Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2019

Re: College Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why not both?

People said the same thing about UM when they lost to App St years ago. Sure, it was mostly UM being a dumpster fire, but it was also because App St was a damned good football program.
    And actually, Michigan won 8 straight games that year after starting out with losses to App State and Oregon, finishing 9-4 with a bowl win over Florida.

There’s some good football being played at the FCS level. Of course, I’m biased being a JMU grad who’s married to an App State grad.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Likes:

Chip R (09-03-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Why not both?

People said the same thing about UM when they lost to App St years ago. Sure, it was mostly UM being a dumpster fire, but it was also because App St was a damned good football program.
    Georgia State won two games last year and are projected to finish last in their division in the Sun Belt. App State, they ain’t.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 09-01-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

5. Likes:

Boston Red (09-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Georgia State won two games last year and are projected to finish last in their division in the Sun Belt. App State, they ain’t.
    Yeah, I was going to edit my post to add that although Georgia State has been FBS for about 5 years, they were a 2-10 team playing in the Sun Belt last year, so this is a pretty big gut punch for Vols fans.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Teams don’t improve year over year? TIL.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Why not both?

We shall see. But I'm pretty sure it ain't both.

It's also a silly comparison, because Michigan wasn't already in the midst of years long struggles, and App State was one of the premier I-AA programs at the time.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 09-01-2019 at 03:33 PM.

I want to be clear that I think Tennessee is garbage. I just like to give some credit to the underdog that won in situations like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    We shall see. But I'm pretty sure it ain't both.

It's also a silly comparison, because Michigan wasn't already in the midst of years long struggles, and App State was one of the premier I-AA programs at the time.
    That game was pretty much the turning point for Michigan football being irrelevant. Lloyd Carr was forced to retire and two coaching blunders later, the Prodigal Son returns and even he can’t get them back in the Playoff.

And I’m the furthest thing from a Buckeye fan.

Tennessee has been trending downhill for some time now. A lot of it is an internal power struggle that has seeped onto the football field.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Is it too early to call Jalen Hurts a Heisman contender?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It’s too early to call anyone a Heisman contender, but QB1 at Oklahoma always has a pretty good shot.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-03-2019)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

maybe, but I think I can easily list 6 of the 10ish guys that will be "in the race" this season.

- Travis Etienne
    - Trevor Lawrence
    - Tua Tagovailoa
    - Jalen Hurts
    - Jonathan Taylor
    - Justin Herbert

Heisman candidates live and die off of season narratives. Jalen has the narrative, but I have doubts about him remaining healthy. I keep hearing how Hurts is bigger than Murray and he can take a hit....but that is the problem in that Jalen does take hits, way too many hits. Sure, Murray ran the ball and was effective, but nobody ever got a clean shot on Murray.

Tennessee has been trending downhill for some time now.
    Tennessee should be viewed as a cautionary tale to programs around the country of why it is important to bat near 1.000 when hiring a head coach, and why it is rarely too early to pull the plug when it appears the wrong person is leading. If Tennessee football can fall this far, then 95% of the programs in the country could just as easily fall this far if they make similar mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Tennessee should be viewed as a cautionary tale to programs around the country of why it is important to bat near 1.000 when hiring a head coach, and why it is rarely too early to pull the plug when it appears the wrong person is leading. If Tennessee football can fall this far, then 95% of the programs in the country could just as easily fall this far if they make similar mistakes.
    Let’s not forget Alabama lost to Northern Illinois not too long ago. All it takes is he right coach to turn major programs around.

Let’s not forget Alabama lost to Northern Illinois not too long ago. All it takes is he right coach to turn major programs around.
    and money/support. I know Tennessee will get back to being a high level program....just too much tradition and passion for the program to not return to relevancy. Still even a program like Tennessee will take a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    and money/support. I know Tennessee will get back to being a high level program....just too much tradition and passion for the program to not return to relevancy. Still even a program like Tennessee will take a little time.
    It may not happen. Tenn is not a rich state for recruiting, they need to pull from outside of the state to get a lot of their talent. They need the right coach along with the right administration to rebuild that program. They keep missing on hires and its been two decades since they were a national contender.

Turn Off Ads?