Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Surprised there's no chatter here about the owners 31-1 vote to allow PI calls or non calls on instant replay. I'm surprised it passed so convincingly. I think this has the potential to be a real mess. Not so much with coaches challenges 'cause that's still limited but how 'bout on scoring plays and the last 2 mins of a game? I can see all kinds of calls getting overturned because of a PI reversal or calling one where no call was made. They're taking a real chance with this
    Agreed. Pass interference is a pretty subjective call. I want them to get as many calls right as possible, but I could see this causing as many problems as it solves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?

Surprised there's no chatter here about the owners 31-1 vote to allow PI calls or non calls on instant replay. I'm surprised it passed so convincingly. I think this has the potential to be a real mess. Not so much with coaches challenges 'cause that's still limited but how 'bout on scoring plays and the last 2 mins of a game? I can see all kinds of calls getting overturned because of a PI reversal or calling one where no call was made. They're taking a real chance with this
    The one vote, Mike Brown. The more things change the more they stay the same. I like the change some of the calls are so terrible it had to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    The one vote, Mike Brown. The more things change the more they stay the same. I like the change some of the calls are so terrible it had to be done.
    I can't wait to see the first time they review a hail Mary. I could be wrong, but it seems like there's way too much subjectivity in things like PI and holding to have them reviewable

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I can't wait to see the first time they review a hail Mary. I could be wrong, but it seems like there's way too much subjectivity in things like PI and holding to have them reviewable

Like Offensive Holding by a Lineman.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Is there a better way to make those things less subjective than by giving human eyes and brains help from cameras?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Is there a better way to make those things less subjective than by giving human eyes and brains help from cameras?
    You could call PI or offensive holding on almost every play if you wanted to. I'm all for replay, robo-umps, etc., But I don't think it works well for every type of call. Did a guy get 2 feet down is a concrete review. I'm all for that. But PI is different. There's some bumping on every play. I just foresee plays where a guy gets barely nudged (technically PI but never called), and the play gets challenged and called PI because by the letter of the law it was. You can find PI everywhere. I don't think this is going to be an improvement at all, and for once I think Mike Brown was right to be the lone vote against

You could call PI or offensive holding on almost every play if you wanted to. I'm all for replay, robo-umps, etc., But I don't think it works well for every type of call. Did a guy get 2 feet down is a concrete review. I'm all for that. But PI is different. There's some bumping on every play. I just foresee plays where a guy gets barely nudged (technically PI but never called), and the play gets challenged and called PI because by the letter of the law it was. You can find PI everywhere. I don't think this is going to be an improvement at all, and for once I think Mike Brown was right to be the lone vote against

These are valid points and ones I didn't really consider. Like a lot of people the Saints and Rams game is what comes to my mind. I hope it is used for blatant plays like that, and not for hail marys and minor touching and pushing. I see your point and hope that is not how it is enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    These are valid points and ones I didn't really consider. Like a lot of people the Saints and Rams game is what comes to my mind. I hope it is used for blatant plays like that, and not for hail marys and minor touching and pushing. I see your point and hope that is not how it is enforced.
    Yeah. Obviously that call was wrong and hugely impactful, and you want to be able to fix that. But by fixing it you just open up a new world of problems. I don't know how you say review is only for egregious misses. A missed call is a missed call, no matter how blatant or obvious.

It's going to be funny when TDs start coming off the board because officials are going to have to look at WRs pushing off at the goal line.

10. Likes:

Senzling Hot (03-28-2019)

To quote my brother who won a couple state championship games in high school.... "You could call holding on every play and be right".
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

12. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (03-28-2019)

Yeah. Obviously that call was wrong and hugely impactful, and you want to be able to fix that. But by fixing it you just open up a new world of problems. I don't know how you say review is only for egregious misses. A missed call is a missed call, no matter how blatant or obvious.

It's going to be funny when TDs start coming off the board because officials are going to have to look at WRs pushing off at the goal line.

You convinced me because really there would be no way to only review the really bad calls. That one play just sticks out in my mind, but after your thoughts I could see where this could fail.

They are heading down a long slippery slope by doing this. IMO there will be even more confusion and delays to games. The NFL, to me, is nearly unwatchable now with all the commercials that are interjected not mention replay delays. Add even more replay delays and we are headed to 4+ hour games as a norm. I'm glad I don't watch much NFL anymore.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (03-28-2019),Kingspoint (03-28-2019),redsfanmia (03-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They are heading down a long slippery slope by doing this. IMO there will be even more confusion and delays to games. The NFL, to me, is nearly unwatchable now with all the commercials that are interjected not mention replay delays. Add even more replay delays and we are headed to 4+ hour games as a norm. I'm glad I don't watch much NFL anymore.
    I imagine this was Mike Brown's reasons for voting No.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Not to mention that it gives the replay center more power to control the outcome of a game they feel like "fixing".

You think the Steelers got favors before? You really want to give them more opportunities to get free rides to a Championship?

Greg Schiano quits the Patriots.

I’d say there’s a clash between him and Belichick.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Greg Schiano quits the Patriots.

I’d say there’s a clash between him and Belichick.
    Awfully good move by Tennessee fans and not hiring this guy

Turn Off Ads?