Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2018-19, part 2: Offense gone wild

Re: NBA 2018-19, part 2: Offense gone wild

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Nicely done, Steel!

Regarding the bench, it's likely only a matter of when (and not if) reinforcements arrive via trade/buyouts or both, even factoring in Zaire Smith's impact. I have no objection to acquiring both Chandler and Muscala - to a certain extent (see below) - in isolation. But when Tyreke Evans (and impact bench-players of the like) were there for the taking in the off-season, it's indefensible that Chandler and Muscala - of whom they over-payed (TLC and Justin Anderson) for - proved to be the extent of veteran bench reinforcement acquisitions. Why jettison Richaun Holmes and resign A. Johnson when Holmes would have given the franchise more bang for the buck?

In the end, the 76ers organization has liquidated (for lack of a better term) Nerlens Noel and TLC into Mike Muscala, cash (Juwon Evans drafted and sent to the Clips) and a '20 second rounder. Terrible asset management. Have to believe that Colangelo's mishandling of the then-excess big men (Noel and Okafor) dilemma has played a part in this current overall roster imbalance/relatively weak bench predicament.
    I completely agree. I was lamenting the Tyreke Evans non-signing every minute of the Nets game. I'm also not happy about Nemanja Bjelica putting up 13 PPG with a .489 rate from deep after he reportedly signed with Philly; only to reneg and ink a more lucrative deal with Sacramento. The Mike Muscala deal seemed to be a reaction to losing Bjelica. While I'm not worrying about the subtraction of Cabarrot in that trade, it seems to me that Justin Anderson was on his way to becoming a Marcus Smart irritant-type defensively. It's almost as if the Sixers just figured they wanted to replace the spots, but came up with sub-par solutions in the hope that Ilyasova and Belinelli would become available again late in the year and then run off another historic win streak. Poor strategy.

And yeah, the re-signing of Amir Johnson sticks in my craw. If the stat were kept, I honestly believe he's lead the league in matador-level "and-one's" in the paint this season. He does nothing well. While Holmes wasn't going to win any bully-ball contests in the low post and his jumper is reminiscent of a former Soviet-block women's shot put throw, at least he was an athlete who could finish and inexpensive.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-10-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Good luck with General Soreness (aka JimME buckets) Philly. The city is salty, Jimmy is salty. i think it's a match.
    Thanks for moving Covington and Saric to Minny. We can use their talents. So glad he is gone, but until DRose and Thibs are also extracted, success appears elusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Good luck with General Soreness (aka JimME buckets) Philly. The city is salty, Jimmy is salty. i think it's a match.
    Thanks for moving Covington and Saric to Minny. We can use their talents. So glad he is gone, but until DRose and Thibs are also extracted, success appears elusive.
    Butler's one of the most Philly players on the planet. He plays like a middleweight with a killer left hook.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

goreds2 (11-12-2018),Kingspoint (11-11-2018),Revering4Blue (11-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ok, after the start to the season, here are my thoughts on everything Sixers:

1) Joel Embiid could fall out of bed and record a 20-point/10-board double-double. But his passing is coming along much like the jump shot of...

2) Ben Simmons. Saw last night that his jump shot percentage is something like 8% this season. He's still a threat to post a triple-double every night and his defense, which was already good, has improved but needs to develop a shot. Teams are also starting to adjust to his handle-drives so that's affecting his turnover rate just as the Sixers not shooting well from deep is affecting his assist rate. One guy who is shooting really well is...

3) Landry Shamet. He's acquitting himself quite nicely in the rotation and given the state of the bench, absolutely deserves his minutes. Shamwow has a solid all-around game and his shot reminds me of a baby version of Klay. It may be time to insert him into the starting lineup to give that group more shooting and allow a straight-up rotation switch to bring in Reddick and sub out Simmons for...

4) Markelle Fultz. He's not there yet, but we're seeing flashes. The reason I'd like him to come off the bench is that he can be dynamic with the ball in his hands, but he hasn't taken a three point shot in four games. If he's not seen as even a threat to shoot from distance, that completely messes with the spacing when Simmons and Fultz are on the floor at the same time; allowing the defense to collapse on Embiid and clogging passing lanes. That increases turnovers and keeps the ball away from one of the only hot shooters on the team...

5) Robert Covington. Off to a hot start for a change (.414 from distance), Covington has also been a defensive menace. Last night he was absolutely everywhere. Covington is posting career highs in both steals and blocked shots. The Sixers definitely need him to stay hot because of...

6) Dario Saric. Coming off a long offseason of playing international ball, the rumor is that his legs are a bit tired. That makes sense because the most heard word when Saric shoots is "Short!". Homie had a good game last night, but has not been a presence on either side of the floor this season. But he hasn't been as bad as...

7) The bench. Garbage. Amir Johnson is terrible as usual. Wilson Chandler is healthy now, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. T.J. McConnell is getting no minutes at all, but he's just happy to be there. Furkan Korkmaz is apparently not happy playing McConnell's minutes (still 0). Mike Muscala is an end-of-bench guy. I'd be one thing to have a thin bench, but have real quality on it. However, that's not where the Sixers are and it infuriates me that the fall-back plan to "star-hunting" in the offseason was to put together this pile of dreck.
    Reboot.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I completely agree. I was lamenting the Tyreke Evans non-signing every minute of the Nets game. I'm also not happy about Nemanja Bjelica putting up 13 PPG with a .489 rate from deep after he reportedly signed with Philly; only to reneg and ink a more lucrative deal with Sacramento. The Mike Muscala deal seemed to be a reaction to losing Bjelica. While I'm not worrying about the subtraction of Cabarrot in that trade, it seems to me that Justin Anderson was on his way to becoming a Marcus Smart irritant-type defensively. It's almost as if the Sixers just figured they wanted to replace the spots, but came up with sub-par solutions in the hope that Ilyasova and Belinelli would become available again late in the year and then run off another historic win streak. Poor strategy.

And yeah, the re-signing of Amir Johnson sticks in my craw. If the stat were kept, I honestly believe he's lead the league in matador-level "and-one's" in the paint this season. He does nothing well. While Holmes wasn't going to win any bully-ball contests in the low post and his jumper is reminiscent of a former Soviet-block women's shot put throw, at least he was an athlete who could finish and inexpensive.
    Meyers Leonard became the first Center to play as many minutes as he did last season and fail to block a single shot. Ole!!!

To give Meyers credit, he's having his best season after showing signs that he had peaked. He actually has a +15.4 Net Rating!
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-12-2018)

Sario and Covington, especially Covington, who should immediately start, are exactly what Minnesota needed. Unfortunately for them, a slow November/December in the West ends your season, with the exception of Utah last season. Wiggins should come off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Sario and Covington, especially Covington, who should immediately start, are exactly what Minnesota needed. Unfortunately for them, a slow November/December in the West ends your season, with the exception of Utah last season. Wiggins should come off the bench.
    T Wolves might be one of maybe 2 teams in the West who will actually try and play defense, not sure if the grind it out, win ugly style Thibs wants to play will work...rumor has it he wants Wiggins and Covington on the floor at the same time.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    T Wolves might be one of maybe 2 teams in the West who will actually try and play defense, not sure if the grind it out, win ugly style Thibs wants to play will work...rumor has it he wants Wiggins and Covington on the floor at the same time.
    They are 29th now and lost Butler. There won't be Defense while Thibs is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    They are 29th now and lost Butler. There won't be Defense while Thibs is still there.
    Covington and Wiggins paired together will help but without a defensive stopper in the middle teams won't much care...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2018),Revering4Blue (11-11-2018)

Clint Capela had to be helped off of the court tonight. Banged knees with someone. Hopefully not serious. Rough start for the Rockets this season. Carmelo Anthony may soon be an ex-Rocket. One thing about Daryl Morey; he is not afraid to make moves. In this era of up-and-down-shoot-the-3 basketball, Houston has played 4 consecutive games in which neither team reached 100 points. Stay tuned.

UPDATE: Capela is back on the floor. Nice
    Last edited by texasdave; 11-11-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Shootout over in China. Jimmer Fredette scores 40 points in the 4th quarter, and ends the game with 75. All for naught. Pierre Jackson goes off for 60 himself, including the game-winning trifecta with 4 seconds to play.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-12-2018),Revering4Blue (11-12-2018)

Blake Griffin was ejected for a Flagrant-2 foul on Malik Monk. Kinda weak, IMO. I suppose that's why they don't give me a striped shirt and a whistle.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Looks like Melo isnt long for Houston!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Random Butler trade thoughts:

- The Process ended last year, and it's taken the Sixers until now to act like it. Once Embiid and Simmons got on the court together and it worked, it was go time. They've got roughly a five-year window to win a title. That's assuming Butler signs with them and Embiid plays (and stays healthy) to the end of his current contract.

- Philly needs a stretch four. Nikola Vucevich strikes me as a potential fit. A quality 3-and-D wing would be nice too. Or maybe a forward who's neither, like T.J. Warren or Markieff Morris.

- Don't see where Covington and Saric move Minnesota's needle. They're supporting actors. KAT and Wiggins have to play like stars. It is the only cure for what ails them.
    Last edited by M2; 11-12-2018 at 01:10 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Looks like Melo isnt long for Houston!!!
    Yeah, that's too bad for those of us who cheer for a different team in the West. That team is likely to go on a tear once they waive Melo.

22. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-14-2018)

Turn Off Ads?