Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cincinnati Reds front office expects to maintain payroll level for 2020 season

Cincinnati Reds front office expects to maintain payroll level for 2020 season

As the Cincinnati Reds attempted to move from the rebuilding stages to their competitive window during the past offseason, they acquired several players who were within a year of free agency.

It improved the club during the 2019 season and they kept their financial flexibility for future years. The Reds entered Opening Day with a franchise-record $133 million payroll and they expect to at least maintain that payroll level next year.

“We very much think we’re entering a window where we want to win,” Reds President of Baseball Operations Dick Williams said last week. “Our indications are very good that this payroll will stay at a level that will very much allow us to put a good product on the field.”
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...nl/1527872001/
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-22-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Reds front office expects to maintain payroll level for 2020 season

How much money drops off the payroll this year? Shouldn't there be 20 million or so in this kemp,wood, puig, Bailey mess?

Re: Cincinnati Reds front office expects to maintain payroll level for 2020 season

If they kept the team intact the net effect of losing Kemp, would just about be 14 million which between scheduled raises and arbitration, means no real expensive additions.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    How much money drops off the payroll this year? Shouldn't there be 20 million or so in this kemp,wood, puig, Bailey mess?
    MLB Trade Rumors says the Reds will have about $57 million committed for 2020. Payroll this year is $133 million, so that's nearly $75 million at their potential disposal.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Assuming no trades and the typical arbitration increases, they should have somewhere around $60 million to spend on six free agent spots-- a SP, a 2B and/or an OF, and three relief arms. Probably a SS as well.

The 2020 roster, without free agents:
    C Barnhart
    1B Votto
    2B Dietrich
    SS Peraza
    3B Suarez
    LF Winker
    CF Senzel
    RF Ervin

Starting Rotation
    Castillo
    Gray
    Mahle
    DeSclafani
    Sims

Relievers
    Iglesias
    Garrett
    Lorenzen
    Stephenson
    Bowman
    Peralta
    Reed

Bench
    Casali
    VanMeter
    Blandino
    Farmer
    Schebler

Should be an interesting off-season for Williams and company. I could see them going after a big name in the OF and at SP while skimping a bit on relievers and still having enough cash to chase arb guys who get axed as bench ballast.

8. Likes:

Mitri (06-22-2019)

Add probably 15-20 for arbitration players, and we should have around 60 million to spend.

edit; BZ beat me to it

To me the go big move is Gerritt Cole. If you pencil him in the #2 spot we're looking at our front end starters matching up with just about anybody. I'm leaning more towards bringing Puig back on the right contract. I think a RF with plus power and plus defense is harder to find than an offense first middling defensive 2B(sorry Scooter). I'd definitely bring Iglesias back. Roark or Wheeler wouldn't be a bad option if we can't land Cole. Wheeler is having a down year ERA wise, but still has a sub 4 FIP.
    Last edited by JCM11; 06-22-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Players that need to be gone:

Barnhart
    Peraza
    Ervin
    Peralta
    Schebler

They should be able to improve on those 5 with 60 million dollars.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Roark and Wood on the rotation, Hughes(if they don't exercise his option), Hernandez, Duke in the pen, Gennett, Iglesias and Puig from the position players. The Reds have about 60 million, as BZ notes, with these guys unsigned.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Dietrich could get $10 million or so in arbitration, no?

Purely hypothetical 2020 free agent signings:

OF Adam Eaton (assuming WAS buys him out) $14M
    SP Alex Wood $15M
    SS Elvis Andrus $16M
    RP Collin McHugh $8M

That leaves $7 million for arbitration guys axed by other teams, a la Dietrich and Iglesias, and at least one long relief guy.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Purely hypothetical 2020 free agent signings:

OF Adam Eaton (assuming WAS buys him out) $14M
    SP Alex Wood $15M
    SS Elvis Andrus $16M
    RP Collin McHugh $8M

That leaves $7 million for arbitration guys axed by other teams, a la Dietrich and Iglesias, and at least one long relief guy.
    I’d aim a little higher. Cole for probably like 25 million a year. Sign Didi for 15-20 million a year. If they have 60 million to spend, that still leaves 15 million for bench guys, relievers, whoever else they need etc

15. Likes:

Benihana (06-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Dietrich could get $10 million or so in arbitration, no?
    Probably around 6.5M$.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’d aim a little higher. Cole for probably like 25 million a year. Sign Didi for 15-20 million a year. If they have 60 million to spend, that still leaves 15 million for bench guys, relievers, whoever else they need etc
    If they can get those two guys for that amount, I'd be all for it.

I assumed Cole would make $32 - $35 million and Gregorius somewhere around $20 million.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If they can get those two guys for that amount, I'd be all for it.

I assumed Cole would make $32 - $35 million and Gregorius somewhere around $20 million.
    Somehow forgot pitcher AAVs we’re getting into the 30 millions, so yeah it’ll probably be more like that. In that case, I might be willing to sign Cole, stick with either Iglesias or Peraza at short, and use the rest of the money to fill the remaining holes on the team.

Turn Off Ads?