Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What is the NFL worth? They sure could have an investigation team in place at the snap of their fingers.

Here is the way I view things, playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. You don't need to follow the rule of law, you don't need to have clear evidence, you need to follow one thing, the CBA.

If it were up to me, I would have a list of accusations that cause immediate action. In the Brown cast it would go like this:
    1. Brown is accused of rape.
    2. The NFL forms an investigation committee that looks into the accusation.
    3. There is a short window, a couple of weeks, that allows a preliminary report detailing whether or not there is credible evidence to the accusation.
    4. Brown goes on the exempt list until the case is over or the committee give a final report. Then the commish can render a "final" decision.

The NFL has strict rule against drug tests but seems to fail when it comes to other crimes. AP beat his kid and is still hanging around. Same with Tyreke Hill. Kareem Hunt is suspended and will play this season. If you assault a woman or child, you should be suspended for a long time. Because we know, if you are good, someone will sign you.

If you are accused of sexual assault, lets find out if there is anything behind it, and if there is, you go on the exempt list until it is resolved.
    Now we’re getting somewhere. Sure, there’s nothing stopping the league from investigating this right now. They don’t have to put him on the exempt list to do that. But if they try to put him on the exempt list now based on a civil case, which has never been done before, there’s going to be some serious pushback by the union.

And yes, the league surely has enough money to finance an investigation. But how does that play out exactly? They hire investigators, and the team goes to talk to Brown. Brown knows this can only end badly for him and the league isn’t looking out for his best interests, so he says “Fu, there is already an investigation going on. Go talk to them.” So they go to the accuser, and they say “Why should we talk to you? If you come back and say there is no grounds to suspend him, what would our civil case look like?“ Again, just because the league has money to finance an investigation doesn’t mean they would be good at it.

The only option is for the league to let this play out, and then suspend him if there is evidence of wrongdoing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    The only option is for the league to let this play out, and then suspend him if there is evidence of wrongdoing.
    Credible, persuasive evidence of wrongdoing.

Now we’re getting somewhere. Sure, there’s nothing stopping the league from investigating this right now. They don’t have to put him on the exempt list to do that. But if they try to put him on the exempt list now based on a civil case, which has never been done before, there’s going to be some serious pushback by the union.

And yes, the league surely has enough money to finance an investigation. But how does that play out exactly? They hire investigators, and the team goes to talk to Brown. Brown knows this can only end badly for him and the league isn’t looking out for his best interests, so he says “Fu, there is already an investigation going on. Go talk to them.” So they go to the accuser, and they say “Why should we talk to you? If you come back and say there is no grounds to suspend him, what would our civil case look like?“ Again, just because the league has money to finance an investigation doesn’t mean they would be good at it.

It will play out in the civil courts and it will end in the NFL's favor. When the players and league agreed on their last CBA, the players got more money but gave the Commish more power.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    It will play out in the civil courts and it will end in the NFL's favor. When the players and league agreed on their last CBA, the players got more money but gave the Commish more power.
    That’s fine. I’m just saying they can’t suspend him now. And even then, I can’t see this case going anywhere unless there is a lot more evidence that we’re not seeing yet.

A player has never been put on the exempt list based on hearsay. Plus, even if there is a criminal complaint and physical evidence, they typically wait for the investigation to run its course on the outside.
    Tom Brady was suspended for deflate gate, despite there being no evidence he actually did anything.

Was Ben Roethlesberger ever charged with rape? Not that I remember, yet he was suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Yep, there are rumors that AB hired a social media group with the sole purpose of getting out of his deal/release from Oakland. Someone doesn't do that if they're not 100000000% sure someone will be there to catch him when he's release. Hours later dang wouldn't you know here comes Belicheat on his white horse!
    Not to mention he threatened to retire if he got traded to Buffalo before the trade to Oakland.

My guess is Buffalo would have been content to let him sit out the season knowing they’d have to face him twice a year if they caved in like Oakland did.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by phatknuckle View Post
    Tom Brady was suspended for deflate gate, despite there being no evidence he actually did anything.

Was Ben Roethlesberger ever charged with rape? Not that I remember, yet he was suspended.
    Brady was suspended because he threw roadblocks in the way of the investigation, such as destroying his phone in the middle of it to the point that any evidence/proof of innocence was not accessible. There was also texts from Brady that showed he knew employees were deflating balls after inspection.

He also got the hammer because this wasn't a first time for the Patriots to get CAUGHT possibly in the act of cheating "Red Handed". The NFL HAD to come down hard because they let the house of cards stand after Spygate and destroying the tapes rather than showing just what exactly the Patriots had been caught with.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I am not saying that Antonio Brown can never be suspended. I’m saying he can’t be suspended before there is an investigation. If there had been an arrest, an indictment, video, or any kind of physical evidence, then sure, that could be enough for a suspension and the investigation would be short and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    This is SO easy to solve. If he comes out with the watch, the referees toss him from the game. Problem solved. He won't ever wear it again.
    Yes, that's another way to handle it

I won't pretend to understand the psychological dynamics of being raped - especially by a friend or an employer. Antonio Brown was reportedly both and probably her main source of income. He was also the man that could make her career as a personal trainer. Due to trauma and shame many women don't immediately report rape by a stranger, I imagine it would be even more difficult to do so in such a case. I have no idea whether this is a money grab or whether it actually happened but I don't necessarily discount her story just because she didn't run to the police. As you pointed out, at this point it is nearly impossible to prove - hence the civil court case where the burden of proof is lower.
    I don't discount it but it does make her case harder to prove. That's the problem

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    This is SO easy to solve. If he comes out with the watch, the referees toss him from the game. Problem solved. He won't ever wear it again.
    There are actually rules in place that address this. He comes out in warmups for it, he gets warned and he can't go into the game if it's off. He comes out on the field with it, he goes to the bench and he and the coach are told he has to remove it or he can't come into the game. If he tries to come in with it, they get penalized 5 yards and sent to the bench. If he tries again, he's gone.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...ulebook/#rule5
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I think Oakland should file a civil suit because he screwed them over pretty good
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

It's only game 2 and already Cam Newton looks hurt and is playing bad. The Panthers are 0-2 after 2 home games. Not good

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's only game 2 and already Cam Newton looks hurt and is playing bad. The Panthers are 0-2 after 2 home games. Not good
    His preseason and training camp was supposed to be good from what I read, but I have yet to watch him.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Not a Cam fan (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?