Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2019

Re: College Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's interesting that all the one loss teams have kinda bad losses. Oklahoma at K-State (not horrible, but K-State is pretty pedestrian). UGA at USC. Utah at USC. Baylor vs. Oklahoma (obviously not a bad loss in a vacuum, but the fact that they led 28-3...).
    The only bad loss is South Carolina and even that was in OT. The rest are to decent to good teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    While I agree, one case against Utah -- and it's a major one -- even though the loss to USC was on the road, the Trojans were down to their 3rd string QB.
    Fink has a good amount of experience though. That game had more to do with Pittman being incredible than anything else.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The only bad loss is South Carolina and even that was in OT. The rest are to decent to good teams.
    I think all of those are pretty bad losses for teams that want to be in the playoff hunt. You'd expect the one loss teams to have lost to other teams in the playoff hunt, or at least top 15-20 teams. That's only true of Baylor, and as mentioned the thing that made the Baylor loss bad was the 25 point lead blown.

Did BYU have the weirdest season of any team in college football this year? They are Boise's only loss and will keep them out of the Cotton Bowl. They won at UT (a team that ended up 5-3 in the SEC). They beat a USC team that ended up 7-2 in the Pac-12. Yet they lost to Toledo, South Florida and San Diego State.

Sometimes this sport is wild!

5. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (12-02-2019)

I think all of those are pretty bad losses for teams that want to be in the playoff hunt. You'd expect the one loss teams to have lost to other teams in the playoff hunt, or at least top 15-20 teams. That's only true of Baylor, and as mentioned the thing that made the Baylor loss bad was the 25 point lead blown.
    This has been a weird year with 3 teams being undefeated at the end of the regular season. Losses like those are fairly common for contending teams.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This probably belongs in the Ohio State thread but anywho:

Is there a 4 seed (assuming the Buckeyes are 1) that could give Ohio State problems?

Utah, Oklahoma, Georgia, who would you want to play the least and why?
    I don’t envision OSU having a problem with any of them, but I guess maybe Utah because they are good on defense, have a dual threat QB and are well coached.

I just hope Baylor knocks Oklahoma out of it, because the last thing I want to see is Oklahoma getting smashed in a playoff game...A-GAIN. Better to let some new blood get spilled by Ohio State.
    if LSU wins the SEC Championship, I expect Ohio State to be playing Clemson in the 1st round.

I think Kansas State was a fairly bad loss....not as bad as South Carolina, but not acceptable. We (WVU) went to Manhattan Kansas and beat Kansas State, and this was one of the weakest WVU teams in decades.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t envision OSU having a problem with any of them, but I guess maybe Utah because they are good on defense, have a dual threat QB and are well coached.
    I do not think they could match up to the speed and depth of Ohio State, Clemson or LSU. I do not think Oklahoma could beat any of those 3 teams either, but at least they field more similar level of athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    if LSU wins the SEC Championship, I expect Ohio State to be playing Clemson in the 1st round.
    It would have to be a 4 TD blowout for LSU plus a tight win for OSU. Not impossible, but not likely.

It would have to be a 4 TD blowout for LSU plus a tight win for OSU. Not impossible, but not likely.
    This should be the case, but I have a feeling it won't. I agree that if LSU wins close and OSU wins big, OSU will get the nod. But if LSU wins convincingly, I'd bet about anything they'd get it regardless of what OSU does.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. The rankings matter, the stars matter, compiling top rated classes matter. Its not just the top player, but the depth of the recruiting rankings. Harbaugh has nabbed some talented recruits, but they don't have the depth, nor have they really succeeded at developing players at a high level.

I think Day would have been successful with Shea, Harbaugh just hasn't been willing to fully embrace Patterson's skill set. With QB's, its always been how does the coaching staff put the QB in a position to succeed. How do they adapt to his talents as opposed to what they usually do. Day has changed his offense from Barrett to Haskins now to Fields. It took a lot for Harbaugh to bring in anyone different to call plays, and he still wouldn't really cut it loose.

Michigan is slowly becoming Wisconsin. They are good enough to win 9-10 games a year, but just don't have the talent to compete on a level playing field with OSU. In the past 5 years, it has been OSU and then PSU who is next in line with recruiting rankings. One thing that shocked me was that Harbaugh pretty much gave up on recruiting the state of Ohio. They used to come in and poach some great talent, they just aren't doing so anymore.
    As I was saying, it’s coaching, not recruiting:

Ohio State 2016-19
    4/5-star recruits (69)
    1st/2nd-round draft picks (18)

Michigan 2016-19
    4/5-star recruits (71)
    1st/2nd-round draft picks (4)

Michigan's problem isn't recruiting. Player development is.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That tweet sucks, it's not the same players being recruited and drafted...

I saw that on twitter and it has been corrected in the twitter stream below. I can't find the original tweet to bring up the info though.

In 2016 OSU was 4th, UM 8th
    In 2017 OSU was 2nd UM 5th
    In 2018 OSU was 2nd (Fields would have made it #1) UM was 22nd
    In 2019 OSU was 14th UM was 8th (OSU's had a small class but its average put it in the top 5.)

The 247 talent index puts OSU at 2nd nationally while Michigan is 11th.

So it absolutely is recruiting, Michigan hasn't recruited at OSU's level since Harbaugh got there and the gap seems to keep growing looking into the future.

You can make an argument that OSU has done a better job of developing talent, but that isn't the whole story.
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 12-03-2019 at 10:42 AM.

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    That tweet sucks, it's not the same players being recruited and drafted...
    The fact of the matter is UM is recruiting elite talent and they aren’t becoming elite players. OSU is recruiting elite talent and making them elite players.

It’s coaching coaching coaching.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The fact of the matter is UM is recruiting elite talent and they aren’t becoming elite players. OSU is recruiting elite talent and making them elite players.

It’s coaching coaching coaching.
    There is no way Shea Patterson can be coached to do the things Justin Fields does. He just doesn't have the physical skills

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This should be the case, but I have a feeling it won't. I agree that if LSU wins close and OSU wins big, OSU will get the nod. But if LSU wins convincingly, I'd bet about anything they'd get it regardless of what OSU does.
    Then I'm not sure why they put OSU back at 1 after the Penn State win. I think the committee just likes OSU more than LSU and it's going to take something to change that.

19. Likes:

jimbo (12-03-2019)

Turn Off Ads?