Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs To Go

Re: David Bell Needs To Go

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Garrett pitching only when the Reds fell behind 4-2 tonight is the latest WTF moment for one David BeLL.
    The problem was they weren't going to be able to get L/L matchups when it mattered. All the guys he could have been brought in to face were switch hitters, some of whom are better from the right side.

Definitely wasn't going to come in to face Ramirez and possibly Lindor right-handed instead of Sims. Bell didn't want him facing Reyes in the top of the next inning either.

Once he'd warmed up, it made no sense not to put him in the game after Jones faltered. He needed the work and they were still in it.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 08-04-2020 at 11:30 PM.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-05-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Garrett pitching only when the Reds fell behind 4-2 tonight is the latest WTF moment for one David BeLL.
    My guess is Reds decided in advance to use Strop and Sims last night. Guessing they were resting Iglesias who had pitched often of late. Maybe Garrett and Lorenzen (if available) were slated to close out a win.

When the game became a tie, they went to Nate Jones rather than close out guys. They must have a lot of confidence in Jones which is surprising since he’s trying to bounce back from injury.

With this type of pen, lot of bounce back and unproven guys, it’ll take some time to sort through the relievers. Hope it happens without causing too much early damage.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-05-2020 at 09:02 AM.

5. Likes:

Red Raindog (08-05-2020),Roy Tucker (08-05-2020)

Seriously.....Nate Jones has one good outing and now he is the setup man?? WTF

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-05-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    He looked filthy on Monday. Not so much on the second day in a row against the same guys... I really do not know what option Bell had given how well these guys hit lefties and given that Iglesias was given a day off.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    At the moment, it's open auditions for a setup man.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    He looked filthy on Monday. Not so much on the second day in a row against the same guys... I really do not know what option Bell had given how well these guys hit lefties and given that Iglesias was given a day off.
    Once the game was tied, Bell could have gone directly to Garrett and Lorenzen.

Lorenzen pitched Monday, but so had Nate Jones. (Nate actually threw a few more pitches than Mike on Monday.)

IMO once game was tied, rather than a close out situation, Bell went with Jones and held back Garrett/Lorenzen for later on.

Jones and Sims now lead Reds pen in appearances with 5.

11. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Once the game was tied, Bell could have gone directly to Garrett and Lorenzen.

Lorenzen pitched Monday, but so had Nate Jones. (Nate actually threw a few more pitches than Mike on Monday.)

IMO once game was tied, rather than a close out situation, Bell went with Jones and held back Garrett/Lorenzen for later on.

Jones and Sims now lead Reds pen in appearances with 5.
    Given the start to the season Lorenzen's had, I get why he didn't use Lorenzen.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Given the start to the season Lorenzen's had, I get why he didn't use Lorenzen.
    He looked pretty darn good Monday night. Three hitters, 2 Ks, blew them away.

14. Likes:

DocRed (08-05-2020)

Fairly high leverage too we were up 3-2 late in the game I believe

Don't know that it erases his previous less fortunate outings. I hope he's got things worked out. The Reds REALLY need it. Yet is that a switch that can be flipped or is it a process?

Also, Bell had to get 2 IP out of his pitchers, so he might have figured Jones holds the fort in the 8th and hopefully Garrett/Lorenzen can lock down the save in the 9th.In the end analysis, he picked a pitcher who wasn't overtaxed and certainly could have gotten the job done. Jones just coughed up a two-run homer. Been the theme of the season so far - relievers get put in a position where they can/should succeed and they keep barfing up ballgames. The Reds are 5-2 when the pen doesn't blow it. If they were only half that bad, the team would be 7-4 and we could be a little smug.

The silver lining is the starting pitching and offense is putting them in position to win games.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-05-2020)

I always hate to complain about a manager picking one relief pitcher over another. There usually is much more that goes into the decision that we aren’t privy to. They also are usually 50/50 decisions and the results are more based on luck than anything else.

The problem with the Reds bullpen is who Bell has to chose, not who ends up choosing.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    The problem was they weren't going to be able to get L/L matchups when it mattered. All the guys he could have been brought in to face were switch hitters, some of whom are better from the right side.

Definitely wasn't going to come in to face Ramirez and possibly Lindor right-handed instead of Sims. Bell didn't want him facing Reyes in the top of the next inning either.

Once he'd warmed up, it made no sense not to put him in the game after Jones faltered. He needed the work and they were still in it.
    The L/R part doesn’t bother me so much, so I understood and agreed with using Strop after Mahle. Keep ‘em swinging left. But once they ran into trouble, I view Garrett as the main guy down there. I want him in high leverage, regardless of the matchup, unless it’s a special situation where a guy just owns him or lefties. To use him only when down 4-2 was absolutely demoralizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Need some Tanner Rainey.

Amirite?

21. Likes:

DocRed (08-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Need some Tanner Rainey.

Amirite?
    0.529 WHIP!

I'm not saying that Bell needs to be fired, but bad pitching changes and terrible fundamentals are two things that poorly managed baseball teams have. And the Reds have those in spades right now.

24. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-05-2020),mgbrown66 (08-06-2020),OGB (08-06-2020)

Turn Off Ads?