Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs To Go

Re: David Bell Needs To Go

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Who should he have put in the game other than Lorenzen? It wasn't going to be Iglesias. Bell wasn't going to waste Garrett in the 5th inning either.

I can't blame Bell for giving Lorenzen the ball in the 5th inning, crossing his fingers and hoping he'd perform like he has most of his career. It's not like he has a bunch of great options down there.

Unfortunately, Lorenzen has absolutely sucked this year and considering he was arguably the key to the bullpen coming into the season, that means disaster.

Edit: I don't know how to fix Lorenzen, but at this point, he shouldn't be an option going forward. Bell has given him multiple opportunities to work himself out of it and he's failed every time.
    David Hernandez

2. Turn Off Ads?

I didn’t see today’s game but Bell and his people should use the off day to review the pen.

It’s only a sixty game season, there’s too much trial and error, too much reaching.

They need to focus on everyone’s health and effectiveness and come up with the best pen organization.

Mahle and Antone should both be available for pen work. Iglesias, Garrett, and Sims are doing ok. Having one or two mop up guys is fine - but use them as mop up guys. Maybe a trade or pick up is possible. Maybe someone at the secondary training camp looks good.

Time to make some decisions, stick with them, and hope the pen starts functioning better.

4. Likes:

MrRedSkull (08-09-2020),REDREAD (08-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    David Hernandez
    He and Lorenzen aren't remotely similar. Lorenzen's career RP numbers are vastly superior, he's been very reliable the past couple years, etc.

He and Lorenzen aren't remotely similar. Lorenzen's career RP numbers are vastly superior, he's been very reliable the past couple years, etc.
    You should go look up David Hernandez career stats. Before last year he was just as good as Lorenzen was if not better. Last 3 years ERA before they blew up... 2.53, 3.11, 3.84 vs 2.99, 3.11, 4.55. Which one is vastly superior?

You should go look up David Hernandez career stats. Before last year he was just as good as Lorenzen was if not better.
    I did, and no they're not. Hernandez was not only volatile in the first half of his career, he had a bunch of off-the-field problems that derailed it.

Lorenzen's ERA+ after his rookie season as an SP coming into this year was 130. The past two years? 146.

I did, and no they're not. Hernandez was not only volatile in the first half of his career, he had a bunch of off-the-field problems that derailed it.

Lorenzen's ERA+ after his rookie season as an SP coming into this year was 130. The past two years? 146.
    LOL OK ERA+ last 3 years before they stunk...165, 143, 109 vs 159, 134, 101. Which one is vastly superior?
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-09-2020 at 06:18 PM.

LOL OK ERA+ last 3 years before they stunk...165, 143, 109 vs 159, 134, 109. Which one is vastly superior?
    You keep editing your posts while I'm trying to respond...

Hernandez had an INCREDIBLE first half with the Angels in 2017. Outside of that, his 2013-2017 numbers were pure blah.

Meanwhile, look at Lorenzen's entire career and most importantly, his progression.

Hernandez was a great reclamation project in 2018 for the Reds. With that said, there was no evidence that he would be able do it again the following year. Like I said, his entire career is volatile.

You keep editing your posts while I'm trying to respond...

Hernandez had an INCREDIBLE first half with the Angels in 2017. Outside of that, his 2013-2017 numbers were pure blah.

Meanwhile, look at Lorenzen's entire career and most importantly, his progression.

Hernandez was a great reclamation project in 2018 for the Reds. With that said, there was no evidence that he would be able do it again the following year. Like I said, his entire career is volatile.
    I'm really just messing with you lol...my apologies. I don't think Hernandez was really that great to be honest. It was more of a joke when I responded to you about Hernandez. I'm a much bigger fan of Lorenzen than I ever was of Hernandez

My main point was that Bell's handling of Hernandez was absolutely atrocious and it destroyed him and we are seeing him make that same mistake with Lorenzen now. He is basically destroying Lorenzen's confidence. I'm actually a big fan of Lorenzen with all he can do but he needs to be dropped down to lower pressure situations before you ruin his psyche.

If you do that and let him get his confidence back he could be a force down the stretch. The guy hit 100 this year but between the ears he is struggling. It's pretty evident watching how upset he is getting the last couple appearances.
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-09-2020 at 06:43 PM.

11. Likes:

EnglishRed (08-09-2020),MrRedSkull (08-09-2020)

My main point was that Bell's handling of Hernandez was absolutely atrocious and it destroyed him and we are seeing him make that same mistake with Lorenzen now. He is basically destroying Lorenz's confidence. I'm actually a big fan of Lorenzen with all he can do but he needs to be dropped down to lower pressure situations before you ruin his psyche.
    I don't think these guys are that sensitive, these aren't rookies. They've done this for a while. Either they can gets out or they can't. Like with Hernandez, Lorenzen has been given some benefit of the doubt that his struggles were just a blip and he could get back on track, which I think is the appropriate course of action, but he simply continues to be atrocious. I don't know what the answer is but I don't see merit in continuing to run him out there. I'd option him to the alternate site with the hope that he can figure things out there and maybe come back better in a few weeks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-09-2020),OGB (08-09-2020),Ron Madden (08-09-2020)

It may have been posted -- is Lorenzen's velocity down from last year? Specifically on his fast ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    It may have been posted -- is Lorenzen's velocity down from last year? Specifically on his fast ball?
    No it's actually up! He hit 100 or 101 this year early on.

David Hernandez isn’t a perfect comp for Lorenzen, but he’s a good warning sign. Hernandez had two solid low 2 FIP seasons early in his career, then three 4 FIP seasons than two more 2 FIP seasons, then back to meh.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lorenzen had just as volatile career.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    David Hernandez isn’t a perfect comp for Lorenzen, but he’s a good warning sign. Hernandez had two solid low 2 FIP seasons early in his career, then three 4 FIP seasons than two more 2 FIP seasons, then back to meh.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lorenzen had just as volatile career.
    Lorenzen has already had an up and down career, he was real good in 2016, just kind of average in 2017 and 2018, and then really good again last year. It could be hyperbole but this seems less like volatility and more like a career suddenly in crisis.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

757690 (08-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Lorenzen has already had an up and down career, he was real good in 2016, just kind of average in 2017 and 2018, and then really good again last year. It could be hyperbole but this seems less like volatility and more like a career suddenly in crisis.
    This feels to me like we're going to hear about his sore elbow pretty soon.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

20. Likes:

mth123 (08-09-2020),REDREAD (08-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    This feels to me like we're going to hear about his sore elbow pretty soon.
    If I was Bell I'd make sure something like this happens. Give him some time off. He needs it.

Turn Off Ads?