Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs To Go

Re: David Bell Needs To Go

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Jankowski was already out of the game though.
    Thanks. I realized that after and edited accordingly. Hard to keep up with all the shuffling here.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-12-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Should Bell get the Price treatment (leash), we'll only have him around for a mere 486 more games.

So a neat three more full years. Let the good times roll.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Why do we have to deal with extremes in Reds managers. Baker could at least motivate and get the team up to play as annoying as his lineups were. No Votto for over a month in 2912 and they won more and pulled away in the division.
    No help from the FO in 2013 when Ludwick goes down. Horrible bench contributions because not a penny more could be spared that year but they still won 90 games. I know this is a whacked season but Bell has as much talent as the 2012-13 teams except probably the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Why do we have to deal with extremes in Reds managers. Baker could at least motivate and get the team up to play as annoying as his lineups were. No Votto for over a month in 2912 and they won more and pulled away in the division.
    No help from the FO in 2013 when Ludwick goes down. Horrible bench contributions because not a penny more could be spared that year but they still won 90 games. I know this is a whacked season but Bell has as much talent as the 2012-13 teams except probably the bullpen.
    Well Dusty was holding the team back...so we got Price and now Bell.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Tonight broke me. I’m now on the GTFO train.
    Bell will never make you regret it.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-13-2020 at 01:46 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Neither did Bell.
    Ok, he PR Jankowski for Votto and then replaced Jankowski with Colon. He took Votto out of the game. It was dumb.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Honest question, does an "embrace of analytics" by the manager really equate to pulling the team's best hitters for pinch runners/defensive replacements when we have a thin bench?
    Especially when the pulled players could potentially have 1-2 or more ABs, the games are close, and the bullpen is lousy.

I prefer to think of it as put in your strongest RP to face 3-4-5 in the 8th instead of holding onto him for the 9th...or maybe building your lineup properly around OBP and handedness as opposed to speed/position.

I want my starters to play 9 innings 95% of the time when the bench can't hit to save its life.
    Last edited by OGB; 08-13-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

10. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-13-2020)

Is Bell really an analytics nut or does he just have OCD.

12. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-13-2020),Old school 1983 (08-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Honest question, does an "embrace of analytics" by the manager really equate to pulling the team's best hitters for pinch runners/defensive replacements when we have a thin bench?
    Especially when the pulled players could potentially have 1-2 or more ABs, the games are close, and the bullpen is lousy.

I prefer to think of it as put in your strongest RP to face 3-4-5 in the 8th instead of holding onto him for the 9th.

I want my starters to play 9 innings 95% of the time when the bench can't hit to save it's life.
    I mean, this is a pretty bad squad defensively. If you're gonna embrace the just slug it attitude the team actually needs to score runs in bunches, and that hasn't quite been the case yet. Ideally there would be more games like back on Opening Day when the offense and starting pitching both clicked and then you can bring in better defenders for the last inning or two.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-13-2020)

He gets constantly defended here as "finally being the guy who takes an analytical approach."

Dusty was behind the times and had many faults, but I bet he'd win at least 35 with this team.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-13-2020),Tony Cloninger (08-13-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

My guess is that he, like most managers in the game at this point, probably get a massive amount of input from the GM and other front office types as to how to use the roster. I’m sure he buys into it or he wouldn’t have the job, but it seems most new managers from the last few years are figureheads who carry out their GM’s marching orders. Hence the influx of guys with literally no managerial experience getting jobs, like your Aaron Boone’s and whatnot.

18. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (08-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I mean, this is a pretty bad squad defensively. If you're gonna embrace the just slug it attitude the team actually needs to score runs in bunches, and that hasn't quite been the case yet. Ideally there would be more games like back on Opening Day when the offense and starting pitching both clicked and then you can bring in better defenders for the last inning or two.
    That's true, but when the offense is underperforming, one of your best sluggers is out, and games are close, I'd rather leave my best hitters in all game than sub in defensive players who are almost garunteed to fail when you need runs.
    -RichRed

20. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (08-13-2020)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    He gets constantly defended here as "finally being the guy who takes an analytical approach."

Dusty was behind the times and had many faults, but I bet he'd win at least 35 with this team.
    I believe that both process and results matter. I can overlook short term results if I believe the process in place is correct. But some people take it WAY too far. Ultimately, results are absolutely more important. That was always my take on Dusty. When he left the Giants he had taken them farther than they’d been in decades. Same with the Cubs. Same with the Reds. At some point it becomes foolish to focus so heavily on the process that you ignore the results. We are quickly reaching the similar point with Bell— unfortunately it’s just the opposite though.

22. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-13-2020),Boss-Hog (08-13-2020),dubc47834 (08-13-2020),Edd Roush (08-13-2020),jimbo (08-13-2020),OGB (08-13-2020),Revering4Blue (08-13-2020),Tony Cloninger (08-13-2020)

The one Bell move, actually non-move, that bothers me about tonight was leaving Colon up in the ninth.

The Reds were in perfect position to tie or win, and Colon usually makes contact, but you need somebody with a chance to drive the ball.

Davidson is a hot hitter, his OPS is up to .965, albeit mostly against LHP. He was available and a better choice. If someone needed to play out of position in extras, so be it, you’re still in the game.

When someone is in for defense, as Colon was tonight, it doesn’t mean you’re stuck with them, it’s a 28 man roster. Wish they would have made that move.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-13-2020 at 12:47 AM.

24. Likes:

OGB (08-13-2020),Old school 1983 (08-13-2020),Revering4Blue (08-13-2020),Tom Servo (08-13-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The one Bell move, actually non-move, that bothers me about tonight was leaving Colon up in the ninth.

The Reds were in perfect position to tie or win, and Colon usually makes contact, but you need somebody with a chance to drive the ball.

Davidson is a hot hitter, his OPS is up to .965, albeit mostly against LHP. He was available and a better choice. If someone needed to play out of position in extras, so be it, you’re still in the game.

When someone is in for defense, as Colon was tonight, it doesn’t mean you’re stuck with them, it’s a 28 man roster. Wish they would have made that move.
    Davidson's OPS isn't mostly against LHP, it's entirely against LHP. He's 0-7 against RHP this year, no walks, no HBP. That said, yeah, I'd let him hit and figure out the defense if needed later.

26. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-13-2020),Edd Roush (08-13-2020),Tom Servo (08-13-2020)

Turn Off Ads?