Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

So, what?...11 wins, 12 wins for the Browns?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'd say 10 tops. Hopefully enough to get into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    My guess was 10.

The Browns are an entertaining team but looking at their schedule, I’m thinking 8-8, maybe 9-7.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

IMO, the next five games will be the most telling.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    IMO, the next five games will be the most telling.
    No. Every game is a new experience for this franchise. Every one of them has its own obstacles and proving ground to overcome.

- - - Updated - - -

There aren't very many teams worth watching in the NFL right now. The Browns are definitely one of them, though.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-23-2019 at 02:48 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Those CLE uniforms are irritating.

9. Likes:

GAC (09-23-2019),Sea Ray (09-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    They remind me of the shanties I used to see still under the bridges in the early 60's that were originally built at the turn of the century and the modern bridges and turnpikes and offramps were built around them.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    No they're not. They're ugly! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

North (09-23-2019)

I like Freddie Kitchens. But he's learning just as this young team is. But put this one on Kitchens IMO. If there is anything I hope this young coach is learning, through these first three games, is how key Chubbs is to this offense. But also how, and when, to utilize him (LOL) .....

Not on the opponent's 40 yd line, and it's 4th and 9. Not a bad call (as Kitchen admits), but a stupid call. Then is when you do attempt a pass. Gave the Rams good field possession, and they got 3 pts off it.

But IMO, this was the biggest bone-head blunder last night for Kitchens ....

Mayfield drove the team down to the Ram's 4 yard line, first and goal, 43 seconds left. You have 4 downs and 3 TO's left. Where's Chubbs? Not once did they attempt a run. And the game ends on a desperation pass (INT) by Mayfield.

Chubbs ... 96 yds/23 ATTs = 4.1 yds/carry.

It's late in the game, defenses are tired. You gotta workhorse, a rising star (IMO) at RB, and you don't give him the ball once down there? Inexcusable IMO. They should have pounded it with Chubbs. Hope you learned something here Freddy.

Overall? I think both of these defenses made it difficult on the opposition (QB). But the Browns were playing without several starters on D, and limited the NFC Champions, who put points on the board, to just 20 pts. They kept their team in the game for sure. Garrett had another great game. Unfortunately, our offense could not capitalize either on those opportunities.

But that game-ending series still sticks in my craw.

Mayfield did alright IMO. There were times when the Browns needed yardage, needed a play, and he stepped up. That impressed me, showed me something.

Mayfield's a leader, and a competitor. I understand that. But it can't be all about him, everything on his shoulders. Especially when it comes to making the right call in various game-time decisions.

The Browns are probably the second best team in the AFC North (for what it's worth). We'll find out next week as the Browns travel to Baltimore. They split with the Ravens last year, very close games, low margin of victory.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-23-2019 at 04:31 AM.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-23-2019),phatknuckle (09-23-2019)

Mayfield drove the team down to the Ram's 4 yard line, first and goal, 43 seconds left. You have 4 downs and 3 TO's left. Where's Chubbs? Not once did they attempt a run. And the game ends on a desperation pass (INT) by Mayfield.

It's late in the game, defenses are tired. You gotta workhorse, a rising star (IMO) at RB, and you don't give him the ball once down there? Inexcusable IMO. They should have pounded it with Chubbs. Hope you learned something here Freddy.
    That was right out of the Marvin Lewis playbook.

I looked at the Browns schedule and I can’t believe it. On paper, you play only 2 good teams, the Rams and Patriots. The browns have a chance in every other game. They could win 13 games if they play “well”. Not great, just “well”.
    Of all the NFC teams, you avoid the cowboys, bears, eagles, packers, saints and vikings and you play a lot of mediocre NFC teams You don’t have to play the chargers or chiefs and they are in your conference. Browns fans have been given a tremendous gift by the league.

I like Freddie Kitchens. But he's learning just as this young team is. But put this one on Kitchens IMO. If there is anything I hope this young coach is learning, through these first three games, is how key Chubbs is to this offense. But also how, and when, to utilize him (LOL) .....

Not on the opponent's 40 yd line, and it's 4th and 9. Not a bad call (as Kitchen admits), but a stupid call. Then is when you do attempt a pass. Gave the Rams good field possession, and they got 3 pts off it.

Overall? I think both of these defenses made it difficult on the opposition (QB). But the Browns were playing without several starters on D, and limited the NFC Champions, who put points on the board, to just 20 pts. They kept their team in the game for sure. Garrett had another great game. Unfortunately, our offense could not capitalize either on those opportunities.

But that game-ending series still sticks in my craw.

Mayfield did alright IMO. There were times when the Browns needed yardage, needed a play, and he stepped up. That impressed me, showed me something.

Mayfield's a leader, and a competitor. I understand that. But it can't be all about him, everything on his shoulders. Especially when it comes to making the right call in various game-time decisions.

The Browns are probably the second best team in the AFC North (for what it's worth). We'll find out next week as the Browns travel to Baltimore. They split with the Ravens last year, very close games, low margin of victory.
    That was very disappointing. I agree that not using Chubbs in the last series was a huge mistake. Kitchens certainly needs to do better with the play calling and Baker needs to make quicker decisions. The offensive linemen are just not good enough to sustain their block without grabbing on for dear life. There is just no time to run through many progressions. The utter mess that is this offensive line is the biggest problem, but its up to Freddy and Baker to compensate it. I have to put some blame on Dorsey for not investing in the offensive line.

The defense remains impressive however. Despite having a patchwork secondary, they held together pretty good against a high powered offense. So there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I looked at the Browns schedule and I can’t believe it. On paper, you play only 2 good teams, the Rams and Patriots. The browns have a chance in every other game. They could win 13 games if they play “well”. Not great, just “well”.
    Of all the NFC teams, you avoid the cowboys, bears, eagles, packers, saints and vikings and you play a lot of mediocre NFC teams You don’t have to play the chargers or chiefs and they are in your conference. Browns fans have been given a tremendous gift by the league.
    On paper, their schedule is weak (only play two good teams), and a tremendous gift from the league? I don't see that. At least not at this stage of the season, because we don't really know who are legit and who may be pretenders. Besides the Rams, over the next month they face .... 49ers (3-0), Ravens (2-1), Seahawks (2-1), Patriots (3-0). They then face the Steelers (never discount this game), and then the Bills (3-0).

The Browns have a pretty tough schedule for the first half of the season IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-27-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phatknuckle View Post
    That was very disappointing. I agree that not using Chubbs in the last series was a huge mistake. Kitchens certainly needs to do better with the play calling and Baker needs to make quicker decisions. The offensive linemen are just not good enough to sustain their block without grabbing on for dear life. There is just no time to run through many progressions. The utter mess that is this offensive line is the biggest problem, but its up to Freddy and Baker to compensate it. I have to put some blame on Dorsey for not investing in the offensive line.
    The offensive line's play needs to be better. But I don't think it's performance overall has been terrible. Chubbs is averaging 4 yds/carry. But this O-line has been in flux ever since they lost Thomas IMO (LOL). Then they traded away Pro Bowl RG Kevin Zeitler. But they stil have some talent on this O-line, and they did add depth in the off-season ... https://nflmocks.com/2019/05/21/clev...ffensive-line/

The problem has been that even that depth has taken a hit because too many of those guys are suffering injuries in the early goings. And while we have "depth" in the sense we got guys who have experience at Guard or Tackle, they're having to play (fill) one of those positions and it's not where they're best comfortable. Building an offensive line is a tricky, and difficult thing IMO. Playing together consistently, knowing what your job is, is what builds a cohesive unit. Right now? - this week you're at RT, next week we need you to fill in at LG, or maybe Center.

And finally .... I think most O-lines would have a tough task protecting a QB like Mayfield, who likes to scramble out of the pocket and go all over the place. Hard to keep track of the guy. I'm sure in the huddle his line is asking him - "Which side you going to? Right or Left?" LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 09-27-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Turn Off Ads?