Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB.com Prospect Pipeline Lists

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

2019 MLB.com Prospect Pipeline Lists

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019/

They've had their top 50 draft prospects out for awhile now. They started today listing their top 10 at each position. Today is top 10 RHPs.

Hunter Greene comes in at #10. Santillan is not on the list.

Hunter Greene | Rank: 10
    Team: Dayton Dragons (A) ETA: 2021 Position: RHP Age: 19 DOB: 08/06/1999 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6' 4" Weight: 215 lb. Drafted: 2017, 1st (2) - CIN
    Watch
    Scouting grades: Fastball: 80 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 55 | Overall: 55

Greene, who was the No. 2 overall selection by the Reds in the 2017 Draft and received a bonus pool-era record $7.23 million because of his power arm, is being watched closely after he suffered an injury during his first full season in the Midwest League. A right elbow strain that shut him down for the year in late July was cause for concern, but was determined not to require surgery. While he's not scheduled to be ready for the start of the 2019 season, Greene is not expected to take very long to get going after passing incremental tests during rehabilitation.

The start of Greene's first full professional season had its ups and downs, as the right-hander endured many rough outings and lackluster pitching lines at the start of the year. But with a repeatable delivery and easy velocity that reaches 97-102 mph, he started finding his groove as the year went on and was very impressive during his Futures Game stint. While his fastball lights up radar guns, it often lacks life. The pitch has good finish when he keeps it down, but it straightens when Greene elevates it, making it more hittable above the knees. His secondary pitches remain works in progress, with a slider that flashes plus and a changeup, while still in the embryonic stage, that has the makings of being a solid third offering. He showed improved command and control as his first season wore on.

Off the field, Greene is polished, gracious and has the poise to help him become a star in the game if he continues to develop and stays healthy. He has the chance to pitch at, or near, the top of a rotation.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

M2 (01-15-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019 MLB.com Prospect Pipeline Lists

Top 10 LHPs

No Reds are listed. In fact, pitchers from just five organizations make up the top 10 in this list: SDP(4), TBR(2), OAK(2), SEA(1), BAL(1).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Top 10 Catchers

Tyler Stephenson is not listed, surprisingly, after a strong showing at A+.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Top 10 Catchers

Tyler Stephenson is not listed, surprisingly, after a strong showing at A+.
    I like Stephenson but I don't think it's surprising.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-24-2019)

Top 10 First Basemen

With Joey entrenched, nobody in the Reds system comes close to being a top first baseman prospect.

Top 10 Second Baseman

No Reds 2nd base prospects listed. Downs is number 6. Shed Long isn't listed.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Top 10 Second Baseman

No Reds 2nd base prospects listed. Downs is number 6. Shed Long isn't listed.
    Where are they putting Senzel?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Brendan McKay is #3 LHP and #4 1B
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Where are they putting Senzel?
    3B. Senzel is #2 and India #5
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

13. Likes:

marcshoe (01-22-2019)

Top 10 Third Basemen

Senzel and India are, indeed, #'s 2 and 5 respectively.

Nick Senzel | Rank: 2
    Team: Louisville Bats (AAA) ETA: 2019 Position: 3B/2B/OF Age: 23 DOB: 06/29/1995 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6' 1" Weight: 205 lb. Drafted: 2016, 1st (2) - CIN
    Watch
    Scouting grades: Hit: 65 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60 | Overall: 65

The No. 2 overall pick in the 2016 Draft, Senzel seemed poised to complete his relatively brief time in player development during 2018, only to be delayed by injuries. First, he missed time with a bout of vertigo in May and then came a fractured right index finger that required season-ending surgery in June. Bone spurs in his elbow cut short his fall work as well. But there was a lot to like in the short amount of time that Senzel did play.

Senzel is an athletic player whose bat is just about ready for the highest level. That's not surprising given he was billed as the top pure hitter in his Draft class. Originally a third baseman out of Tennessee, he can handle the hot corner and he also has the makings of an above-average second baseman. He got some reps in center and left field during instructs as the Reds continue to look for ways to get his bat into the big league lineup soon, as he is blocked at second and third.

When healthy, Senzel uses a combination of strength and bat speed, along with an advanced approach at the plate, to be an extremely dangerous hitter from the right side. He makes consistent hard contact, doesn't strike out a lot and draws walks, which points to a future of hitting over .300 and perhaps competing for batting titles. He could debut as an everyday utility player until a permanent spot opens for him.
    Jonathan India | Rank: 5
    Team: Dayton Dragons (A) ETA: 2021 Position: 3B Age: 22 DOB: 12/15/1996 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6' 1" Weight: 200 lb. Drafted: 2018, 1st (5) - CIN
    Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55

After a pair of relatively ordinary years at Florida, India enjoyed a huge breakout season as a junior and catapulted into top-10-pick conversations. The Reds selected him at No. 5 overall and signed him for $5,297,500, nearly $600,000 below pick value.

Although he appeared to be exhausted following a college season, the College World Series and the Draft process, India still navigated his way through his first pro summer and appeared with three different affiliates. All the while, he still demonstrated why he was a top 5 Draft pick. With an advanced approach at the plate, he has excellent plate discipline and the ability to hit for average that should translate. India also has flashes of above-average power. Despite not being too speedy, he can be deceptively quick and is a solid baserunner with great instincts. A third baseman in college, India played there and at shortstop and could also likely man second base. He has a strong above-average arm with fielding skills and athleticism that would likely enable him to play multiple positions well.

Like Nick Senzel, who was also an advanced college hitter from an SEC school, India could move through the Reds' system fairly quickly, and he could potentially be a regular player around the infield until an everyday spot is found.

15. Likes:

BillDoran (01-23-2019)

Top 10 Shortstops

The Reds have no prospects on this list.

Top 10 Outfielders

Taylor Trammell is listed at #6:

Taylor Trammell | Rank: 6
    Team: Daytona Tortugas (A Adv) ETA: 2020 Position: OF Age: 21 DOB: 09/13/1997 Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6' 2" Weight: 195 lb. Drafted: 2016, CBA (35) - CIN
    Watch
    Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 50 | Run: 65 | Arm: 45 | Field: 55 | Overall: 60

When the Reds signed Nick Senzel as the No. 2 pick in the 2016 Draft for more than $1.5 million under pick value, it enabled them to be aggressive later in the Draft. That was especially true with Trammell, who signed for $3.2 million at No. 35 overall. The former Georgia high school star has impressed at every stop of his development and really stood out on a national stage when he won MVP honors at the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game in '18 after homering and tripling.

A multi-sport athlete in high school who had the chance to play football at Georgia Tech, Trammell's combination of natural ability, feel for the game and makeup have continued to lift him as he progresses through the system. In the Florida State League in 2018, while dealing with a nagging ankle injury, he continued efforts to lower his strikeout rate and draw walks, and he still showed left-handed pop while driving the ball. His ability to get on base will make him a regular stolen base threat that could frustrate defenses.

That speed gives Trammell the chance to be a future center fielder. He has a below average arm, something he worked on during his stint in the Arizona Fall League. If he continues to get bigger and stronger and it slows him down, his bat should profile just fine in a corner outfield spot.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (01-24-2019)

An interesting tweet today from MLB Pipeline that got me thinking: "The first player on any of our Top 10 lists to own 4 or more 60+ tools, Nick Senzel." I am a big Senzel fan. He does not have a weakness, is polished in every area, plays as hard as a guy who is a non-drafted free agent trying to make a roster. So I have nothing but positives to say about Senzel. But the fact is, among the five tools, Siri actually has a decided advantage on Senzel in four of the five. Siri is obviously faster and has a better arm. He obviously has more power. And while Senzel is a very good defensive player, Siri is better. In no way am I saying that Siri is the better prospect because Senzel is much more polished, but if you want to say Senzel is a 60 in four tools, Siri should be too. MLB Pipeline's tool ratings for Siri look like they were assigned by someone that has never seen him play.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    An interesting tweet today from MLB Pipeline that got me thinking: "The first player on any of our Top 10 lists to own 4 or more 60+ tools, Nick Senzel." I am a big Senzel fan. He does not have a weakness, is polished in every area, plays as hard as a guy who is a non-drafted free agent trying to make a roster. So I have nothing but positives to say about Senzel. But the fact is, among the five tools, Siri actually has a decided advantage on Senzel in four of the five. Siri is obviously faster and has a better arm. He obviously has more power. And while Senzel is a very good defensive player, Siri is better. In no way am I saying that Siri is the better prospect because Senzel is much more polished, but if you want to say Senzel is a 60 in four tools, Siri should be too. MLB Pipeline's tool ratings for Siri look like they were assigned by someone that has never seen him play.
    72: Do you have any reservations about Siri's effort or makeup?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    72: Do you have any reservations about Siri's effort or makeup?
    Yes, everyone does. But it has gotten better. His effort and focus have been inconsistent. He is a player who plays with tremendous emotion. When the emotion is not at a high level, he has let that effect his effort. I have compared it in the past to an NFL wide receiver like a Chad Johnson. I will say this: I personally like the kid, and I am as old school as they come when it comes to effort/respect for the game. Siri had arguably the greatest all-around season in Dayton Dragons history in 2017. He was either first or second in the league in home runs, slugging percentage, stolen bases, runs, hits, extra base hits, total bases, and triples. Top 2 in 8 categories. Also fourth in RBI and fifth in batting average. And the best defensive player in the league. That is one heck of a year that I witnessed. Absolute impact player in every way. So any problems that I saw were overshadowed by so much production. But he is very disliked by opponents, I mean hated. Not a bad person though, just rubs people the wrong way with the way he plays.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-24-2019),Edd Roush (01-25-2019),mace (01-24-2019)

Turn Off Ads?