Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 78 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

2019 NFL Season

Time to move on from the 2018 thread as all the news is about 2019.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Vikings hired Gary Kubiak as an offensive advisor.

Gary's son Klint will take over as quarterbacks coach with Kevin Stefanski promoted from interim offensive coordinator to full-time OC. An in-season power struggle is not difficult to envision should the Vikings start slow on Stefanski's watch surrounded by Kubiaks, but it's obviously a risk coach Mike Zimmer is willing to take. Kubiak is a longtime confidante of Mike Shanahan, who drafted Vikings QB Kirk Cousins in Washington.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Packers hired ex-Jaguars OC Nathaniel Hackett as offensive coordinator.

Hackett and new Packers coach Matt LaFleur have never worked together at any of their previous stops. But Hackett has plenty of experience as a play-caller and will be a nice addition for LaFleur to bounce ideas off of in his first year as head coach. Hackett was fired by the Jaguars back in November, but the Jags' issues ran much deeper than Hackett, who just the previous year got Blake Bortles to play the best ball of his career. Hackett, LaFleur, and DC Mike Pettine are in place.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019 nfl season

Here's support of my opinion:

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports NFL scouts he's spoken to grade Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray as a second- or third-round pick.

RapSheet also made it clear that Murray's decision to submit his name as a 2019 draft prospect does not necessarily mean he will play in the NFL. Murray's agent, Scott Boras, has told the Oakland Athletics his client will report to spring training on time in April. At just 5-foot-9, Murray has been bantered about as a potential top-ten pick. A day-two draft selection seems more likely considering his size and questionable-at-best dedication to football as his primary sport.

Source: NFL Network on Twitter

...and more support:

Ex-NFL GM Mike Lombardi is "not buying" speculation Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray will be an early first-round pick in the NFL draft.

Many seem to be assuming Murray will go top ten, and Lombardi went to great lengths to praise Murray's arm strength, athleticism, and accuracy. But decision makers inside the NFL will inevitably be terrified of 5-foot-9 Murray's stature, and Lombardi suggests Murray making himself eligible for the NFL draft is merely a ploy by agent Scott Boras to get his client more guaranteed money from the Oakland A's, who took him No. 9 overall in the MLB draft.

Source: The Athletic
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-14-2019)

I'm thinking some team will overdraft him in April.

Just wonderin':

Does he need a football agent in addition to Boras?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm thinking some team will overdraft him in April.

Just wonderin':

Does he need a football agent in addition to Boras?
    Boras probably has people in his "organization" that are registered with the NFLPA, just to cross his T's and dot his I's. Even if he doesn't I don't think it would be required for him to have someone on that list.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Boras probably has people in his "organization" that are registered with the NFLPA, just to cross his T's and dot his I's. Even if he doesn't I don't think it would be required for him to have someone on that list.
    To me you would have to be insane to use a first or even second round pick on Murray. That is not because of his talent level or even stature, it is because of his baseball career. Of all positions, I think it would be impossible for a quarterback to juggle two sports, so unless he quit baseball altogether before the draft, I would not risk it. I would take a mid round flyer on him, but no way would I touch him before the 4th round.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    To me you would have to be insane to use a first or even second round pick on Murray. That is not because of his talent level or even stature, it is because of his baseball career. Of all positions, I think it would be impossible for a quarterback to juggle two sports, so unless he quit baseball altogether before the draft, I would not risk it. I would take a mid round flyer on him, but no way would I touch him before the 4th round.
    It worked for Deion and Bo.

Then again, they aren’t QBs.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It worked for Deion and Bo.

Then again, they aren’t QBs.
    The demands on a quarterback are much greater than a running back or a defensive back. It is not enough to know the playbook, they must completely understand it. They need to spend a lot of time on film study and a lot of time working with their receivers. I don't think it can really be done if you are splitting time across two sports. If he quits baseball before the draft, I would be interested in his talent, if not, it is too big of a risk.

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-15-2019)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

The demands on a quarterback are much greater than a running back or a defensive back. It is not enough to know the playbook, they must completely understand it. They need to spend a lot of time on film study and a lot of time working with their receivers. I don't think it can really be done if you are splitting time across two sports. If he quits baseball before the draft, I would be interested in his talent, if not, it is too big of a risk.
    There is a caveat here. He could be a Antwan Randle El? A team takes him and changes his position?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    There is a caveat here. He could be a Antwan Randle El? A team takes him and changes his position?
    But would you spend an early round pick on him if that was your plan? He will be drafted, but I don't see him going before late 3rd round if he hasn't quit baseball before the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    If he doesn't play QB he isn't playing football

But would you spend an early round pick on him if that was your plan? He will be drafted, but I don't see him going before late 3rd round if he hasn't quit baseball before the draft.
    I don't think he's showing up for Spring Training. I don't know if that qualifies as giving up baseball

I don't think he's showing up for Spring Training. I don't know if that qualifies as giving up baseball
    I don't think it does. He is keeping his options open, which stinks for the A's and for whatever NFL team drafts him. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Murray at all, he is just using the leverage he has. I don't know the details of his contract with the A's. I know it gave him permission to play his senior year of football. I don't know if it says anything about entering the NFL draft or the ramifications of skipping spring training. If he is drafted high he stands to make much more money right away in football. He'd probably have a longer healthier life if he chooses baseball, but without the guaranteed money. I imagine whoever drafts him will have to give an even larger bonus than normal for him to give up baseball.

I've changed my mind a bit. I guess if as a GM you are really sold on Tyler Murray the quarterback, you should go ahead and draft him. I doubt he would give up 25-30 million dollars and the chance to play quarterback in the NFL to honor his baseball commitment.

I'd think it would be a prime sign. The A's have him under contract. He either reports or he should be let go and give his bonus back. Even Russell Wilson shows up for Spring Training. I think the A's either have to be tough about it or make him an offer he can't refuse to give up football. If he's serious about playing baseball he needs to go to spring training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-17-2019)

Looks like the Bears are interested in signing a kicker:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...rb-kareem-hunt
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?