Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs To Go

Re: David Bell Needs To Go

more at bats for a.a. needed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    more at bats for a.a. needed
    He was sent down. Again, this isn't just Bell. I think Aquino being an odd man out was the Organization's plan. They signed Shogo and Castellanos to play two of the OF spots and signed Moose to play 2B ensuring that Senzel would be the other OF. Those signings all look good at this point, but it left no role for Aquino, Ervin or Winker. Thanks to Covid-19 and the new geographically designed schedule, we have a DH making a role for Winker and Ervin. Aquino's options work against him, but they sure didn't make any of these guys a priority. I wish they would have moved one for a bullpen upgrade.

Personally, I have Aquino ahead of Van Meter, Davidson, Colon, Jankowski and Ervin on this roster and he'd be starting against all LHP and sometimes against RHP as guys need rest. I'd use Senzel at 2B when Moose, Votto and Suarez need rest with Moose moving around the IF as needed, Akiyama in CF and Aquino in a corner. The Reds want Senzel to settle into one spot and with the other acquisitions, Aquino will be a spare part this year and only get PT if injury requires it.

Aquino would also be the preferred defensive replacement for Castellanos instead of Jankowski. Aquino's arm is probably more valuable in RF than Jankowski's range (which I'm not convinced is that much better than Aquino's anyway).
    Last edited by mth123; 08-03-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

GAC (08-04-2020),Shoeless Jeff (08-04-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    While I've been critical of Bell, this team isn't a WS contender if Akiyama, Winker, Senzel, and Votto aren't in the .375-.475 OBP range. That might be a tall order, but they've shown to be capable of it.
    Votto is at .375. Winker .318. The other two under .300.
    The team OBP is .332 with the mashers (Moose, Cast) propping it up.
    This needs to be a higher OBP team to win.
    They are actually 11th on OBA in the majors, and that’s with the 3rd worse BABIP in the majors at .240.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    They are actually 11th on OBA in the majors, and that’s with the 3rd worse BABIP in the majors at .240.

How does that change the fact that they've played poorly and it's in large part due to the fact that 4 mainstays in their offense you rely on for OBP have tremendously underperformed?

I even said in my post that Cast and Moose were propping up team OBP, 2 guys you don't necessarily expect that from.

If those 4 guys weren't underperforming at an absurd rate, this team might be 8-2.

Even Votto who is at .375 is .46 below his career average.
    Last edited by OGB; 08-04-2020 at 12:52 AM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

How does that change the fact that they've played poorly and it's in large part due to the fact that 4 mainstays in their offense you rely on for OBP have tremendously underperformed?

I even said in my post that Cast and Moose were propping up team OBP, 2 guys you don't necessarily expect that from.

If those 4 guys weren't underperforming at an absurd rate, this team might be 8-2.

They went into today 3rd in MLB in OB.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think your just slicing and dicing the small sample thing. Ya cast is propping it up, but Suarez is doing the inverse.

Ups and downs but net result is still near the top in the league. It generally profiles as a high obp lineup, so it’s not exactly a surprise.

I think team low bapip is making things look less consistent throughout and we will see Shogo, winker, senzel, Suarez, join the votto, moose, cast crew in making it a team strength long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Do I need to repeat this?

"How does that change the fact that they've played poorly and it's in large part due to the fact that 4 mainstays in their offense you rely on for OBP have tremendously underperformed?

If those 4 guys weren't underperforming at an absurd rate, this team might be 8-2."

If Jesse Winker isn't .69 points lower than his career mlb OBP, this is a much better team.

If Votto isn't .46 points lower than his career average then this team is better.

Akiyama is .59 points lower than his career average and a few games ago was. 90 points lower than his career OBP.

I'm going to say this very slowly out loud as I type it:
    If
    The
    Main
    Guys
    They
    Rely
    On
    For
    OBP
    Weren't
    Underperforming
    Right
    Now
    This
    Team
    Would
    Be
    A
    Much
    Better
    Team
    Last edited by OGB; 08-04-2020 at 01:14 AM.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I think your just slicing and dicing the small sample thing. Ya cast is propping it up, but Suarez is doing the inverse.

Ups and downs but net result is still near the top in the league. It generally profiles as a high obp lineup, so it’s not exactly a surprise.

I think team low bapip is making things look less consistent throughout and we will see Shogo, winker, senzel, Suarez, join the votto, moose, cast crew in making it a team strength long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hope you're right.
    My whole point is that the 4 primary players you think you should count on to get on base* aren't performing near expectations, literally all 4 of them are underperforming.

*Granted, Senzel OBP projections are based in part on his minor league career and Shogo on his time in Japan.

Edited to add: I'm aware it's a small sample size. It just seems like this team has started out underperforming on offense for over a decade. I feel like they could be better now.
    I hate hate hate watching teams like the Yankees that seem to have 6 guys hitting .350 after 15 games every year.
    I'd just like to see more than half of this lineup start out the year successfully and not fall on their face.

To be fair, Senzel and Shogo seem to be playing better the last few games.
    Last edited by OGB; 08-04-2020 at 01:10 AM.
    -RichRed

12. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (08-04-2020)

Okay, so let's say the team got off to a slow start and limped to a 5-5 record after 10 games. Looking at the overall standings I'm seeing a lot of limping going on LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-04-2020)

David Bell Needs To Go

Do I need to repeat this?

"How does that change the fact that they've played poorly and it's in large part due to the fact that 4 mainstays in their offense you rely on for OBP have tremendously underperformed?

If those 4 guys weren't underperforming at an absurd rate, this team might be 8-2."

If Jesse Winker isn't .69 points lower than his career mlb OBP, this is a much better team.

If Votto isn't .46 points lower than his career average then this team is better.

Akiyama is .59 points lower than his career average and a few games ago was. 90 points lower than his career OBP.

I'm going to say this very slowly out loud as I type it:
    If
    The
    Main
    Guys
    They
    Rely
    On
    For
    OBP
    Weren't
    Underperforming
    Right
    Now
    This
    Team
    Would
    Be
    A
    Much
    Better
    Team
    You also said “this needs to be a higher OBP team to win”.

This is the statement posters are quibbling with. Even with a number of players scuffling, and a very low BABIP, the team’s OBA has been quite decent.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Reds are tied for second in the NL in walks drawn by offense. Second highest walk percentage. When the hits start dropping, Reds could easily lead the NL in on base percentage.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-04-2020 at 08:48 AM.

17. Likes:

M2 (08-04-2020),Old school 1983 (08-04-2020),PuffyPig (08-04-2020),RedForLife (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds are tied for second in the NL in walks drawn by offense. Second highest walk percentage.
    The reds hitters are drawing walks but are low in strikeouts.

The Reds pitchers are striking out tons (Lead the MLB per 9) and walking few.

Those stats bode well for the future.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-04-2020),Rdirtypirates (08-04-2020),Tony Cloninger (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The reds hitters are drawing walks but are low in strikeouts.

The Reds pitchers are striking out tons (Lead the MLB per 9) and walking few.

Those stats bode well for the future.

Good sign for new hitting coach.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Okay, so let's say the team got off to a slow start and limped to a 5-5 record after 10 games. Looking at the overall standings I'm seeing a lot of limping going on LOL
    Totally.

Nothing can be gleaned about the future of this team during this crazy ride of a season.

I'll just hope for the best and ride it out. It's nothing to get upset about.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

23. Likes:

M2 (08-04-2020),Ron Madden (08-04-2020),Roy Tucker (08-05-2020),savafan (08-05-2020),Tony Cloninger (08-04-2020)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Garrett pitching only when the Reds fell behind 4-2 tonight is the latest WTF moment for one David BeLL.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

25. Likes:

DocRed (08-05-2020),topsyt (08-04-2020)

Turn Off Ads?