Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Vick may have been faster, but Jackson is quicker than Vick.
    What's the difference between quicker and faster? LOL I'm assuming you're referring to agility?

When one looks at all the dual-threat run option QBs that have burst onto the scene in the last 15+ years or so ... and there have been a lot ... how many Super Bowl rings do they have between them? One. Wilson. With McNabb and Newton making appearances, but on the losing end. Not a very good track record IMO, no matter how fun these QBs may be to watch. They haven't been able to juke themselves into a SB victory.

And I really don't put Wilson in the same class as the others as far as possessing that "elite" athletic ability, agility, speed, as a Vick, Newton, Jackson. He's a dual-threat, athletic for sure ... I just think he's a smarter QB, especially when he's out of the pocket, relies more on reading downfield and on his arm. The other's, IMO, rely far more heavier on their running ability. Look at Wilson's seasonal rushing yardage average vs the rest (500+ yds/season).

But the physique that gifts them with that elite athletic ability just can't, over time, take the physical beating week-after-week (abuse) these guys are putting their bodies through. That's the bottom-line with me. The casualty list is quite long. JMO, but I think the NFL is rethinking this. In '18 there were five QBs taken in the 1st round. Jackson was taken at #32 when the Ravens traded up to get him. Why? Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen, all went before him and in the top ten. Just a mistake (oversight) on the NFL? Or a possibly change of direction?
    Last edited by GAC; 10-26-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-26-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Vicks field vision was otherworldly and that's a whole additional attribute involved with dual threat QBs. There have been others who while not known as "fast" QBs had great running ability due to their ability to read the field. Steve McNair comes to mind.

Let us remember that most "dual"-threat QB's that are drafted never achieve the ability to be a threat in the passing game and their "single"-threat rarely lasts for more than 16 games.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

If there was a dual threat QB that I thought could have survived long term from the physical beating that he took it would be Cam Newton.

He just never managed to improve in the pocket for when his legs would ultimately fail him, same with any QB listed.

Running QBs are just like RBs, they don’t have a very long shelf life.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

Chip R (10-27-2019),GAC (10-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Vick only fizzled out because he was into dog fighting.
    Vick was on the outs prior to his dog fighting issues. He pretty much peaked in his 3rd season starting then tailed off after that.

I thought Cam could make it as a dual threat, he just takes a pounding every time he runs the ball. What is different with Cam, is he tends to run between the tackles, he runs the ball where he will take a hit.

Russell Wilson is probably the best dual threat QB we have seen in the game since Steve Young. Russell doesn't really run unless a play is broken down, and he has the innate ability to avoid the big hit. But right now Russell is 100 times the passer Jackson is.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-28-2019),GAC (10-29-2019),Kingspoint (10-28-2019),Revering4Blue (10-28-2019),Sea Ray (10-28-2019)

The other coaching 'genius' and boy wonder, Kliff Kingsbury, went for it on 4th down in the 3Q on Sunday. One thing that is really starting to annoy me is when coaches hide behind this:

Edmonds was stuffed, the Saints scored a couple of minutes later and Arizona was on its way to a 31-9 loss. Kingsbury said after the game that his gut and the team’s analytics supported the decision to try for the first down.
    Dude, just shut up and own it. Don't tell me your computer nerds told you to go for it.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ething-happen/

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (10-28-2019)

It's going to be amazing what Rodgers will do if he can get a decent Reciever or two this season in the same game.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's going to be amazing what Rodgers will do if he can get a decent Reciever or two this season in the same game.
    The Bears got a couple of them the Packers could use. They would love to go to Green Bay where a QB can actually throw vertically.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-29-2019)

Fitzmagic at work for the Dolphins tonight. 14-0 Miami right now. Bengals may be in sole possession of the first overall pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Fitzmagic at work for the Dolphins tonight. 14-0 Miami right now. Bengals may be in sole possession of the first overall pick.

Either that defensive play call on 3rd and 20 was made to keep up the tank, or that defensive coordinator needs to be fired immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Either that defensive play call on 3rd and 20 was made to keep up the tank, or that defensive coordinator needs to be fired immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought the same thing, like the call came down "LET THEM SCORE"
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Vicks field vision was otherworldly and that's a whole additional attribute involved with dual threat QBs. There have been others who while not known as "fast" QBs had great running ability due to their ability to read the field. Steve McNair comes to mind.
    McNair was athletic for sure. But did not rely on his running ability over passing like Vick, Cam, Jackson IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Russell Wilson is probably the best dual threat QB we have seen in the game since Steve Young. Russell doesn't really run unless a play is broken down, and he has the innate ability to avoid the big hit. But right now Russell is 100 times the passer Jackson is.
    I don't know if I'd consider Young a dual-threat QB though, in the likes of the others. He only ran for a total of 700+ yards his whole career.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't know if I'd consider Young a dual-threat QB though, in the likes of the others. He only ran for a total of 700+ yards his whole career.
    I think you looked at his stats wrong. Young had 700+ rushing attempts but he totalled 4,239 rushing yards for his career, the fourth most ever gained by a quarterback, behind Michael Vick, Cam Newton, and Randall Cunningham.

23. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-29-2019),GAC (10-30-2019),Rojo Rijo (10-29-2019),Sea Ray (10-29-2019)

Turn Off Ads?