Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs To Go

Re: David Bell Needs To Go

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Davidson's OPS isn't mostly against LHP, it's entirely against LHP. He's 0-7 against RHP this year, no walks, no HBP. That said, yeah, I'd let him hit and figure out the defense if needed later.
    The other choice was Casali. And frankly he would have ok as well. Not doing much this year but generally solid.

If Bell’s mantra is to play aggressively to win, then he should carry that philosophy through. I thought he was cautious with Colon, probably concerned about the defense if Reds tied.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Boy howdy that was terrible.
    Go Gators!

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-13-2020),mgbrown66 (08-13-2020),Roy Tucker (08-13-2020),TheBigLebowski (08-13-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The other choice was Casali. And frankly he would have ok as well. Not doing much this year but generally solid.

If Bell’s mantra is to play aggressively to win, then he should carry that philosophy through. I thought he was cautious with Colon, probably concerned about the defense if Reds tied.
    Sure. Either choice is fine. Figure out the defense if you need to. Got to score before that even matters.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-13-2020),Kc61 (08-13-2020),Old school 1983 (08-13-2020)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

180 games into the David Bell Era. You had to know what you were in for after 70-80 games. Don't mean to be harsh, but you shouldn't have needed that.

No, he's not going to "grow into the job", lol. He'll be doing the same comedy routine, and give the same bloodless interviews 180 games from now.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-13-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

9. Likes:

jimbo (08-13-2020),TheBigLebowski (08-13-2020)

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

The Operator (08-13-2020)

I'm just not a believer in playing guys who aren't up to major league standards by choice. I'm happy for guys like Jankowski and Colon. They get to live the big league life (Covid version) accumulate service time and make big league pay. Good for them, but they really aren't up to big league standards as players. I see the need for guys like that in case of emergency, but I don't see the need to make a conscious choice to use them as part of the game plan.

I wish they'd cut back to 24 or 25 guys who are actually big league guys and leave the others on the Prasco/taxi squad available in case injuries hit. On the position player side Barnhart/Casali, Votto, Moose (When Healthy), Galvis, Suarez with Farmer as the main back-up,. Shogo, Senzel and Castellanos in the OF with Winker at DH. Aquino as 4th OF possibly platooning with Shogo but hot hitters like Winker currently get a spot ahead of sticking to the platoon. Davidson seems to have earned a role as RH DH. That's about it. Maybe Ervin if they want another extra guy. No one else need play unless all of those guys aren't available.

The pitching side is a little more difficult to sort out because there are so many question marks in the pen. I'd probably stick with the planned rotation while using Iggy as closer, Garrett in the late inning mix with Sims. Mahle and Antone in multi-inning roles. Eventually Lorenzen and Strop need worked back in, but I'm not sure when or how. If Stephenson ever gets healthy he'd be in the mix with Sims. The rest would only be used in case of emergency, to soak up garbage innings in blowouts or when they are in extra innings and simply have no other pitcher available.

Win or lose with the big league team. Quit lowering the overall talent level by mixing in others too much.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-13-2020 at 05:50 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-13-2020),Bunting Bad (08-13-2020),Edd Roush (08-13-2020),jimbo (08-13-2020),jwdoc77 (08-13-2020),Old school 1983 (08-13-2020),Patrick Bateman (08-13-2020)

Bell manages like my nephew's rec league coach. He always forgets that all players have to get at least one at bat. He manages every game to win like game 7 of the world series. When it is close at the end, he realizes the kids on the bench haven't had an at bat. The last 2 innings are 3 up, 3 down.

15. Likes:

mgbrown66 (08-13-2020)

Fans complain about their manager. Stop the presses.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-13-2020),Edd Roush (08-13-2020),mth123 (08-13-2020),Ron Madden (08-13-2020),westofyou (08-13-2020)

Bell would have been a decent manager 20 years ago, perhaps.

But it's a 3 outcome AB these days. This imaginary chess game Bell is playing... Baseball is checkers now, especially with the DH. Except in RARE circumstances, put your best 9 in to bat and let the game play out.

Taking Votto out last night, with the weak bench the Reds have anyway, was stupid.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 08-13-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

19. Likes:

malcontent (08-13-2020),Old school 1983 (08-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Fans complain about their manager. Stop the presses.
    One thing not discussed much, but I don't think this is just the manager. I think the 28 man roster and how players will be used is part of the organizational philosophy. I'd be shocked if this frenetic use of role playing scrubs wasn't part of the plan all along. Bell is making the in game moves, but those move are consistent with the job he was hired to do IMO. The organization needs to change the philosophy and Bell can either get on board or part ways. I don't see the organization doing that any time soon.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-13-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    One thing not discussed much, but I don't think this is just the manager. I think the 28 man roster and how players will be used is part of the organizational philosophy. I'd be shocked if this frenetic use of role playing scrubs wasn't part of the plan all along. Bell is making the in game moves, but those move are consistent with the job he was hired to do IMO. The organization needs to change the philosophy and Bell can either get on board or part ways. I don't see the organization doing that any time soon.
    I agree, I’ve expressed a lot of frustration with Bell for that particular habit on here, but I’ve always gotten the feeling that it was part of a bigger plan than what he’s come up with by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So just curious. What’s the job he was hired to do? Are these all in-game tryouts or is it using to the max the lefty-righty matchups and defensive replacements starting about the 6th inning? i.e. if you got ‘em, play ‘em, leave no bullets in your holster.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So just curious. What’s the job he was hired to do? Are these all in-game tryouts or is it using to the max the lefty-righty matchups and defensive replacements starting about the 6th inning? i.e. if you got ‘em, play ‘em, leave no bullets in your holster.
    Many of Bell’s moves last night worked - or at least resulted in good opportunities. He pinch hit VM for Farmer and he homered. In both the eighth and ninth Reds had tying and winning run in scoring position with one out.

The hitters did not come through. The Reds couldn’t get a fly ball. At some point, they just lost the game, the Royals pitchers prevented the big hit or sacrifice fly.

Not that Bell managed perfectly, he deserves some blame, but this thread is overkill. There are player performance issues and flaws in the roster.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-13-2020 at 09:02 AM.

25. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-13-2020),TeamSelig (08-13-2020)

Bell is part of the problem with his over managing, but he isn't the whole problem. The relief pitching is terrible, the starters are a pull the ball/HR team, and the bench players that get utilized for match ups aren't talented enough at the big league level to maintain success in their roles.

There is a lot that needs fixing with the Reds.

27. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (08-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He wouldn’t have PR’d Colon for Votto though for real
    I was watching with my dad and told him that this will bite the Reds in the butt if they need Vottos bat later...and it did. Flip side is, Votto likely doesn’t go first to third on Winkers single, and, if Senzel could have just put the ball in play, we’d not be having this discussion.

Turn Off Ads?