Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The curious case of Devin Mesoraco

Haunted by walks

Re: The curious case of Devin Mesoraco

Teams kept calling for Mes when they should have asked for Rocco.

I hope he’s back in Punxsutawney carving more bats from the trees on his land for his redemption story.

2. Likes:

757690 (01-04-2019),americanoutlaw1 (01-04-2019),dfs (01-04-2019),Old school 1983 (01-04-2019),The Operator (01-07-2019),WrongVerb (01-04-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Teams kept calling for Mes when they should have asked for Rocco.

I hope he’s back in Punxsutawney carving more bats from the trees on his land for his redemption story.
    ...with Eye of the Tiger playing in the background
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    If the Reds traded Barnhart and didn't spend on catcher, I'd be interested in bringing him back.
    He's like Bailey and Disco. Trying to base what he might do based on anything he's done in the past is nuts. He's probably going to have to settle for a minor league deal. He's a guy who needs to prove he belongs at this point, like any other minor leaguer.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I can see someone giving Mesoraco either a modest one year deal as a backup catcher/role player or a minor league deal with incentives, I don't think he's falling out of the league yet.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-07-2019)

With all due respect to Mesoraco, he never really went much beyond the prospect stage. He had one pretty good offensive year (2014) at the MLB level; and offense was always really his only ticket to being a MLB catcher, wasn't it? Now, I understand that injuries stole his chance, but at this point I don't understand why anyone would consider him a legitimate backup for a major league club.

10. Likes:

Crumbley (01-05-2019),malcontent (01-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by rgslone View Post
    With all due respect to Mesoraco, he never really went much beyond the prospect stage. He had one pretty good offensive year (2014) at the MLB level; and offense was always really his only ticket to being a MLB catcher, wasn't it? Now, I understand that injuries stole his chance, but at this point I don't understand why anyone would consider him a legitimate backup for a major league club.
    I’m w you. I’ve never seen a player so awful be so adorned as mes

We act like he was some phenom. IN reality he had a plus bat for 4 months in his career

And He was below avg on defense!

Cards fans don’t lament the tragic loss of Oscar Tavares nearly as much as Reds fans do the collapse of mes
    Last edited by Marsh15; 01-04-2019 at 09:13 PM.

With his knees and hips I wouldn't give him a guaranteed contract if I were a GM, he can't be counted on. A minor league deal, fine. As an XX-B free agent he's due a bonus or opt out if he doesn't make the club out of ST.

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-07-2019)

He's in the same tree stand as Homer at this point. Do they really want to go back to riding buses when they have 8 figure bank accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh15 View Post
    I’m w you. I’ve never seen a player so awful be so adorned as mes

We act like he was some phenom. IN reality he had a plus bat for 4 months in his career

And He was below avg on defense!

Cards fans don’t lament the tragic loss of Oscar Tavares nearly as much as Reds fans do the collapse of mes
    dude...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The difference between Mesoraco and Barnhart last year offensively was 1 HR (advantage Rocco) 27 points of BA and 25 points of OBP (Tucker). Oh and about 250 PA's. (Tucker)

It isn't crazy to think that Mesoraco, on an AL team could provide 25+ HR's splitting time between C and occasional DH. It isn't that I am waxing poetic, it's that the potential is surely there for that.

Has to be in the AL though. Easier to get his bat in there to rest his legs. But, he is now a year+ removed from his hip impingement surgeries. I think he'll get signed by someone.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    dude...
    Yes?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The difference between Mesoraco and Barnhart last year offensively was 1 HR (advantage Rocco) 27 points of BA and 25 points of OBP (Tucker). Oh and about 250 PA's. (Tucker)

It isn't crazy to think that Mesoraco, on an AL team could provide 25+ HR's splitting time between C and occasional DH. It isn't that I am waxing poetic, it's that the potential is surely there for that.

Has to be in the AL though. Easier to get his bat in there to rest his legs. But, he is now a year+ removed from his hip impingement surgeries. I think he'll get signed by someone.
    If he could hit 25 HR he’d basically be a top 5 catcher in baseball. I could see like maybe 15 but I don’t think he’s that good anymore.

He’s hit 17 homers over the last 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh15 View Post
    He’s hit 17 homers over the last 4 years
    The guy was an All-Star with 25 homers in around 400 AB the past year he was a full time (healthy) player.

Even last year he hit 11 homers in just under 250 AB between Cincy and New York.

Any projection for him is obviously based on some level of staying healthy. It seems Devin has fallen victim to the same old Cincinnati phenomenon: Sign a multi-year contact and become public enemy #1, easy prey for hot takes all day long. Never mind that a player can't control whether they get injured or not, if they make good money they must be hated.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

21. Likes:

CaiGuy (01-08-2019),Wonderful Monds (01-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    The guy was an All-Star with 25 homers in around 400 AB the past year he was a full time (healthy) player.

Even last year he hit 11 homers in just under 250 AB between Cincy and New York.

Any projection for him is obviously based on some level of staying healthy. It seems Devin has fallen victim to the same old Cincinnati phenomenon: Sign a multi-year contact and become public enemy #1, easy prey for hot takes all day long. Never mind that a player can't control whether they get injured or not, if they make good money they must be hated.
    Lol. Be more dramatic and protective

Who hates mesoraco? Not me. But He’s been awful for years and his career numbers are below avg.

But yes. It’s totally practical for a player, who is going to be a spring training invite, to revert back to his form of 5 years ago magically.

Chris Carter hit 37 homers in 2014. He could be good for 40 this year, by your logic
    Last edited by Marsh15; 01-07-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Turn Off Ads?