Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scariest short stories, novels, and movies

Re: Scariest short stories, novels, and movies

I don't think I'll add to this. My sister, who lived this kind of stuff, was killed in an ATV accident this afternoon. Please, everyone else continue. I need escapist suggestions.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I don't think I'll add to this. My sister, who lived this kind of stuff, was killed in an ATV accident this afternoon. Please, everyone else continue. I need escapist suggestions.
    My heart goes out to you, bro.

Your dog is there for you.

"A Dog's Purpose"
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

Redsfaithful (10-21-2019)

My sister, who lived this kind of stuff, was killed in an ATV accident this afternoon. I need escapist suggestions.
    I'm sorry to hear about your sister's death.

I want you to know that I lost my brother tragically as well, so if you ever want to discuss it please don't hesitate - pm me.

As far as distraction - I don't know what your hobbies are or how old you are but I can tell you that when my brother passed I opened an imdb account on the suggestion of a professor in my life at the time, and I proceeded to watch hundreds of films and rate them and discuss them on that account. Unfortunately they've since done away with their chat based forums, but you can still rate and keep track of films on there (and I'm sure there are other platforms out there to discuss them). I've rated over 4,000 films since I created the account. I don't know if that's something that would work for you but it's a suggestion - and it somewhat worked for me as a distraction.

Again, don't hesitate to pm me.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-20-2019),Redsfaithful (10-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    My heart goes out to you, bro.

Your dog is there for you.

"A Dog's Purpose"
    Also mentioned my a member of my dissertation reading circle. She wondered whether there was a book, and I forgot to look it up.

As an aside, my sister was born about a week before the 1975 Series, and it took me a few games before I realized why Denny Doyle looked so familiar; he looked just like her newborn picture.

Thanks.

btw, I was immersed in dissertation work before, and I'm jumping back in tomorrow. I'll probably cope by making rude comments on the politics board, too.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-21-2019),Kingspoint (10-20-2019),NebraskaRed (10-31-2019),Redsfaithful (10-21-2019),RichRed (10-21-2019)

I can't even tell you how sorry I am to hear that marcshoe. Just awful news.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I am very sorry for this news. I can't say the right words to make you feel any better but to know many people will be there to help you get through this tragedy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Very sorry, Marc. Thinking of you and your family.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Oh my....that is terrible. So sorry to hear this, Marc.

I’ll do my best for suggestions:

The Thing (Kurt Russell version)
    Army of Darkness (this one is more of a comedy)
    Ginger Snaps
    Chopping Mall (again, comedy)
    Shaun of the Dead
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    For me, it will always be the original "Night Gallery". Don't even want to talk about it any more than this.
    The Roddy McDowell painting story? I found that to be incredibly frightening!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

14. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    The Roddy McDowell painting story? I found that to be incredibly frightening!
    Oh, God, yes!
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Marc, so sorry to hear about your loss.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks everyone.

Now for novels. I shouldn't have started this; it's impossible. Since RF included Trembley, I'll leave him out. I ended up with 13, my last, painful, cut being Coraline. btw, I'm thinking the Calamander Box shouldn't have been on yesterday's list, but that's okay. If you want, replace it with Saki's Sredni Vashtar.

1. Salem’s Lot by Stephen King. If you don't know what this is about, I'm not going to tell you. Edges out The Shining, Pet Semmetary, It, etc. Some of this has to do with reading it in the dead of winter alone in a dorm room. Some of it is that I love vampires.

2. Shadowland by Peter Straub I haven't been able to read as much Straub as I like, because he goes further than I am willing to follow. He does so a bit in this book, which is difficult to describe. It's a surreal experience of a boy and his friend visiting, I think, a magician uncle who is more of a sorcerer. The name of the boys' bully, Skeleton Ridpath, is etched deep in my mind. I'm not sure why, but I think it's the best character name this side of Dickens. And the book is immersive and frightening.

3. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury I devoured Bradbury for a while, and he remains my literary hero. The movie was better than it was given credit for being at the time, an era of over-the top horror, and the book is even better. Mr. Dark is my last nightmare. Always.

4. Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber I read this fairly recently. I have always been slightly disappointed by Leiber's short fiction, but this was right in his wheelhouse. It's a perfect seventies story set in San Francisco with horror oozing out of what would be simply weird.

5. Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill I didn't know who he was when I started reading this, and I kept thinking that he wrote ridiculously like Stephen King, so I looked him up, saw his picture, and thought he was even trying to look like him. This one's great, as a less-than-heroic aging rock star orders a ghost in the mail.

6.Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. This one's a flat-out Stephen King pastiche, but I still found it scarier than Carrion Comfort (although The Terror came close). Think 'It' or 'Stranger Things'. The last day of school before the kids move to a new building leads to some horrific discoveries and a threat caused by something called the Borgia Bell. Teachers and Principal are evil, both before and after death.

7. December by Phil Rickman The Merrily Watkins books, about a CofE exorcist, I mean deliverance minister, are Rickman's best work, but this is his scariest. Some of the character return in the Watkins series. This book involves a recording studio in a haunted mansion and the ghost of John Lennon. Seriously.

8.Dracula by Bram Stoker. Did I mention I like vampires? This one holds up. You might have heard of it.

9. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern who really needs to write another book. Surreal and as good as you've heard. It's been impossible to film to this point, but I'd love to try. The black and white circus with splashes of red is too cinematic to leave alone.

10.The Historian by Elizabeh Kostova Did I mention I like vampires? This one's about a woman whose father disappears after receiving a book that's blank except for a drawing of Vlad Tepisch, aka Dracul. This book made me want to go to eastern Europe, and I will one day. Also features an evil, Renfield-ish, librarian. It's a slow book, but the writing's so good I didn't care.

11.Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein. Not horror, but terrifying, from the barrow-wights through the ringwraiths, balrogs, and Sauron himself.

12.The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. He said it was a ghost story, and who am I to argue. Very much like M.R. James, involves a gentlemen's club (no, not that kind!) a confused governess, an evil dead man, and, of course, the turn--children.

13.Intensity by Dean Koontz I absolutely hated Watchers and wasn't crazy about one or two others I read, but this one, which isn't supernatural, gets inside the head of a psychopath in a way that made me want to crawl in a hole and shovel dirt over me.

Let's leave it there, even if there is no At the Mountains of Madness or Graveyard Book, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

The Hex and House of Leaves are on my to-read list.
    I've started the Hex now and need to get back to it. I have more reading time than before.

I need to add something by Ramsey Campbell to the novel list, probably The Hungry Moon, which goes deep. I just finished The Darkest Part of the Woods, which has a terrifying conclusion, but still not as overall creepy as Moon.

Another nod towards Erin Morgenstern's "The Night Circus" although I don't know that "scary" is how I would describe it. It's not for everyone, but the folks who like it love it. It's the best thing I've ever read. She does have another novel out now. It suffered in comparison.

Oh. And you can do much worse than Mary Shelly's original Frankenstien. Again it's a style of prose that isn't for everyone, but it's effective.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

20. Likes:

marcshoe (10-15-2020)

One of the creepiest television shows ever aired was The Twilight Zone episode entitled “The Hitchhiker.”

Creepiest movies: Eyes Without a Face, Carnival of Souls
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-15-2020 at 05:30 PM.

22. Likes:

marcshoe (10-15-2020)

Turn Off Ads?