Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Food I have no idea why I like

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Food I have no idea why I like

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Try adding a can of tuna fish and and some peas.
    Peas or green beans in there is outstanding.

I'll keep the tuna for sandwiches.

2. Likes:

jimbo (11-11-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I hated raw onions until about 3-4 months ago and now I can’t get enough raw onion in salads and burgers.
    I hated onions as a kid, like them now.

But I don't like how they are thrown in to many poor (in the not good sense) or lazy recipes as the secret flavor ingredient. Gotta up your game.

ya'll are gross.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

6. Likes:

dougdirt (11-12-2018)

I can tell a lot of people on RZ skipped home ec in highschool.

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I can tell a lot of people on RZ skipped home ec in highschool.
    After I almost got kicked out in 8th grade for pelting some dude with a cheese biscuit, I just decided to skip it in high school.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    After I almost got kicked out in 8th grade for pelting some dude with a cheese biscuit, I just decided to skip it in high school.
    You made a cheese biscuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    You made a cheese biscuit?
    We made like a dozen of them. One of them got thrown across the room at a kid. It bounced off of his head.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    We made like a dozen of them. One of them got thrown across the room at a kid. It bounced off of his head.
    So biscuits should be outlawed? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    So biscuits should be outlawed? LOL
    Depends on the cook.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-15-2018)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I have been served biscuits that should have been against the law, as they were dense -- possibly weapons-grade -- abominations. I would have gladly lobbed them in the general direction of the head of the person who served them, if I weren't such a gentleman.

But that's not why I'm here.

I just noticed the "cream of mushroom soup into mac 'n' cheese" thing.... and I can almost envision early 00's me going to town on that as an ingenious Under One Dollar One Pot Meal. I messed around a lot with hamburger helper, mac 'n' cheese, pasta/rice, sauce/gravy pouches, and the like, attempting to goose carb-heavy, pre-drinking meals out of them. Ones that wouldn't be quite as crappy as just making mac 'n' cheese/ramen/whatever on its own, without the flourishes.

I'm happy to say that this college-age and early 20s habit of mine dissipated over time, but my appetite for cheese with mushroom stuck around. It was probably informed by a Lipton branded "noodle pouch" sold during my youth, called "Noodles Romanoff." As I started working to "upscale" my skills, I replaced the milk from mac 'n' cheese with sour cream, and added the canned cream of mushroom. Added a bit of garlic powder and onion powder as a next step. For many years, that was a staple go-to for me. Not quite the same as mentioned earlier, but in the ballpark.

[I have since updated again to a grown-up recipe that involves some amount of beef stock, real mushrooms, and real cheese, but I gather this isn't the thread for showing off your Food Genius. It's the thread for showing off Food Grossness That Somehow Is Edible.]

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    I have been served biscuits that should have been against the law, as they were dense -- possibly weapons-grade -- abominations. I would have gladly lobbed them in the general direction of the head of the person who served them, if I weren't such a gentleman.

But that's not why I'm here.

I just noticed the "cream of mushroom soup into mac 'n' cheese" thing.... and I can almost envision early 00's me going to town on that as an ingenious Under One Dollar One Pot Meal. I messed around a lot with hamburger helper, mac 'n' cheese, pasta/rice, sauce/gravy pouches, and the like, attempting to goose carb-heavy, pre-drinking meals out of them. Ones that wouldn't be quite as crappy as just making mac 'n' cheese/ramen/whatever on its own, without the flourishes.

I'm happy to say that this college-age and early 20s habit of mine dissipated over time, but my appetite for cheese with mushroom stuck around. It was probably informed by a Lipton branded "noodle pouch" sold during my youth, called "Noodles Romanoff." As I started working to "upscale" my skills, I replaced the milk from mac 'n' cheese with sour cream, and added the canned cream of mushroom. Added a bit of garlic powder and onion powder as a next step. For many years, that was a staple go-to for me. Not quite the same as mentioned earlier, but in the ballpark.

[I have since updated again to a grown-up recipe that involves some amount of beef stock, real mushrooms, and real cheese, but I gather this isn't the thread for showing off your Food Genius. It's the thread for showing off Food Grossness That Somehow Is Edible.]
    Try browning some ground beef mixture to a medium, sauteing some mushrooms and add it to the beef, add golden mushroom soup and mix it all together, and then baking it with tater tots on top.

Doesn't anybody around here just eat a fried bologna sandwich? Makes me hungry.

My kids turned me on to Wendy’s fries dipped in a Wendys Frosty.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

When I was in college and broke, I’d steal some ketchup packets and saltines from a fast food place and make “tomato” soup. Mix ketchup with water, heat it up, and crumble in the crackers.

Hey, I was hungry.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Try browning some ground beef mixture to a medium, sauteing some mushrooms and add it to the beef, add golden mushroom soup and mix it all together, and then baking it with tater tots on top.
    A former lazy-single-man skillet meal for me was chunks of chicken, sliced mushrooms, and tons of garlic sauteed, and then dump in a can of golden mushroom and a 2" hunk of Velveeta, served over mashed potatoes. As my palate (and kitchen skills) improved, consuming 17 daily allowances of sodium in one sitting made less and less sense to me, though.

Turn Off Ads?