Turn Off Ads?

Thread: When College Football went from black-&-white to color television, you probably...

When College Football went from black-&-white to color television, you probably...

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When College Football went from black-&-white to color television, you probably..

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    As an old Browns fan, I remember this trade:

“After a disappointing rookie season, in February 1970, Johnson was traded by the Browns to the New York Giants as part of a multi-player deal that sent Homer Jones to the Browns and Paul Warfield to the Miami Dolphins.”
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Re: When College Football went from black-&-white to color television, you probably..

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    As an old Browns fan, I remember this trade:

“After a disappointing rookie season, in February 1970, Johnson was traded by the Browns to the New York Giants as part of a multi-player deal that sent Homer Jones to the Browns and Paul Warfield to the Miami Dolphins.”
    I don't remember ever hearing of that trade. Blockbuster. That would be like Lynch in his Rookie season, Golden Tate at the beginning of his career and Michael Kendricks in his prime all being in the same trade. I had about 7 Homer Jones' '70 Giants' cards.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

So the Browns unloaded Johnson and Warfield to get Jones? Is that right?

His brother Alex Johnson played for Reds
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-11-2018)

I remember him. He had some good seasons with the Giants in the early 70's. I also remember the Cowboys signing him but he was one of their last cuts and I don't think Johnson every played after that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I remember him. He had some good seasons with the Giants in the early 70's. I also remember the Cowboys signing him but he was one of their last cuts and I don't think Johnson every played after that.
    Umm.....I remember him with the Angels? Maybe I am wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I don't remember ever hearing of that trade. Blockbuster. That would be like Lynch in his Rookie season, Golden Tate at the beginning of his career and Michael Kendricks in his prime all being in the same trade. I had about 7 Homer Jones' '70 Giants' cards.
    My bad. I just copied what was in Wikipedia.

There were 2 trades:
    1.) The Browns traded Warfield to the Dolphins for their #1 draft pick. It was the third pick of the draft and the Browns took Mike Phipps.
    2.) and then “In an effort to replace Warfield, Cleveland traded DT Jim Kanicki (who missed virtually the entire ’69 season with a broken leg), promising young RB Ron Johnson, and LB Wayne Meylan to the New York Giants to obtain WR Homer Jones”.

I think these trades were made on the same day or a day apart.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My bad. I just copied what was in Wikipedia.

There were 2 trades:
    1.) The Browns traded Warfield to the Dolphins for their #1 draft pick. It was the third pick of the draft and the Browns took Mike Phipps.
    2.) and then “In an effort to replace Warfield, Cleveland traded DT Jim Kanicki (who missed virtually the entire ’69 season with a broken leg), promising young RB Ron Johnson, and LB Wayne Meylan to the New York Giants to obtain WR Homer Jones”.

I think these trades were made on the same day or a day apart.
    My bad, too. I had remembered Homer Jones as a LB, though the card was probably of him with outstretched arms catching a pass. Now I have to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Umm.....I remember him with the Angels? Maybe I am wrong?
    I was talking about Ron not Alex. Alex did play with the Angels at the end IIRC.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I was talking about Ron not Alex. Alex did play with the Angels at the end IIRC.
    My apologies, I read your post wrong.

Turn Off Ads?