Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2019 Season

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2019 Season

Alex Smith is likely going to miss the entire 2019 season. I'd love to see a deal where we send Bortles to Washington in exchange for a late pick.

Right now we need Idzik to work some serious magic in order for the team to make improvements. Spotrac currently has the team at a -10 million in cap space.

The best moves to fix this situation would probably look like:

Release Marcell Dareus - 8.335 salary 2019. $0 dead cap if released
    Release Tashaun Gipson - 7.250 salary 2019. $800k dead cap post 6/1/19 release. 1.6 million if released pre 6/1.
    Restructure Calais Campbells remaining deal. (12 mil '19, 15 mil '20)
    Move Blake Bortles without taking on much return salary
    Release Seferian-Jenkins. 4 mil '19 salary. 1.855 dead cap.
    Release Malik Jackson. 13 mil salary 2019. 4 mil dead cap. Could possibly trade him instead but a release seems more likely.

Now its obviously doubtful that all of this would occur. I think in order of most likely you'd see - Campbell restructured, Dareus released, Gipson released, Seferian-Jenkins released, Bortles traded, Jackson released. If all of these moves were done the Jags would have some serious holes to fill but it could be a $40ish million swing in cap space. All I know is Idzik has some work to do.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was fairly unimpressed with all the QB's in the Senior Bowl. NC State guy looked the best to me.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Trading Bortles for Alex Smith is not an upgrade.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Agreed. I think his point is that Smith can't play at all next yr so the comparison is more like Bortles>Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Smith isn't playing next year and Bortles wouldn't be there in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I was fairly unimpressed with all the QB's in the Senior Bowl. NC State guy looked the best to me.
    I've seen a good bit of Finley this year in Raleigh. He's got the tools but just like another '19 QB Drew Lock, it's the brain/decisions that are the biggest ? marks.

A lot of talk from our local reporter Hays Carlyon that's now been picked up from Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk, that it almost seems inevitable that Foles comes to Jax, and that Foles won't have any suitors.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...or-nick-foles/

1. Jags would be crazy to trade for Foles. Foles is a FA and can only be dealt if franchised. At a price tag of 25 million for one season.
    2. Eagles would be crazy to franchise him without a deal. Foles would accept in like 30 seconds. 25 million for their backup Qb?
    3. So Eagles just need to let him walk and pick up a 3rd rounder in 2010 as a Comp pick.

But with Denver trading for Flacco there's almost no market. Washington can't afford anything other than a journeyman
    Miami, has cap issues and looks to start rebuilding with a drafted QB
    Giants are not likely to dump Eli to get Foles.

Hopefully the Jags are smart and wait this out and get him cheap.

ESPN with an article about what AFC South teams should do. It's along the lines of what I am looking for but a bit different. The main points being release Bortles post 6/1, release Jackson, Hyde, and ASJ, sign a vet QB who fits the system like Tyrod Taylor, extend Ramsey and sign Ngakoue, and don't make any significant moves at RB.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ee-agency-cuts

The #7 pick is going to be interesting. So much left to determine with the combine and what not. I'm still hoping for Kyler Murray. Height is a dated concern in todays offenses, he's supposedly at 205 lbs, and is the most electric player in this class. Other names I've seen are Jawaan Taylor and Ed Oliver, both picks id be very pleased with. I don't foresee us getting Haskins unless we pay up to move up, and I want nothing to do with Lock or Jones. QBs with decision/accuracy issues rarely work out well. Same goes for Finley. I think those guys are way overvalued right now because the QB class is so down this year.

The one thing I don't want to see the Jags do is mortgage their future by either cap space or draft picks. I've been a a little concerned with cap space ever since Coughlin arrived. Cap problems crippled the Jags at the end of his coaching/GM tenure, and after 2 years of him being here making final decisions, we are having issues again.

I would LOVE to have Haskins. But I'm not willing to pay the price to jump to #1 to guarantee it. If we were at pick 5 and he was on the board and all we had to do was jump the Giants, I might be comfortable with that price. Murray is super intriguing and if he was sitting there at 7, it would be cool to see Jags take him. But I wouldn't trade anything to go get him.

But I am assuming the Jags will have to make some QB move before the draft. Most people seem to think it will be Foles. So along those lines, a very good things has happened so far. Eagles have not franchised him. It would be financial suicide for Eagles to franchise him and him accepting (which he should do immediately). All they could do is franchise and trade, which technically is against the rules. I don't want to trade for a franchised Foles.

Let him become a Free Agent, and then see if we can get him at a reasonable price. We might be the only strong suitor. And if we're smart, we might get him at a reasonable cost if we don't bid against ourselves.

So here's hoping March 5th comes and goes and Foles is not franchised.

The other option (which I assume they won't take) is see if we get a QB in the draft, and then get a free agent accordingly. Someone like Taylor (God forbid), or Fitzpatrick or Bridgwater or Keenum. and then have Bortles as they backup.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

.... Eagles have not franchised him. It would be financial suicide for Eagles to franchise him and him accepting (which he should do immediately). All they could do is franchise and trade, which technically is against the rules. I don't want to trade for a franchised Foles.

Let him become a Free Agent, and then see if we can get him at a reasonable price. We might be the only strong suitor. And if we're smart, we might get him at a reasonable cost if we don't bid against ourselves.

So here's hoping March 5th comes and goes and Foles is not franchised.
    Eagles announced they would not franchise him. Which means no one was willing to trade for a franchised Foles (including Jags).

Couple of updates

Marcell Dareus contract was restructured to create cap space

Jalen Ramsey 5th year option for 2020 will be exercised
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 02-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Ran my favorite mock draft so far this morning with Fanspeak Mock Draft Simulator

1 - Ed Oliver DT Houston
    2 - Mack Wilson LB Alabama
    3 - Will Grier QB West Virginia
    3 - Erik McCoy OL Texas A&M
    4 - Dennis Daley OL NC State
    6 - Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson
    7 - Bryce Love RB Stanford

If we signed Foles, have Grier learn behind him and get physically ready for the NFL, gives us a stud DL in Oliver (alongside Taven) to replace the veterans like Dareus, Calais, Malik once they go, Mack gives us the best LB group in the NFL, McCoy and Daley provide much needed OL depth, Renfrow is the future slot with instant ability to be a special team star, and Love is a lottery ticket RB who could allow us to move on from LF if health continues to be an issue.

Really wish we hadn't given up that 5th for Carlos Hyde. I would've loved to add a CB to this mix to learn behind Ramsey and potentially replace Bouye down the road.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 03-01-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Looks like we’re trying to trade Carlos Hyde and Malik Jackson. Makes me think there’s a good chance we’ll release them if we can’t find a deal and then target a DL in the 1st rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard some talk of a DL in round one but I'll really be surprised if it is not an offensive player. BTW, Philly reporter claims their is no market for Foles except for Jags.

https://www.philly.com/eagles/nick-f...mpression=true

If that is the case I hope Jags don't bid against themselves.

Turn Off Ads?