Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Minor League Transactions

Re: 2019 Minor League Transactions

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Varner and Sweet are mildly surprising just because they seemed like org depth who had a role. I kind of figured Turner was a goner after looking at list of Bats catchers.
    Varner especially. The reds seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for left handed relief pitching. I guess with the new 3 batter rule coming up, guys like him will have a tougher road to the big leagues. Still, I thought he seemed a potential option. The guys in the big league bullpen sure aren't guys who should be locks to stick all year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Or maybe their internal scouting told them that a 27 year old Varner -- who had never cracked AAA -- didn't have a future in the major leagues and decided to create an opportunity for someone younger.

It's hard to do, and I do it myself, but we shouldn't fall in love with these marginal prospects and then be shocked when they're released or not given a major league opportunity.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Part of the equation should also be ensuring our minor league franchises do well. We've done a pretty crappy job of that for 10 years or so. It's one thing it you replace a Varner with an actual prospect, quite another when you replace him with someone who don't really get the job done in High A, and will get clobbered in AA.

Hopefully the Lookouts will be stocked with prospects, and have a great year.

- - - Updated - - -

Mason Willams signed a minor league deal with Baltimore. He might get promoted there....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Reds released Anthony Bass, he pitched well in 11 spring games.
    Andersen Pickard
    @andersenreports
    20h20 hours ago

Three days after releasing him, the Cincinnati #Reds are re-signing RH reliever Anthony Bass to a minor league deal. Bass appeared in the majors every year from 2011-2015 and 2017-2018. He will start the 2018 season in Triple-A Louisville.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-30-2019),Gallen5862 (03-30-2019),lollipopcurve (03-29-2019),mace (03-29-2019)

Guess he tested market and didn't find better offer. Good to have him back. AAA should have some good pitchers.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Or maybe their internal scouting told them that a 27 year old Varner -- who had never cracked AAA -- didn't have a future in the major leagues and decided to create an opportunity for someone younger.

It's hard to do, and I do it myself, but we shouldn't fall in love with these marginal prospects and then be shocked when they're released or not given a major league opportunity.
    Not really shocked, but the Reds have zero reliable lefty options IMO. IN a couple of days they've cut ties with Finnegan and Varner. Probably no big losses there, but I don't see any internal options to be excited about (spare me Cody Reed, the Reds already broke him). Time to go get somebody.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (03-30-2019)

Love that they re-signed Bass.

I think he could help the parent club.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not really shocked, but the Reds have zero reliable lefty options IMO. IN a couple of days they've cut ties with Finnegan and Varner. Probably no big losses there, but I don't see any internal options to be excited about (spare me Cody Reed, the Reds already broke him). Time to go get somebody.
    krol isn't bad as a lefty to stash in AAA. he could be needed this year for the big club. you could include boshers in the same category (although i personally like krol better).

Reds released Buddy Boshers

Reds signed minor league free agent Julio Pinto, the 23 year old right handed pitcher was originally signed out of Venezuela by the Royals in 2012 (they released him last week).

Reds signed minor league free agent Julio Pinto, the 23 year old right handed pitcher was originally signed out of Venezuela by the Royals in 2012 (they released him last week).
    Fangraphs was very high on him back in 2014. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/prospect...-teenage-arms/

Lots of K's.

LOTS of BB's.

He must throw very hard. I hope someone suggests he dial it back a little. that BB/9 is frightening, but he's only 23.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Looks like Ariel Hernandez. Reds should opt for guys with control and command once in a while. I love a 100 MPH fastball as much as the next guy, but it doesn't seem to work much.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Looks like Ariel Hernandez. Reds should opt for guys with control and command once in a while. I love a 100 MPH fastball as much as the next guy, but it doesn't seem to work much.
    Ariel Hernandez walks everyone. This guy doesn't, and is therefore vastly different.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Finnegan was not claimed on waivers and has been outrighted to the minors.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-05-2019),Gallen5862 (04-02-2019),mace (04-02-2019),Revering4Blue (04-02-2019),Sea Ray (04-02-2019),TRF (04-02-2019)

Turn Off Ads?