Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    See Jalen Hurts and Kelly Bryant.

Play the best man. The fact that it comes during a regime change makes this even less egregious.

C’mon.
    Yeah, I knew this would be the typical response - it's not as if I expect it to be any other way, but again, these kids aren't getting paid so eh. The ruthless "play the best" stuff should either be for the pros or they should be paying the kids.

It's also ignoring the fact that OSU coaches have been lying to recruits about Fields, which yeah, everyone's dishonest so I guess deal with it, right?

This is why I can't think about it too hard if I want to keep watching college football, it's all so gross.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yeah, I knew this would be the typical response - it's not as if I expect it to be any other way, but again, these kids aren't getting paid so eh. The ruthless "play the best" stuff should either be for the pros or they should be paying the kids.

It's also ignoring the fact that OSU coaches have been lying to recruits about Fields, which yeah, everyone's dishonest so I guess deal with it, right?

This is why I can't think about it too hard if I want to keep watching college football, it's all so gross.
    I don't want to get into the whole "paid or not paid" argument here, I will venture to say that Tate has had more exposure and publicity than 99.9999% of the kids his age. He has use his platform to further his name and good for him in doing so.

I feel bad for him on one hand because one of the best players at his position was brought in to compete with Tate. Tate for his part has been nothing but supportative of OSU during his time in Columbus. But on the other hand, I wouldn't feel bad if a LB was brought in to replace Borland or Warner? Would you?

I think Fields doesn't get immediate eligibility and Tate gets the starting nod coming out of spring practice. I think Baldwin is more of Day's guy, but Tate is the better player and wins the job. If Fields gets immediate eligibility I think Tate does get some serious playing time this season. I think they "need" him in the program in 2019 because they don't want to go a season with two QB's.

4. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Yeah, what a relief. Wouldn't have wanted Schiano to come in and lead Tennessee to a losing record...
    Well, it is a rebuilding year in the best conference in the history of college football.

Schiano is a dolt anyway. OSU is way better off without him and should've let Alex Grinch control that D.

I want to feel bad for him, but I recently learned his given name is "Tathan" and I lost all sympathy...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Well, it is a rebuilding year in the best conference in the history of college football.
    You should post this poop somewhere else

7. Likes:

BillDoran (01-08-2019),HeatherC1212 (01-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post

Schiano is a dolt anyway. OSU is way better off without him and should've let Alex Grinch control that D.
    And should not have let him leave for Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    See Jalen Hurts and Kelly Bryant.

Play the best man. The fact that it comes during a regime change makes this even less egregious.

C’mon.
    Yep. Where's Jeff Burrows at and how did he get there?

I can understand where RF is coming from, but it's become dog-eat-dog as far as recruiting goes in college football. And because of that, one's ethics/trustworthiness will take a second seat at times. But I'm not going to fault a "recruit" for transferring in order to get playing time (exposure) any more then I'll fault a program for loading up (hoarding) talent then trying to sort out what they got. Nature of the beast.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-09-2019 at 03:42 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

10. Likes:

jimbo (01-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

What exactly are you talking about “lying to recruits about Fields.”...was something reported along these lines? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    And should not have let him leave for Oklahoma.
    OU gave him a $500,000 raise. I imagine Gene Smith could have found that in the couch cushions, but there's a lot of speculation about Grinch's role in the secondary's decline. Rumor suggests they tried to keep him around, but it's not clear they would give him playcalling responsibilities.

I think the Hafley and Mattison hires are solid. From what I've read on Hafley, he sounds like a bright young defensive mind. It seems fairly clear that he's Day's guy though, given his path. If they can reel in Michigan's Al Washington (who was at B.C. with Day) and a dynamic CB coach, I'd call the overhaul a success. I have my doubts about how effective any defense can be when you go all-in on offense, but judging by resumes the new guys look great. It'll be fun to see who fills the LB and CB roles.

Al Washington coming to be the LB coach. Day just raided Harbaughs pantry.

As for the Grinch stuff, if OU wants to pay him $1.5M to be their DC more power to them. You don’t have to read between the lines here to see Day wasn’t impressed. Obviously the defense didn’t have a good year and more importantly he seemed to be really lacking as a recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

As for the Grinch stuff, if OU wants to pay him $1.5M to be their DC more power to them. You don’t have to read between the lines here to see Day wasn’t impressed. Obviously the defense didn’t have a good year and more importantly he seemed to be really lacking as a recruiter.
    OSU didn’t pick up a CB in the 2019 class. It’s insane. Grinch was a horrible recruiter.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

I think Al Washington is big, probably bigger than a lot of people realize. With the exception of Hartline, Day is building a pretty national staff. I think he needs guys on his staff who are Ohio born and raised. He needs guys who grew up around the tradition of OSU. Having Hartline and Washington on staff helps him out in that area. I think its something the staff has missed since Combs left for the NFL.

There was a 5 start DB who has been tweeting about wanting an offer from OSU. It since has been extended, but its a shock that OSU wouldn't offer this kid. The knock on Grinch has been his recruiting, and it its true, he has to be a GREAT coordinator to overcome that.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    OU gave him a $500,000 raise. I imagine Gene Smith could have found that in the couch cushions, but there's a lot of speculation about Grinch's role in the secondary's decline. Rumor suggests they tried to keep him around, but it's not clear they would give him playcalling responsibilities.

I think the Hafley and Mattison hires are solid. From what I've read on Hafley, he sounds like a bright young defensive mind. It seems fairly clear that he's Day's guy though, given his path. If they can reel in Michigan's Al Washington (who was at B.C. with Day) and a dynamic CB coach, I'd call the overhaul a success. I have my doubts about how effective any defense can be when you go all-in on offense, but judging by resumes the new guys look great. It'll be fun to see who fills the LB and CB roles.
    I'm curious what you mean by the bolded part. Do you mean a lot of points/big strike offense = increased possessions for D to cover?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm curious what you mean by the bolded part. Do you mean a lot of points/big strike offense = increased possessions for D to cover?
    Yep, that is more or less my hypothesis. I believe the high-octane offense hamstrings the defense.

The hurry-up spread can be a thing of beauty when it's running on all cylinders. I bet there were at least half a dozen touchdowns this season where Ohio State had marched down the field running only two or three different plays. The other team was gassed, disorganized, and by the time you're near the red zone, the touchdown is a foregone conclusion. They'd more or less walk it in as the defensive players looked around confused.

The inverse though is the 45-second three-and-out, where your defense is back on the field without much of a rest. The paced-up, pass-heavy offense puts a lot of strain on the defense. I think there's a reason most of the better statistical defenses in the country are complemented by slower, less powerful offenses. (Mind you, the exceptions are the national powers: Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, though I'd be interested to see where they stand pace-wise). Any Ohio State fan can tell you about Tressell Ball and Jim's reverence for special teams. This was his refusal to put his defense in a bad spot, at the expense of the offense. The Tressell Ball approach surely had its merits, but it also introduced a host of its own problems.

I don't think this is a particularly radical thought (nor do I think it's settled fact), but with the increased emphasis on offense, I think it bears mentioning that Ryan Day's offense itself is a problem for the defense. I think it's somewhat unfair to expect a lock-down top-10 defense in the country when your offense is frequently putting you in tough positions. I also know having an offense-forward program is the current wave and doesn't necessarily preclude a successful defense. Watching Michigan State and their prehistoric offense (or even Michigan's tired approach) surely doesn't have me pining for a conservative offense. Again, I just think it warrants noting that hoping for the best offense and best defense in the country isn't realistic and to acknowledge that Day's offense makes things tough on the defense.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-09-2019)

Is Day's offense any more high-paced than Urban's was? And he had some very good defenses at both Florida and OSU. Also, as you pointed out, Clemson and Bama have pretty great defenses. I'm not sure where Bama is on pace in terms of seconds between plays, but they were scoring at historic rates this year. Tua didn't even throw a pass in the 4th quarter until more than halfway through the season. Yes, fast paced offenses could have an impact on the defense, but really only if they're quickly getting 3 and outs. Quickly scoring a TD is not putting the defense in a bad position. That sounds similar to saying that a home run is a rally killer.

Fast pace offenses are going to result in more total plays, and thus total yardage and points will likely be higher. But it shouldn't necessarily result in higher yards per play. A good offense that can get out to quick leads can be a huge benefit to the defense because it can make the opposing offense more one-dimensional.

Tempo is great, but it is hard on defense. What makes the best teams so successful with tempo is their depth. One of the biggest things that hurt OSU this year was their lack of depth in the LB corps as well as diminished depth when Bosa went out. Prior to Bosa going out, they were able to spell both him and Chase Young from time to time because one was good enough to reek havoc, especially if Dre'mont was on the field. But when you are a normal team, or you lack that talented depth, tempo is a defensive killer.

Turn Off Ads?