Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2019

Re: College Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    George O’Leary literally lied about playing college football on his resume.

That’s a tad different.
    and also listed a fictitious Masters Degree. O'Leary's legacy will always be complicated....very high highs, and very low lows. He was the DC when Georgia Tech won the National Championship in 1990. Came back to GT in 94 as the head coach and rebuilt the program into a winning program which led to the Notre Dame job. After he left GT, investigations uncovered he was in violation of many NCAA rules during his entire tenure. Finally lands at little known school in Orlando that had just turned Division 1 a few years prior to his arrival and was in the middle of the nations longest losing streak. He rebuilds the program, gains membership into CUSA (then later the American) and takes them to their first bowl game. He got a new stadium built and put UCF on the map early as a "giant killer" or at least threat as they beat a few BCS schools and came o so close to beating Texas. He led them to their first BSC bowl win. After several years of success, he seemed to really lose control of program and went winless his final year. Scott Frost came in and got it back on track.....but the point is while many give Frost much credit for where UCF has climbed to today.....Frost was only there 2 years. It was the 11 years of O'Leary that is more responsible for UCF's climb to national relevancy.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-06-2019),Revering4Blue (09-06-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This Ohio State vs. Cincinnati game tomorrow should be fun. UC is definitely good enough to make it interesting.
    I would take Cincinnati and the 16 points. I personally do not think Cincy has the level of depth needed to beat Ohio State, but I do think the Bearcats will enter that stadium believing they can win this year. If Ohio State allows them to remain in the game into the 2nd half, it could get dicey.

sneaky interesting game on tonight.....Marshall goes to Boise to play on the blue turf. I would take Marshall and the 13 points. Think it could be a trap game for Boise State coming off a big win @ FSU

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    in the top half of the SEC East (with Georgia, Florida, etc.) is where they should be as a program.....maybe win the SEC East 1 - 3 times a decade....maybe even with the SEC 1 time every 10-12 years on average.
    And that is what I expect from them.

Could be a trap for Boise. Could also be that Boise is not that good. While Boise winning in Tallahassee is always going to be a nice win, the Noles are pretty bad.

I really like that Boise QB, though.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

and also listed a fictitious Masters Degree. O'Leary's legacy will always be complicated....very high highs, and very low lows. He was the DC when Georgia Tech won the National Championship in 1990. Came back to GT in 94 as the head coach and rebuilt the program into a winning program which led to the Notre Dame job. After he left GT, investigations uncovered he was in violation of many NCAA rules during his entire tenure. Finally lands at little known school in Orlando that had just turned Division 1 a few years prior to his arrival and was in the middle of the nations longest losing streak. He rebuilds the program, gains membership into CUSA (then later the American) and takes them to their first bowl game. He got a new stadium built and put UCF on the map early as a "giant killer" or at least threat as they beat a few BCS schools and came o so close to beating Texas. He led them to their first BSC bowl win. After several years of success, he seemed to really lose control of program and went winless his final year. Scott Frost came in and got it back on track.....but the point is while many give Frost much credit for where UCF has climbed to today.....Frost was only there 2 years. It was the 11 years of O'Leary that is more responsible for UCF's climb to national relevancy.
    Beat me to it...great synoposis.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Tennessee has some stuff going for them for sure, but I would argue they have more going against them.

Actually, I think the pressure the fans put on the players at Tennessee is pretty significant. I also think the Phillip Fulmer faction is doing the program no favors. Add to that, the entire Schiano debacle really paints Tennessee in a bad light. Who knows if Schiano would have been successful, but a fan revolt led by the likes of Fulmer and Clay Travis led to the university rescinding the job offer. That isn't how big time universities handle things.
    I think the fans revolt against Schiano was one of the best things a fan base has ever done to impact a program. The problem there was the UT administration for ever hiring him to begin with.

The biggest thing Tenn has going against them is the competition for recruits in the SEC, namely Ga, FL, Alabama, Auburn and LSU. I'll also add that Dabo Sweeney has nabbed recruits that in Phil Fulmer's time, Tenn would have snatched...but all that is no excuse for why the Vols can't at least beat UK and Vanderbilt every yr.

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-08-2019),Revering4Blue (09-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Was that George O'Leary? Was it done because of a mob led by the former head coach and a radio shock jock?

Tennessee views themselves as this blue blood program that has fallen on hard times but will rise back up. IMO they are more like Illinois (look at their history) than they are like USC, Florida, or FSU.
    When was the last time Illinois won a national championship in football? I'll give you a clue. Very few Americans even owned tv sets that yr.

All time record in football Illinois: 607-593 .506

Tennessee: 814-373 .680

I'm not even going to waste my time giving you more examples. You lost your college football man card for that comment

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the fans revolt against Schiano was one of the best things a fan base has ever done to impact a program. The problem there was the UT administration for ever hiring him to begin with.

The biggest thing Tenn has going against them is the competition for recruits in the SEC, namely Ga, FL, Alabama, Auburn and LSU. I'll also add that Dabo Sweeney has nabbed recruits that in Phil Fulmer's time, Tenn would have snatched...but all that is no excuse for why the Vols can't at least beat UK and Vanderbilt every yr.
    I wouldn’t even include Alabama on that list. They recruit nationally, where the rest of the schools stay within the SEC pipeline.

It’s also very possible to field competitive teams from the SEC states, especially Georgia and Florida, although there is significantly more competition down there.

Tennessee has whiffed on major coaching hires and Pruitt was a horrible reach after they ousted Currie. Lane Kiffin was about as bad a cultural fit in Knoxville as Billy Gillispie at Kentucky. Derek Dooley was an under the radar hire that never should have been made. Butch Jones was the best of the bunch and the best you can say is his teams were Champions of Life.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

When was the last time Illinois won a national championship in football? I'll give you a clue. Very few Americans even owned tv sets that yr.

All time record in football Illinois: 607-593 .506

Tennessee: 814-373 .680

I'm not even going to waste my time giving you more examples. You lost your college football man card for that comment
    Illinois is at a major disadvantage vis a vis schools like Tennessee: Their players have to attend class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Illinois is at a major disadvantage vis a vis schools like Tennessee: Their players have to attend class.
    Peyton went to class. So did Michael Munoz

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Probably not. Which makes their ineptitude even worse.

I very much disagree. It is never a good thing when a person, group or entire fan base try to destroy a man using completely unverified statements claimed by a single 3rd party with credibility issues. Let's be honest....the fan base had became delusional in thinking they were the level of program that a Jon Gruden would consider, then reality smacked them in the face when nearly everyone including Jon Gruden's lawn guy turned down the job, the fan base threw a tantrum.

So you chose an unproven coordinator whose demand was lukewarm at best over a proven head coach that won at a place literally nobody has been able to win at in recent history. So how is that working out for you? Last year you beat 2 P5 schools, 2 G5 schools (including the worst D1 program in the country in UTEP) and an FCS school....and then this year you lost to a Sun Belt school @ home. My money is on Schiano would have did better to this point. In the end, I wish you well....have no feelings about Tennessee or Pruitt.....but what that fanbase did was repulsive and you should own that.

19. Likes:

jimbo (09-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Probably not. Which makes their ineptitude even worse.
    Illinois has always been tough to understand.....their basketball and football should be better. It has to be a lack of commitment / funding from the university.

I very much disagree. It is never a good thing when a person, group or entire fan base try to destroy a man using completely unverified statements claimed by a single 3rd party with credibility issues. Let's be honest....the fan base had became delusional in thinking they were the level of program that a Jon Gruden would consider, then reality smacked them in the face when nearly everyone including Jon Gruden's lawn guy turned down the job, the fan base threw a tantrum.

So you chose an unproven coordinator whose demand was lukewarm at best over a proven head coach that won at a place literally nobody has been able to win at in recent history. So how is that working out for you? Last year you beat 2 P5 schools, 2 G5 schools (including the worst D1 program in the country in UTEP) and an FCS school....and then this year you lost to a Sun Belt school @ home. My money is on Schiano would have did better to this point. In the end, I wish you well....have no feelings about Tennessee or Pruitt.....but what that fanbase did was repulsive and you should own that.
    We definitely disagree on this and I'll also opine that if he was hired to replace Urban Meyer the response in Columbus would have been the same as in Knoxville. It's too early to judge how this hire is working out for us, especially after last week. But the success/failure of Pruitt has nothing to do with Schiano. It was the right move to block him. If the next coach is a disaster then that's on the UT higher ups, not the fans.

Turn Off Ads?