Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2019 Season

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2019 Season

It does look like Tom Coughlin should be pasturized.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-29-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

that defense looks suspect....the Buc's offense is not the cure for a struggling defense.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    that defense looks suspect....the Buc's offense is not the cure for a struggling defense.
    I don't know about that. INTs are a fine medicine for struggling defenses

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't know about that. INTs are a fine medicine for struggling defenses
    I guess we will see what happens on Sunday...they are aggressive on offense and do not struggle to put points on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I guess we will see what happens on Sunday...they are aggressive on offense and do not struggle to put points on the board.
    The way to beat them is to grab INTs. They have thrown 20 of them as a team and that stat is off the chart. The second team on the INT list is Miami and they've "only" thrown 15.

The way to beat them is to grab INTs. They have thrown 20 of them as a team and that stat is off the chart. The second team on the INT list is Miami and they've "only" thrown 15.
    I am well aware of the interceptions....each and every one of them.....even a few that should have been. As I said, we will see what happens on Sunday.

Khan's patience and ability to stay out of the way should be followed by all Owners. He has let his G.M.'s run the show, while cautioning his G.M.'s to have patience with his Coaches.

Kahn's system is an excellent one. It has produced some excellent drafts, some upward swings almost a recent Super Bowl appearance), while he's open to using all means available to put talent together through trades and free agency of all levels of talent. He doesn't get stupid with trades, but isn't trying to rip anyone off. His franchise is always open to reasonable ideas. He's always trying to better the franchise short-term and long-term in the win-loss column. He's secured the services of highly sought for coaching talent, while Nick Foles was supposedly unavailable in trades.

That things don't always work out isn't his fault. Failure of goid hires of G.M.'s and Coaches are the reasons. His hires and patience was good.

The positive is that there's no David Shula or Marvin Lewis or Msnziel in his future. No moron hires.

Coughlin probably gets one more full season as he hasn't been here long enough to put his entire stamp on the organization. It takes a year to change from the old, a year to change to the new and three years to implement the new (for Bengals' fans, we are still in the year of undoing Marvin Lewis and a good Owner and good fans would know this and they need to be patient and watch the entire season next year to see what they were hoping to see this year...it's still more Marvin's team than Taylor's team, though for coaches, it's not a five-year window, but a three-year, except in the Bengals' case because they don't have a G.M., it is four years for a Coach here).

The beginning has been pretty disasterous for Coughlin. There's four more weeks of play and exit interviews to make and recommendations from Coughlin before Kahn makes a decision to change course in mid-stream. It's not his style, or a good style for any large company leader, so I think Coughlin is here at least 14 more months.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I certainly hope Khan is wiser then to keep Coughlin around. It is a failed experiment. There is Coughlin the GM and Coughlin the coach. Coughlin the coach (with no GM duties) actually won 2 superbowls. In 2 stints with GM duties he has run the cap into the ground, and made bad draft decisions.

I think 99% of people think there will be be a head coaching change. Marrone made it clear this week he got pressure "within the building" about how he coaches. Where do you think that came from? A coaching candidate with options will think twice about walking into that situation.

I think about 75% of people think there will be GM change. Final decision making for personnel lies with Coughlin. No GM candidate with options will want to be a part of that.

Getting rid of Coughlin is the single most important piece in turning this around. With him gone the GM and Head Coaching gigs look very enticing.

We have a game against Tampa in 30 minutes. Torn as to whether I want them to win. I assume like always I'll be rooting for them, but checking our draft position if we lose. Nick Foles needs to have a good game.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Head Coach needs to go. If an Assistant is a candidate, he needs to be given a trial beginning Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I certainly hope Khan is wiser then to keep Coughlin around. It is a failed experiment. There is Coughlin the GM and Coughlin the coach. Coughlin the coach (with no GM duties) actually won 2 superbowls. In 2 stints with GM duties he has run the cap into the ground, and made bad draft decisions.

I think 99% of people think there will be be a head coaching change. Marrone made it clear this week he got pressure "within the building" about how he coaches. Where do you think that came from? A coaching candidate with options will think twice about walking into that situation.

I think about 75% of people think there will be GM change. Final decision making for personnel lies with Coughlin. No GM candidate with options will want to be a part of that.

Getting rid of Coughlin is the single most important piece in turning this around. With him gone the GM and Head Coaching gigs look very enticing.

We have a game against Tampa in 30 minutes. Torn as to whether I want them to win. I assume like always I'll be rooting for them, but checking our draft position if we lose. Nick Foles needs to have a good game.
    What a difference 2 yrs means. At that time you were of the opinion that Coughlin deserved some credit for taking the Jags to the Super Bowl:

Question #1 - Tom Coughlin - The question is raised about how much credit Coughlin deserves for the turnaround. No one REALLY knows how much difference he makes. Or what he does. He is over both the GM and Head Coach.

We had a nice draft in 2017. Rd -1 Fournette, Rd -2 Cam Robinson, Rd -4 DeDe Westbrook. But, other then Caldwell's first draft, the Jags drafts are full of good players.

2016 - Ramsey, Myles Jack, Ngakoue
    2015 - Fowler, AJ Cann
    2014 - Bortles, Marquise Lee, Allen Robinson, Brandon Linder, Telvin Smith, Aaron Colvin

There were never any indications that Coughlin over-rode a Caldwell choice. But Jags are usually very close to the vest so I'm not sure you'd ever hear.

Free Agency - Jags had a very successful Free Agency. Picking up Calais Campbell, Bouye, and Church. The first 2 are at pro bowl level. We did sign Malik Jackson the previous year. And Tashaun Gibson. This is one area that Coughlin's reputation might have made a difference. When you are a bad team, you have to throw money at players to get them to come to town. Having Coughlin onboard might have made a difference.

Coaching - Marrone is almost a Coughlin clone. A disciplinarian. Took over a 2-12 team and over the last 2 games they were 1-1. The team looked completely different in just one week. My inclination is to say it's Marrone, not Coughlin.

I think Coughlin is a sounding board for both of them. But my guess is he's 20% responsible.
    As a Bengal fan, I'd drool at the thought of having him in this organization. I think he's an asset but of course I didn't think Blake Bortles was the QB of the future for the Jags two yrs ago either...

At 25-0 and it's not even 3pm, I hope you settled on wanting them to lose

In that post I pretty much said the success was Not Coughlin.

At 25-0 and it's not even 3pm, I hope you settled on wanting them to lose
    how did all those Jax Defense interceptions work out? Bucs offense went cold in 2nd half, but when it is clicking, it is as dangerous as any in the NFL.

- - - Updated - - -

Minshew needs to be given a chance to be the QB of the future....I know they are paying Foles, but he is not the answer. Minshew may be the answer.

Well.....that was ugly. The first half was one of the worst halves I've ever seen. Down 25-0. Jags decide to shake things up and bring in Minshew who definitely adds a spark. We "won" the second half 11-3. The actual worst problem for me the whole time was the total breakdown of the offensive line led by both tackles who were both very early round 2 picks. They got manhandled.

That made both QBs look bad, but especially Foles who has no ability to scramble to buy time.

Thinking about the draft has me feeling like the Little Dutch Boy plugging holes. Right now I'd be inclined to go O-Line with both first rounders.

Reporters were let into locker room following a 10 minute cooling off period. But things weren't cool. As soon as they entered Yannick Ngakoue and Brandin Lindner started a face to face yelling match and had to be separated by other players.

Then there shouting heard from the showers...

Losing ain't pretty
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-01-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Turn Off Ads?