we not been there at that time with our first aid knowledge, I'm not sure he would have stayed out of the danger zone. When this event occurred, I was surprised at how willing my (usually bossy) friend was to have me calling orders at the scene, but of course the reason is that he really didn't know what to do. It's been along time since I was an EMT myself, but I do keep my first aid, cpr and aed certifications up to date. Training eliminates a lot of anxiety that occurs in a stressful situation and I was grateful to have a standard set of actions to rely on on that day. I recommend that others seek similar training; you really never know when you will need it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

22. Likes:

bounty37h (09-10-2019),cumberlandreds (09-08-2019),North (09-08-2019),oneupper (09-10-2019),RFS62 (09-09-2019),RichRed (09-08-2019),Roy Tucker (09-08-2019),wally post (09-09-2019),WrongVerb (09-08-2019)

Nice high school kids?!? Yes, they do exist!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1171552781368528896

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-11-2019),North (09-11-2019),SunDeck (09-11-2019)

Scientists Are Starting to Take Warp Drives Seriously, Especially One Specific Concept

As part of a session titled "The Future of Nuclear and Breakthrough Propulsion", Agnew shared the results of a study he conducted titled "An Examination of Warp Theory and Technology to Determine the State of the Art and Feasibility".

As Agnew explained to a packed house, the theory behind a warp propulsion system is relatively simple.

Originally proposed by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre in 1994, this concept for an FTL system is viewed by man as a highly theoretical (but possibly valid) solution to the Einstein field equations, which describe how space, time and energy in our Universe interact.

Through work, today I got to do a tandem skydive with Army Special Ops out of an absolutely stunningly refurbished C-47 that saw action in WWII.

Best. Work. Day. Ever.

27. Likes:

BernieCarbo (10-19-2019),Chip R (10-29-2019),cumberlandreds (10-18-2019),IslandRed (10-23-2019),Newport Red (10-29-2019),North (10-18-2019),WrongVerb (10-17-2019)

Turn Off Ads?