Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2018-19, Part 3..."They have a Cave Troll!"

Re: NBA 2018-19, Part 3..."They have a Cave Troll!"

Fultz for Simmons? Why? The process just took a step or two backwards. Is Simmons going to put the Sixers over the top? No. I would have hung on to Fultz for another season. I just feel that the potential upside for Fultz is way more valuable than what Simmons and the draft choices offer. Philadelphia could afford to wait awhile.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Or he makes you long for the return of Elfrid Payton.

On a separate note, why didn't they trade Vucevich?
    They want to make the playoffs. This is why they traded Simmons and both of those picks for Fultz instead of giving up Terrence Ross and his expiring deal.

There has also been a feeling Orlando wants to keep Vooch and TRoss beyond this year and some have suggested Vooch really wants to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Fultz for Simmons? Why? The process just took a step or two backwards. Is Simmons going to put the Sixers over the top? No. I would have hung on to Fultz for another season. I just feel that the potential upside for Fultz is way more valuable than what Simmons and the draft choices offer. Philadelphia could afford to wait awhile.
    They wanted nothing to do with Fultz's contract next year which is almost 10 million and then the picks help get back some of the draft capital they just traded away in the deal for Tobias Harris. Simmons is great for depth this year.

I get what you're saying but I think the 76ers and Fultz's relationship ended well before today.

Philly (the organization) was done with Fultz. That's been clear for months. He was never going to play another game for that team.

The bigger part of the haul is the two draft picks. Can they get someone better than Fultz with one (or both) of those two picks? Maybe not in terms of perceived upside, but on the actual court it seems entirely possible. Fultz has been a disaster, and it stems from the place north of his shoulders. The Process is over. That was two GMs ago. The Sixers sent Fultz to as low key a market as there is. Seems like they did right by him and have a chance to recoup something for themselves.

Simmons also might be useful off the bench if he's healthy.
    Last edited by M2; 02-07-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Simmons has been putrid this year. This isn’t even a good all-in move.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    They want to make the playoffs. This is why they traded Simmons and both of those picks for Fultz instead of giving up Terrence Ross and his expiring deal.

There has also been a feeling Orlando wants to keep Vooch and TRoss beyond this year and some have suggested Vooch really wants to stay.
    They could always trade him and then re-sign him. They're not making the playoffs this season. Markelle Fultz certainly isn't going to help with that. They could have moved Vooch with the understanding they'd see him again in July.
    Last edited by M2; 02-07-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Simmons has been putrid this year. This isn’t even a good all-in move.
    He's been injured. I don't know if he's going to get healthy, but that's why he's been well off his standard performance (to the best of my understanding).

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Skal Labissierre to Portland for Caleb Swanigan.

Interesting.
    Portland is in a weird situation trying to replace Ed Davis' production. Zach Collins will do it next season, but as M2 and I pointed out, he's not a viable rotation player, yet, and certainly not for this year's playoffs. Lillard was miffed last season when we didn't improve the roster at the deadline and miffed more when we let Ed Davis walk in order to avoid the double-luxury tax for one season, though that's perfectly reasonable. Meyers Leonard is a great shooter and a big body who is useful one-on-one vs the biggest of the bigs, and he's one of the best screeners in the NBA, but he's still bad at Team Defense, something Ed Davis is very good at. Ed Davis was also the best in the NBA at rebounding, whille Meyers and Zach have both struggled, Meyers from being out of position and Zach from being out of position and pushed around (one more season in the weight room will fix most of that). Swanigan is already 24 and too raw. Skal is basically Swanigan with more experience and a better developed all-around game.

Not Zach, Skal or Meyers are ready to be counted on to contribute positively in the playoffs this season. They can't even be counted on to contribute positively in their next 15 games, 12 of which are on the road. Zach Collins' development can't be blocked by the acquisition of someone who will take his minutes. Skal gives the Blazers one more chance for a big to possibly contribute in this year's playoffs. Like Rodney Hood, Stotts will reward Skal with more minutes if he earns them on a night to night basis. Swanigan was not going to offer that this season. Olshey left a roster spot open for picking up a player who is bought out. He needs a backup PG.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Olshey twice tried to sign Greg Monroe. Thankfully, Monroe spurned him both times. Now he can get him cheap if he wants him still.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Greg Monroe will reportedly be traded to the Nets along with a second-round pick, but Brooklyn intends to eventually waive him.

Monroe was extraneous for the Raptors once they landed Marc Gasol, since Serge Ibaka is healthy and Chris Boucher is available for emergency depth. The Nets don't need him either with Jarrett Allen and Ed Davis at the center spot, so he'll have to ply his wares with another team once he's waived.

Source: Shams Charania on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They could always trade him and then re-sign him. They're not making the playoffs this season. Markelle Fultz certainly isn't going to help with that. They could have moved with Vooch with the understanding they'd see him again in July.
    The remaining schedule is extremely light. I think it’s the 2nd easiest remaining schedule in the league. I’d prefer a high draft pick but they can compete with almost any team on any night so I understand why they want to make the playoffs. They haven’t made it since Dwight Howard left and the franchise is starved for anything that can be measured as success.

For their remaining 27 games only 9 are against teams with winning records.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 02-08-2019 at 07:44 AM.

In 145 minutes of playing time this season, Swanigan has yet to block a single shot. That is hard to believe. I liked him in college, and thought he would be a rotation player. My bad.

So...now that some of the dust has settled...

I thought that maybe the Sixers would wait out the buyout market, but no. I honestly didn't see the Tobias Harris trade coming. Hate that Philly had to give up Shamet, but Harris is a professional assassin with a basketball. In fact- and you don't have to squint hard to see it- he reminds me of less assuming, more team-oriented version of prime-age Carmelo Anthony. Doesn't get to the line as often and has a little less shake, but still a whole lot of bake. He's a perfect piece. Butler doesn't like shooting threes, Embiid shouldn't be shooting them, and Simmons can't. But Harris is a great blend of deep, mid-range, and pull-up pick and roll shooting that fills the gaps. That being said, there's only one ball, so his integration will be interesting regardless of his efficiency (20+ PPG on only 15.5 SPG).

And who wouldn't love Boban Marjanovic? Tobi and Bobi (yeah, that's a real thing) are pretty much joined at the hip. Sure, you can't play Boban against everyone and yeah, sometimes you just can't play him. But...he's a slow, plodding backup center who's also WAY bigger than other slow, plodding centers. He makes Embiid look small. His reach is 9'8". He's almost impossible to move when he locks down position under the basket and dunks on his tip toes. Now, he can't guard a center who can space, so he's out of luck against backups who can space (Kelly Olynyk types are Boban's kryptonite). But he's one of the most efficient scorers the NBA has ever seen. No, for real...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-on-the-bench/

Don't get me wrong, he's not a starting center and the Sixers aren't somehow going to be a lottery team without him, but he's not unskilled and he's fun. I can't even imagine him in the locker room with Embiid. Soon we'll get a weekly Tobi, Bobi, and Jobi podcast. Just wait for it.

Ok, so let's talk about the guards the Sixers acquired. Yeah...um...<crickets> I guess Jonathan Simmons is a guard. Maybe. I don't expect much from the only non-draft asset acquired for Fultz. Speaking of Markelle, I hope he gets healthy and does well in Orlando. Before acquiring Harris, I would have had an issue with this trade, but if the Sixers are going to try to sign BOTH Butler and Harris, there's simply no room to absorb a 10M contract for next season in order to wait on his considerable promise. Even if you can afford to pay that, can you then afford an escalation in 2020-2021 while also needing to sign Ben Simmons to a max extension to keep your "big 4" together? No, you can't. So even if the 1st rounder is sort of fake, it's still solid value and the second rounder (Cleveland's) is nearly another late first round pick. If you're gonna' move on from Markelle, there are worse ways to do it.

I really wanted Wesley Mathews in the buyout market. I don't like that he went to Indiana.

Of the other players acquired, Mike Scott is a decent bench guy. With a three-point percentage @40% over the last couple of years, he can space the floor off the bench. At minimum, he's a slightly better Wilson Chandler with better neck tattoos. James Ennis is another strictly bench guy with no neck tattoos, but with respectable range, solid shooting percentages overall, and as he's played with James Harden, we know that he's used to not demanding shots.

I'm a lot more concerned with the Bucks acquiring Nikola Mirotic (if he can stay healthy for a change) than I am with the Raptors getting Marc Gasol. I was really hoping that the stars would align and we'd see Mirotic dealt to a team that also acquired Bobby Portis. Yeah, I'm evil that way.

Overall, I'm happy the Elton Brand's deadline activity, leery of the chances of being able to re-sign both Jimmy Butler and Harris, but also interested in the team adding bench talent. Also, the trade that brought Butler to the Sixers also removed some of the quirkiness and "fun" (for lack of a better word) the oddball collection of process survivors had last season. I think they got a little of that back. I know I'll be glued to my computer for the game tomorrow, that's for sure.

Does Bret Brown really plan to play T.J. McConnell 20+ minutes a game? I mean, there are no guards left...

...none.

Hmn.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 02-07-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

15. Likes:

M2 (02-07-2019),Revering4Blue (02-07-2019)

Kanter released by the Knicks...he can play a bit but has the knucklehead factor going for him.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Landry Shamet is vastly overrated on this board. Shake Milton is an improved version of Shamet.

In 145 minutes of playing time this season, Swanigan has yet to block a single shot. That is hard to believe. I liked him in college, and thought he would be a rotation player. My bad.
    Meyers Leonard was the first big, since they have been keeping records on blocks, to go an entire season without a block last year (based on 500 minutes, or something like that).

Swanigan is actually a very good shot-blocker. Check out his pers in College. Besides those, he's transfered those skills to the next level. They were on display in both Summer Leagues. The minutes he's had this year have been all garbage time. Opponents were jacking up shots from the outside most of the time. He has more upside than Skal, thus the trade by SAC, but Portland needs help now and Swanigan wasn't going to provide that.

One thing that stands out about Swanigan...he's the strongest player in the NBA and he is coordinated with a smooth stroke. He's just raw. Someone barely bumps into him and they go flying, regardless of their size. He's teachable and Joerger will live having him.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-07-2019 at 08:28 PM.

19. Likes:

texasdave (02-07-2019)

Turn Off Ads?