Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Alliance of American Football

Re: Alliance of American Football

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Isn't he the sole owner too?
    He (and his family) are majority owners. They've been publically traded company since 1999 I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I forget where I read it, but there was an article saying that one reason the NFL can't really have a developmental league like that is the judgement against it in the USFL case. Even though that judgement amounted to so little at the time.
    Basically, if the NFL were to put a thumb on the scales for a league(say the AAF or hypothetical NextFL) and a rival league like the XFL were to sue, they'd be on the hook for big time damages. Essentially would amount to defying the previous judgement.

Take this with a huge grain of salt as it's a non lawyerly foggy recap of something that may or may not have been accurate to begin with.
    Nobody remembers NFL Europe? That was the development league that the NFL eventually folded.

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-03-2019),Sea Ray (04-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Nobody remembers NFL Europe? That was the development league that the NFL eventually folded.
    I do. I watched it some. Troy Aikman cut his announcing teeth doing the games on TV for that league.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    He (and his family) are majority owners. They've been publically traded company since 1999 I think.
    Yea it has a 6.82B market cap. I couldn't find who are the primary owners, but I imagine the McMahon family owns quite a bit of the stock. Its a money making machine the way it is now, I have no idea why he wants to have another go at a football league.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea it has a 6.82B market cap. I couldn't find who are the primary owners, but I imagine the McMahon family owns quite a bit of the stock. Its a money making machine the way it is now, I have no idea why he wants to have another go at a football league.
    Ego, one thing I will give him credit for... This version of the XFL will have a MUCH better leadership at the top with some of the people he's hired (like Oliver Luck). I actually need to look up and see if they're still taking corporate resumes for the franchises.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/04/did-t...-gambling-app/

Dundon is a smart guy you don't make billions by not taking risks...seems like he is betting big on a new gambling app.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    https://sportsnaut.com/2019/04/did-t...-gambling-app/

Dundon is a smart guy you don't make billions by not taking risks...seems like he is betting big on a new gambling app.
    I see what you did there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Ego, one thing I will give him credit for... This version of the XFL will have a MUCH better leadership at the top with some of the people he's hired (like Oliver Luck). I actually need to look up and see if they're still taking corporate resumes for the franchises.
    Isn't going to matter. I thought the AAF had a chance with Bill Polian, who has more insight with professional football than Oliver Luck.

I don't think any league will last without the support of the NFL. Its pretty apparent that the NFL has no business giving its backing to any minor league football organization.

11. Likes:

Chip R (04-03-2019)

Bill Polian sounds like he's mighty ticked that this league quit this year. I don't think he was on board with that

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Isn't going to matter. I thought the AAF had a chance with Bill Polian, who has more insight with professional football than Oliver Luck.

I don't think any league will last without the support of the NFL. Its pretty apparent that the NFL has no business giving its backing to any minor league football organization.
    I heard a story that the McMahon's are starting with 272 million in the bank to prevent a midseason meltdown from occurring.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Bill Polian sounds like he's mighty ticked that this league quit this year. I don't think he was on board with that
    Then he probably wasn't one of the people losing their shirts on the AAF.

I heard a story that the McMahon's are starting with 272 million in the bank to prevent a midseason meltdown from occurring.
    This league had a $250mill sugar daddy

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/a...al-difficulty/

The issue isn't how much $$ goes into it. It's how much $$ is generated. I don't give the XFL much chance either

So this league shut down after 8 games. How long was the season supposed to be?

Alliance of American Football

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So this league shut down after 8 games. How long was the season supposed to be?
    Two more weeks then playoffs.

The stories coming out now are pretty depressing.

https://deadspin.com/the-aafs-sudden...ith-1833813021
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

That does sound ugly. I don't get why the players would be responsible for their rooms. That should be between the hotel and the ones who booked it (the teams). If I'm on a business trip, I'm not giving the hotel my credit card

Turn Off Ads?