Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Academy Award nominations are out

Re: Academy Award nominations are out

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I disliked the English Patient before Elaine did.
    I absolutely loved it and all other of Ralph Fiennes' movies about unbridled passion. For about 10 years there, nobody did it better than Fiennes and his co-stars. "Sonnenschein", " The End of the Affair", "The English Patient" and "Wuthering Heights" were all superb performances of unbridled passion.

"Unbridled passion" is the ultimate human experience and Fiennes nailed it in those four movies. (If fortune shines your way, you get to experience it once in your lifetime, and it makes life having been worth living.)
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-19-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I haven’t seen all the nominees yet, but it’s an interesting year. I feel like there are some incredible moments and scenes in every movie I’ve watched, but none of them were perfect or anything. I’d probably vote for “A Star is Born”, but it’s close.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I absolutely loved it and all other of Ralph Fiennes' movies about unbridled passion. For about 10 years there, nobody did it better than Fiennes and his co-stars. "Sonnenschein", " The End of the Affair", "The English Patient" and "Wuthering Heights" were all superb performances of unbridled passion.

"Unbridled passion" is the ultimate human experience and Fiennes nailed it in those four movies. (If fortune shines your way, you get to experience it once in your lifetime, and it makes life having been worth living.)
    I did enjoy his turn in Wuthering Heights particularly.

I was working late nights when I saw the English Patient, though, and I just didn't have the stamina.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-19-2019)

I did enjoy his turn in Wuthering Heights particularly.

I was working late nights when I saw the English Patient, though, and I just didn't have the stamina.
    There's something about three-hour movies, no matter how good they are, that just makes them too long to enjoy.

Of the four movies, "Sonnenschein" (another 3-hour-plus movie) was my favorite, but my favorite performance was his work in "The End of the Affair", more likely because of Graham Greene's superbly written character. Greene knew first-hand unbridled passion, having found it in another man's wife, just as the character did in "The End of the Affair".
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-19-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I’m have an ADHD diagnosis and didn’t find Roma the least bit boring. Best movie I’ve ever seen without a musical score. It’s still with me a week after seeing it.

Roma > Black Panther and Blackkklansman > Bohemian Rhapsody
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I’m have an ADHD diagnosis and didn’t find Roma the least bit boring. Best movie I’ve ever seen without a musical score. It’s still with me a week after seeing it.

Roma > Black Panther and Blackkklansman > Bohemian Rhapsody
    "Seven Days in May"

"Judgement at Nuremberg"

Superb Movies without scores .

9. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-21-2019)

Just went to see Bohemian Rhapsody, that has to be one of the weakest best picture nominees in the history of the Academy Awards.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

11. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-25-2019)

Good show except for the whole Green Book thing...

13. Likes:

757690 (02-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Good show except for the whole Green Book thing...
    They were doing such a great job overcoming #OscarsSoWhite all night long, until Green Book for best picture. They still don’t get it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They were doing such a great job overcoming #OscarsSoWhite all night long, until Green Book for best picture. They still don’t get it.
    Yeah and I like Green Book, it’s a good movie. It’s just not a Best Picture because of how it handled the various serious issues in the movie.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Just went to see Bohemian Rhapsody, that has to be one of the weakest best picture nominees in the history of the Academy Awards.
    The biopics all have the same feel to them, they make the arc of rock stars seem pretty lame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Movements like this inevitably cause things like last night to happen.

17. Likes:

Chip R (02-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The biopics all have the same feel to them, they make the arc of rock stars seem pretty lame.

- - - Updated - - -

Movements like this inevitably cause things like last night to happen.
    I think that’s part of it, but there wasn’t a clear cut favorite this year either. Green Book probably won because it had a lot more 2nd and 3rd place votes, not because of some “cultural backlash” or whatever.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think that’s part of it, but there wasn’t a clear cut favorite this year either. Green Book probably won because it had a lot more 2nd and 3rd place votes, not because of some “cultural backlash” or whatever.
    Nobody is ever happy with the results, no matter.

20. Likes:

Chip R (02-25-2019)

There is often some weird vote-splitting/votes-canceling-each-other-our that affects both Best Picture and Album of the Year (Grammys). Maybe a little more strategery is needed when choosing nominations to level the playing field.

I disliked the English Patient before Elaine did.
    "give me something I can work with!!"
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?