Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Recipes

Recipes

Inspired by my Food I have no idea why I like, I thought... hmm what jacked up crap have I come up with that tastes good to me.

So here it is.. We call it Mexican Soup. Even though pretty sure it isn't. It's more what do we have in the house that we can make today?

Ingredients
    1 box Rice-a-Roni
    1 can of Rotel
    1 Tbsp of minced garlic
    1 onion diced
    1 cup Hatch green chiles (mild or hot)
    1/4 cup chili powder (less if you are weak)
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 16 oz package of frozen corn
    1 lb boneless chicken breast (cubed)
    1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs (cubed)
    1 28oz can green enchilada sauce
    6-8 cups of water

Optional ingredients:
    2 cups shredded cheese (Colby, Cheddar. Your choice really)
    Sour Cream
    Guacamole
    Onion diced

Mix all ingredients except rice and corn in a large pot and bring it to a boil. After 5 minutes or so reduce heat to medium. Add water as needed. Cook for 1 hour. Add Rice-a-Roni and corn. Cook additional 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. A lot of water will be absorbed, so keep an eye on it. add more as needed.

Top with additional ingredients as desired.

When it is cold out, we make this, or variations of this. A very hearty soup that can be made without meat for those that lean that way. Not quite the right weather here yet for this, but it's getting close.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Recipes

Anybody like homemade yeast rolls? This is the recipe I learned from my grandmother before she passed. I’ll be making them Thursday.

2 eggs beaten
    2/3 of a pack of yeast, 2 sections of those packs that are in threes
    1 cup sugar
    A small pinch of salt
    1 stick of Crisco, I use butter flavor
    5 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup of lukewarm water
    Beat the eggs in a separate bowl
    Get 1 cup of water to a boil
    Put the Crisco, sugar, and the pinch of salt in the mixing bowl and pour the boiling water in. Beat the hell out of it for a bit, then add the eggs, then the water with the dissolved yeast. Beat that up pretty good, then mix in the flour. Beat everything until it’s nice and smooth and then put it in the fridge for an hour with a towel over the top of the bowl.

If you used rapid rise yeast, it should be risen pretty good in an hour. Roll the dough out in little balls, dip each ball in melted butter, and put them in muffin pans, three balls to a hole. You should get about 3 dozen. Heat the oven to 350 and let the muffin pans sit on the top of the stove, or on a counter, for another 30 minutes until they’ve risen again in the pan. Then bake them for 10-12 minutes, time depending on your oven, until they’re brown. Enjoy.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

4. Likes:

TRF (11-20-2018)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Have you posted that here before, ORH?

I swear it was some years ago -- specifically 2013 or '14, after I vacationed in LA, and my brother got us into the Magic Castle, where they had be best dinner rolls -- and I was trying to emulate them for either Thanksgiving or Easter, and I saw a recipe on RedsZone that seemed like it might be in the neighborhood.

And it was. Even the butter flavor crisco is what I'm using. On repeat attempts, I zeroed in a more specific amount of flour (when I bake, I'm stupid like that, and I weigh it in metric; no measuring by cups/volume for me), and since I use yeast out of a jar, I made an adjustment there, too. Now, I make them for pretty much every holiday.

To complete the "Magic Castle" portion: you gotta brush the tops with the salty/sweet sinfulness that is melted butter and honey whisked together!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I might have posted it before. They’re pretty darn good.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I went back into the archives (i.e. a retired external hard drive... I OCD back-up all my docs), and I'm about 99% sure it was your recipe I started with, ORH.

The butter flavor crisco is the main clue, but when I went all metric, I also essentially halved the recipe for a smaller batch size, as perfected over 3-4 tries. The fact that I seemed to be working down from your batch size makes me pretty confident that it was your recipe that started me on the path.

Definitely retroactive thanks for years of delicious dinner rolls, and strongest recommendation that RedsZone give these a try if they're in need of a bread for the holiday.

Slathering with the butter/honey combo is optional, but I can assure you: it is also delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Anybody like homemade yeast rolls? This is the recipe I learned from my grandmother before she passed. I’ll be making them Thursday.

2 eggs beaten
    2/3 of a pack of yeast, 2 sections of those packs that are in threes
    1 cup sugar
    A small pinch of salt
    1 stick of Crisco, I use butter flavor
    5 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup of lukewarm water
    Beat the eggs in a separate bowl
    Get 1 cup of water to a boil
    Put the Crisco, sugar, and the pinch of salt in the mixing bowl and pour the boiling water in. Beat the hell out of it for a bit, then add the eggs, then the water with the dissolved yeast. Beat that up pretty good, then mix in the flour. Beat everything until it’s nice and smooth and then put it in the fridge for an hour with a towel over the top of the bowl.

If you used rapid rise yeast, it should be risen pretty good in an hour. Roll the dough out in little balls, dip each ball in melted butter, and put them in muffin pans, three balls to a hole. You should get about 3 dozen. Heat the oven to 350 and let the muffin pans sit on the top of the stove, or on a counter, for another 30 minutes until they’ve risen again in the pan. Then bake them for 10-12 minutes, time depending on your oven, until they’re brown. Enjoy.
    Sounds like a fun thing to try for the holidays. I'm doing this next weekend.

Turn Off Ads?