Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scariest short stories, novels, and movies

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Scariest short stories, novels, and movies

Has anybody mentioned "The Omen" yet?

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-18-2019),marcshoe (11-01-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It was on the list I whittled down, but ended up being cut because I've seen it too many times for it to be that scary to me anymore. It probably still deserved a spot. This was a tough list.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-02-2018)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I always loved Stephen King's "One for the Road."

7. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (11-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I always loved Stephen King's "One for the Road."
    Good bookend, along with Jerusalem's Lot.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

9. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (11-09-2018)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Good bookend, along with Jerusalem's Lot.
    When I was in college and had an auditorium class...I would sit in the back row and read Salem's Lot haha....

Don't know if they've been mentioned, but no list is complete without the original The Shining and Psycho. Perkins and Nicholson Wow!

I'd also have to add Rosemary's Baby and Night Of The Living Dead. That one freaked me out.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-02-2018 at 05:32 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-02-2018),cumberlandreds (11-02-2018),marcshoe (11-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    All the blood and gore in a movie like that gets tiresome and you begin to wonder why are they showing all of that?
    JMO, but I think it does desensitize people. Doesn't really matter as much how good/bad the plot is - you know people are going to get their throats cut, diced up, with plenty of blood everywhere. Pretty repetitive and predictable.

I've never seen any of the Saw movies, and have no intention to. But a couple of my kids watched them (and Mom too) when they first came out, so I watched certain pieces of the first couple with the kids explaining to me what was going on, etc, and it really bothered me that they were finding enjoyment in a movie where a killer doesn't kill his helpless victims outright, but likes to put them in "games" where they are tortured, mutilated, and very few escape these brutal mechanical traps.

I'm one who believes that the movies a respective generation watches/popularizes is somewhat reflective of that society. And when it comes to the horror genre, we've come a long way since the 1931 Frankenstein to today. And I guess there is no line we dare not to cross. There is for me though.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-02-2018),cumberlandreds (11-02-2018),marcshoe (11-12-2018)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Another one that I had forgot about that was based on a true story is "The Entity". Good read and a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Don't know if they've been mentioned, but no list is complete without the original The Shining and Psycho. Perkins and Nicholson Wow!

I'd also have to add Rosemary's Baby and Night Of The Living Dead. That one freaked me out.
    Me and the wife had never watched The Shining. We started it Halloween night but have't finished it yet. We will finish it this weekend sometime. I like it so far. Nicholson is great!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I love this, so many new things I need to check out.

Here's some slightly more modern stuff that I guess would be some of my top picks, mostly things I have come across in the past few years, but not all:

The Lottery, Shirley Jackson
    I think about this all the time. I hate that so many things bring it to mind, actually.

The Jaunt, Stephen King
    You read a lot of things and it's scary, sure, whatever, but too rare is to truly feel something in your chest. The end of this one does it.

Hereditary
    I can't say anything without spoiling, I was just really grateful I didn't watch this with my wife because she'd have been scarred. It's dark, and like The Jaunt, you really feel it deep. Not jump scares (which I'm not even against, especially in a theater, that can be fun) just truly horrific.

A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
    I've brough Tremblay up in a marcshoe thread before, but this is so good. So, so good.

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix
    Thought I was reading something trashy with a funny concept, and good god, no. Cinematic, I have to think this will be a movie at some point.

The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll
    This is another one that has stuck with me, and that I still think about quite often. It's a truly bonkers story. I need to read more of Carroll.

Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and The VVitch
    I feel like these sort of go together. I think The Witch is one of my all time favorite movies, and I think time is going to be really kind to it. I believe it'll be looked at as one of the best movies of this decade, eventually.

Run by Blake Crouch
    Crouch is sort of a hack, but good at writing page turners. You get a short way into this and feel incredible dread and tension and then you start thinking about all the people who have gone through something like this, in the normal non-supernatural ways human beings are terrible to each other at scale, and it's much, much worse. You could probably teach this in a high school.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
    One of my favorite books ever. I think some people dismiss it as gimmicky (for the layout) too quickly and miss how great it is. I wish I could read it for the first time again.
    I was going to say Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery," which always threw me because my first encounter with her writing was in a baseball anthology with an excerpt from a book of hers that has to do with kids playing baseball that is just wonderfully sweet.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

For me, it will always be the original "Night Gallery". Don't even want to talk about it any more than this.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

19. Likes:

919191 (10-17-2020)

bumping this so I can find it tomorrow.

I'm going with, "Something Wicked This Way Comes".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Horror I consumed this year, thanks to Goodreads and Letterboxd I can actually remember:

The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...the-gone-world
    Highly recommend if you like noir or enjoyed the first season of True Detective

The Institute by Stephen King
    Eh, it was fine for late career King

The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming by David Wallace-Wells
    Extremely scary, will not discuss further since this isn't a political thread

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...osemary-s-baby
    First time I'd read it, the takeaway is the gaslighting more than the satanic stuff. Little antiquated, but interesting.

Movies:

The Blackcoat's Daughter - Very good, so long as you're comfortable with atmospheric

Train to Busan - About as good as a zombie movie can be in 2019, worth watching

Bone Tomahawk - About 10 minutes of movie in 2 hours and 20 minutes of runtime. Sucked, despite some good acting performances, should have bailed.

Midsommar - Very good, was it really horror though?

Us - An all timer

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - Actually scary at times, which I don't think too often. But not sure if I would recommend or not, still am not 100% sure what I think of this one, I can see it being polarizing.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Don't know how much time I'll be able to put in, but here are a couple from Ellen Datlow's Year's Best Horror that stuck with me:

Where's the Harm by Rebecca Lloyd, This story about Wyrd sisters could have come from a Robert Aickman collection

The Starry Crown by Marc E. Fitch - you can't go wrong with a rural cult, no matter what Nicholas Cage might tell you. More later, I hope.

Turn Off Ads?