Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs To Go

Re: David Bell Needs To Go

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaReds View Post
    I'm not saying that Bell needs to be fired, but bad pitching changes and terrible fundamentals are two things that poorly managed baseball teams have. And the Reds have those in spades right now.
    Do we have to blame Bell for everything?

He doesn't have a magic wand that can turn a bad bullpen into a good one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Do we have to blame Bell for everything?

He doesn't have a magic wand that can turn a bad bullpen into a good one.
    Theres a difference between blaming someone for the bullpen being bad, and holding the manager accountable for his questionable decisions which have turned out bad. I do feel very comfortable blaming Bell for habits such as getting picked off in close games and infielders giving runs away, all of which has happened in the game tonight.

There was nothing questionable about taking Antone out of the game. He put in Lorenzen, who's supposed to be one of the guys he can rely on in the bullpen. Instead, he's got a 12+ ERA and has given up runs in 4 out of 5 appearances.

Bell doesn't run the bases. This isn't the pony leagues where they practice getting a lead and stealing bases every practice.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-05-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

How much of this is his fault is debatable, but some of it is. And this team is a mess.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

There was nothing questionable about taking Antone out of the game. He put in Lorenzen, who's supposed to be one of the guys he can rely on in the bullpen. Instead, he's got a 12+ ERA and has given up runs in 4 out of 5 appearances.

Bell doesn't run the bases. This isn't the pony leagues where they practice getting a lead and stealing bases every practice.
    No, this is the MLB where you are held accountable when your team is losing. When you have millions dollars invested in athletes and they are routinely costing the Reds runs, the manager needs to either fix that asap or Dick needs to find someone who can. I can't believe how embarrassing it is when most of the posters in the game thread know that as soon as the bullpen is brought into the game, the other team is getting runs.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaReds View Post
    No, this is the MLB where you are held accountable when your team is losing. When you have millions dollars invested in athletes and they are routinely costing the Reds runs, the manager needs to either fix that asap or Dick needs to find someone who can. I can't believe how embarrassing it is when most of the posters in the game thread know that as soon as the bullpen is brought into the game, the other team is getting runs.
    The ghost of Sparky Anderson could manage this team and the bullpen would still be a disaster.

Perhaps Dick should have gotten a quality RP or two, knowing he had the horses in the rotation to be very competitive? Instead, they added a couple question marks to an already weak bullpen and crossed their fingers.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

It also could play into whether Bauer and Castellanos decide to stay or go.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-06-2020),MR X (08-05-2020)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Didn't watch tonight. Starting a personal boycott to benefit my own health and sanity. A friend said they had two TOOTBLANs and two or three awful defensive plays, noting that Cleveland just won two games with only one or two hard-hit balls the last 24 hours.

For whom the BeLL toLLs...
    Rounding third and heading for home...

The ghost of Sparky Anderson could manage this team and the bullpen would still be a disaster.

Perhaps Dick should have gotten a quality RP or two, knowing he had the horses in the rotation to be very competitive? Instead, they added a couple question marks to an already weak bullpen and crossed their fingers.
    I think it's a combination of things. I agree Dick should've gotten a quality bullpen arm or two this off season. I also think Bell's management of the bullpen and pitching staff has cost the Reds multiple games this year already.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Didn't watch tonight. Starting a personal boycott to benefit my own health and sanity. A friend said they had two TOOTBLANs and two or three awful defensive plays, noting that Cleveland just won two games with only one or two hard-hit balls the last 24 hours.

For whom the BeLL toLLs...
    Can you believe they tortured us with Price for 666 games before they finally pulled the plug? When it should have been apparent after the first 80 or so games to anyone with eyes and ears that it was all just a horrible exercise in futility? And then, as if the torture wasn't already unbearable, we had to deal for years with all the excuses from apologists on this forum.

So I'm somewhat relieved that people seem to not want this to linger. Of course, the FO will probably drag it out for years, using the craziness of 2020 as an excuse.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-05-2020 at 11:57 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

14. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-06-2020),MrRedSkull (08-07-2020)

I had to look that up:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/m...ricebr99.shtml

Bryan Price did indeed manage 666 games for the Reds.

That's just strange...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

16. Likes:

757690 (08-06-2020),Griffey012 (08-06-2020),Kilgore_Trout (08-06-2020),M2 (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I had to look that up:

That's just strange...
    Seems appropriate.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Banshee (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I had to look that up:

That's just strange...
    Perfectly poetic
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

This thread is obnoxious, but I'm glad people have a place to vent and seek refuge from the other threads...

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Can you believe they tortured us with Price for 666 games before they finally pulled the plug? When it should have been apparent after the first 80 or so games to anyone with eyes and ears that it was all just a horrible exercise in futility? And then, as if the torture wasn't already unbearable, we had to deal for years with all the excuses from apologists on this forum.

So I'm somewhat relieved that people seem to not want this to linger. Of course, the FO will probably drag it out for years, using the craziness of 2020 as an excuse.
    The only reason I was never more up in arms about Price as Reds manager (and I didn't care for him) was that the organization was making it pretty clear they were making a half butt effort to win and I didn't want to bring someone like Barry Larkin in to be forced to wallow in that.

Bell's brief tenure as manager has been a far more bitter pill to swallow because he has the tools to have a far better baseball team than what we've been subjected to.

If people want to think that's lame, so be it, but that's been my thought process.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

23. Likes:

malcontent (08-06-2020),MrRedSkull (08-07-2020),TheBigLebowski (08-06-2020)

Turn Off Ads?