Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Derek Dietrich

Re: Reds Sign Derek Dietrich

With a good Spring by Derek, I am willing to bet, Joe goes back to LA. I'd rather Van Meter have Joe's spot anyways.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Looking at his defensive stats he looks like a serviceable corner IF who's pretty bad every where else. Barring injury I doubt he'll get much corner IF time with the Reds. The bat looks good, but I'm just wondering where he's supposed to play. We still don't have a viable SS option behind Peraza.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    We still don't have a viable SS option behind Peraza.
    Senzel will play SS, and Schebler will play CF when Peraza needs a breather.

If Peraza gets hurt, Williams will either sign a guy or plug in Trahan or Rodriguez and hope he finds a way to get a couple hits.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-18-2019)

Suarez has to be a better option at shortstop than Senzel. Peraza will probably play 155 games at short if he doesn’t get hurt. Suarez can obviously handle seven games there since he used to be a shortstop at the major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

If Peraza gets hurt, Williams will either sign a guy or plug in Trahan or Rodriguez and hope he finds a way to get a couple hits.
    I really don't see Senzel playing any SS. Its going to take all of his focus and time to get ready to play CF. If he has to play IF in a spot start it'll be a position he's familiar with.

Blandino is the backup shortstop once declared healthy. Trahan or a depth veteran could be a stop gap. I don’t see Senzel at shortstop except in an emergency.

The Reds obviously have more moves to make. They are way overstocked at corner OF, especially if you include DD as available there.

If one assumes DD makes the team (as I do), the bench is now Blandino, Farmer, Kemp, Schebler, DD, Casali. Plus the Rule five guy potentially. More moves to be made.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-18-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Looking at his defensive stats he looks like a serviceable corner IF who's pretty bad every where else. Barring injury I doubt he'll get much corner IF time with the Reds. The bat looks good, but I'm just wondering where he's supposed to play. We still don't have a viable SS option behind Peraza.
    I agree with much of this.

The other thing is we could use bench players that can actually be good defenders because our starters are not good defensively.

He looks more like AAA depth in case of injury. If he was able to play SS I could see him making the team but he does not.

Our Bench (Assuming Senzel to AAA)
    Casali
    Kemp/Winker/Schebler (odd man out from starting)
    back up infielder that plays SS (Blandino)
    back up Of that plays CF

Edit since we are going with 13 pitchers only 4 bench spots

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    interesting stat: tied for mlb lead in hit-by-pitch last season (21). tied for second in mlb same category in 2016 with 24.
    Clint Hurdle loves this move
    Hope isn't a strategy

11. Likes:

JCM11 (02-18-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’d say there’s probably no chance Senzel plays SS, especially if he’s the starting CF.

david bell (who is refreshingly honest) has already said he will likely carry 13 pitchers. that leaves just four spots for bench players.

1. dietrich (2b/3b/of)
    2. casali (c) ... but he's coming off hip/labrum surgery and might not be ready to start the season. so, connor joe or kyle farmer could make the team to begin the season. joe and farmer can also play both corner infield spots
    3. schebler (after senzel is called up 3 weeks into the season or so -- until then ervin might be on the 25-man roster and schebler will likely be starting in cf)
    4. whoever is sitting that day between kemp/winker

in this scenario, the reds would not have a true backup ss. moving suarez there in an emergency is an option, but david bell has already said they prefer to keep him strictly at 3b if possible. i thought either blandino or trahan would make the 25-man roster, but now i thik dietrich will be the backup utility infielder. if the reds only keep 4 bench players as expected, i just don't see room for blandino or trahan (or colon). presuming dietrich makes the club as i expect he will.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I agree with much of this.

The other thing is we could use bench players that can actually be good defenders because our starters are not good defensively.

He looks more like AAA depth in case of injury. If he was able to play SS I could see him making the team but he does not.

Our Bench (Assuming Senzel to AAA)
    Casali
    Kemp/Winker/Schebler (odd man out from starting)
    back up infielder that plays SS (Blandino)
    back up Of that plays CF

Edit since we are going with 13 pitchers only 4 bench spots
    I don’t see DD in the minors, IMO this is similar to a major league signing. Guy had 550 PAs last year, is a solid .750 or better OPS hitter. Major league player.

Just too many guys, no real CFer, there will be re-shuffling. It’s a late off-season, more fine tuning to come.

Just me, still don’t see Matt Kemp on the team. Not a real NL bench players, no defensive versatility. Makes more sense in the AL.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-18-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Depth is a good thing to have.

Somebody on the team is going to go down at some point...probably multiple somebodies.

For once the Reds actually have a few players who can step in and not embarrass themselves when that happens. That's true of every position but CF and SS at this point.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 02-18-2019 at 12:09 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Man I hate the 13 man bullpen. We need a true backup for both SS and CF still at this point.

17. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Clint Hurdle loves this move
    ha, very true.

hit-by-pitch is a very underrated stat. everyone talks about the value of on-base percentage, but guys who have a 'knack' for getting hit don't get enough respect.

dietrich is a perfect example. he has a good career on-base percentage of .335, but he doesn't take many walks (just 29 walks in 501 at-bats last year), and he doesn't have a particularly high career batting average (.254). the reason he has such a good obp is because of his propensity to get plunked. it's a valuable skill to have.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quality move. I like.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-18-2019)

Turn Off Ads?