Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

Looks like Justin Fields has made his decision: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...r-quarterback/

Also saw this news that wasn't mentioned here at all but made me very happy: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...-harrison-nfl/

Thoughts? And BTW, should we start a new OSU thread now that their season is over?
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 01-04-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Likes:

BillDoran (01-04-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State Football - 2018 Season

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Looks like Justin Fields has made his decision: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...r-quarterback/

Also saw this news that wasn't mentioned here at all but made me very happy: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...-harrison-nfl/

Thoughts? And BTW, should we start a new OSU thread now that their season is over?
    Ecstatic. Dude is one of the best QB recruits in decades. If Fields were in this years recruiting class he would be the number 1 recruit in the country.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ecstatic. Dude is one of the best QB recruits in decades. If Fields were in this years recruiting class he would be the number 1 recruit in the country.
    Eighth highest ranked recruit since 2000, according to 247. The film on him is crazy.

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post

In two weeks Day would have gotten Zach Harrison and Fields? Thats one heck of a start to his tenure. I think there will need to be some locker room massaging but you can't pass up a guy as talented as Fields. (11W is reporting this as well.)

I saw a comment that Fuller coming back is like getting a 5* recruit. The guy is the rock at the back end of the defense. I think its a smart move for him, I think he has 1st round talent but would be a mid round pick this year.

8. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (01-04-2019),RedTeamGo! (01-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In two weeks Day would have gotten Zach Harrison and Fields? Thats one heck of a start to his tenure. I think there will need to be some locker room massaging but you can't pass up a guy as talented as Fields. (11W is reporting this as well.)

I saw a comment that Fuller coming back is like getting a 5* recruit. The guy is the rock at the back end of the defense. I think its a smart move for him, I think he has 1st round talent but would be a mid round pick this year.
    Same with Malik Harrison. I don’t know if he will be a 1st round pick, but he may go from being a 5th or 6th round pick to 2nd.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Same with Malik Harrison. I don’t know if he will be a 1st round pick, but he may go from being a 5th or 6th round pick to 2nd.
    I think Harrison played better as the season went along. But I am in full agreement, he would have been a late round pick, with a better defense he will be a much higher pick.

Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

Will Martell leave?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Will Martell leave?
    Hope not. Fields isn’t a lock to be cleared and they are both runners, and runners get hurt.

Jordan is going pro, so there will be four new starters on the line next year.

Alex Grinch is going to OU. Didn’t want to keep being Schianos sous chef, which is understandable. I’m of course assuming Schiano is back.

More info about Alex Grinch leaving (and if you're not following Letterman Row for Buckeye news, you're really missing out IMO...their coverage is wonderful): https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...f-alex-grinch/

Hey, looks like I started the new thread....while not even being on the board at the time. I should only use this power for good, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Michael Jordan leaving (story link): https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...res-nfl-draft/

Can you tell I'm bored at work today, LOL

Michael Jordan has a chance to be a quality guard in the NFL for a long time. Rumors were he was moving back to G next season, which woudl help his draft status. Would it have helped that much? I guess not. His departure will hurt the depth, but I expect the line to be better next year.

Grinch was a guy who I think was the best coach they could get at the time. I wonder if they really wanted to keep him, what stopped them?

Hopefully Al Washington is heading to OSU as well as Marcus Freeman!

17. Likes:

BillDoran (01-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Michael Jordan has a chance to be a quality guard in the NFL for a long time. Rumors were he was moving back to G next season, which woudl help his draft status. Would it have helped that much? I guess not. His departure will hurt the depth, but I expect the line to be better next year.

Grinch was a guy who I think was the best coach they could get at the time. I wonder if they really wanted to keep him, what stopped them?

Hopefully Al Washington is heading to OSU as well as Marcus Freeman!
    Love to see Freeman brought in as co-DC. Let him call plays. Bring in Washington to replace Billy Davis. Keep Schiano as co-DC and give him more DB responsibilities again. Tell Taver Johnson he's got one year to prove himself (either as a recruiter or in player development).

I do think it should be noted that Ohio State's defense has declined as the offense has really ratcheted things up. Without digging too far into the numbers, the offense has increasingly focused on the pass and ramped up tempo. This comes at a defensive cost. Kind of like the defensive counterparts to the Air Raid offenses -- no matter the coordinator or personnel -- always stink. It's the inverse of Tressel Ball. It's also partially why Meyer loved the QB run.

It's fun to have a high flying offense, but it hamstrings your defense. I wonder with the full embrace of Day's offensive concepts (and the addition of Yurcich) whether we'll see continued struggles on the defensive side of the ball no matter who's in charge. The easy analog for Day is Lincoln Riley, and I don't think it's a stretch to see what the all-in offensive approach can do to a defense. Prior to Riley, they had a proud defensive tradition. With Riley, they might as well have been Washington State or Texas Tech.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Love to see Freeman brought in as co-DC. Let him call plays. Bring in Washington to replace Billy Davis. Keep Schiano as co-DC and give him more DB responsibilities again. Tell Taver Johnson he's got one year to prove himself (either as a recruiter or in player development).

I do think it should be noted that Ohio State's defense has declined as the offense has really ratcheted things up. Without digging too far into the numbers, the offense has increasingly focused on the pass and ramped up tempo. This comes at a defensive cost. Kind of like the defensive counterparts to the Air Raid offenses -- no matter the coordinator or personnel -- always stink. It's the inverse of Tressel Ball. It's also partially why Meyer loved the QB run.

It's fun to have a high flying offense, but it hamstrings your defense. I wonder with the full embrace of Day's offensive concepts (and the addition of Yurcich) whether we'll see continued struggles on the defensive side of the ball no matter who's in charge. The easy analog for Day is Lincoln Riley, and I don't think it's a stretch to see what the all-in offensive approach can do to a defense. Prior to Riley, they had a proud defensive tradition. With Riley, they might as well have been Washington State or Texas Tech.
    Good points, I think Freeman could be huge, a former OSU player, a good recruiter, and very good Ohio ties. I would have no issue bringing him in with Schiano in year one. I think Schiano is damaged goods right now and think he needs a rehabilitation year.

I think defense is much more difficult in today's game. The offense is so potent that even the best defenses struggle. Just for example, OSU destroyed Michigan this season but they still scored 39 points. In one of the best OSU v Michigan games, 2006, Michigan scored the same number of points. One game was a nail bitter, the other was a blowout. Its the nature of tempo, spread, and all the passing in today's game. Even in the OSU v Alabama game, which was pretty much a great all around game, the final score was 42-35. I do think that Oklahoma (and the Big 12's) defensive worries are far more troublesome than OSU's.

I "think" that a lot of what you are seeing now is why OSU went with Day. They may have been able to get a higher profile coach, but I think what Day kept in tact and had lined up is far more than any other coach would have brought to OSU. I think what Day is doing is stabilizing the recruiting so there are no "bad" classes that cost a team.

21. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (01-04-2019)

Fields has to take on the NCAA first for hardship waiver...he has a good lawyer but with the NCAA you never know. Rumors have it he did not feel like he was a fit in Georgia's offense. Spring practices will be interesting as I don't see Martell just handing the job over and you also have a Day recruit in Baldwin who is highly thought of.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?