Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Derek Dietrich

Re: Reds Sign Derek Dietrich

Who called for this a few weeks ago, WrongVerb?

Anyhow, I'm good with the signing.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-28-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Can he our backup SS?
    Hasn't played an inning of it in the major leagues. He started out at SS, but the last time he appeared there was 2012 in High-A.

Darn.

(Oops. Just saw Barge got here first.)

5. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (02-18-2019)

It’s impossible for me to find anything about this that I don’t like. It is beyond refreshing to see a deal like this, and a minor-league deal at that.

What a difference a year can make. I have full confidence in our FO. Weird.

7. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (02-18-2019),wally post (02-18-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Why can't the Reds have a position roster filled with players who have been and can be productive starters for periods of time?

A bench of:

Schebler
    Kemp
    Farmer/Blandino/Joe
    Deitrich
    Casali

...leaves little to be desired. The only thing missing is backup shortstop. My guess is Suarez may get a few more reps there, and that Blandino and/or Farmer will be on the shuttle to Louisville.

Add to that:

Blandino
    Farmer
    VanMeter
    Trahan
    Williams
    Ervin

as quick short-term replacements during the season, and the Reds have done very, very well at shoring up the major league position roster.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Very good get on an MiLB deal. I’m assuming he has an opt out if he doesn’t make the OD roster, but I haven’t seen details reported yet.

Hot Take from MLBTr

"While Dietrich has proven himself to be a solid bat, he’s also proven to be a defensive liability."
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I wonder how much of Derek's poor defense is due to him and how much of it is due to defensive positioning. He has never been a good defender, but he was pretty terrible at every position last year.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

...leaves little to be desired. The only thing missing is backup shortstop. My guess is Suarez may get a few more reps there, and that Blandino and/or Farmer will be on the shuttle to Louisville.
    Hope one of the beat writers gets around to asking whether the Reds still see Suarez as a SS. If Dietrich makes the roster -- depending on that last spot -- it would seem Suarez is in line for taking all non-Peraza innings at SS.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Hot Take from MLBTr

"While Dietrich has proven himself to be a solid bat, he’s also proven to be a defensive liability."
    Checks out on his defensive metrics. He seems like a guy who can technically stand at multiple positions rather than being a guy who should play at them.

Still though, given how good his bat is for a bench guy, it’s sort of absurd he could only get a minor league deal.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...erek-dietrich/

Pretty good look here at Dietrich’s bat and defense from a Pirates fan talking about why they might have wanted to sign him.

That is a common theme in Dietrich’s defense. He has trouble going in on the ball. Going by Baseball Savant’s Outs Above Average (OAA), Dietrich was -8 OOA going back on the ball last season. That was the fourth worst in baseball.

There are two factors that may have made this problem even more exaggerated. The first is the size of Miami’s outfield. Marlins Park has a larger than usual left field...The other key is depth. Dietrich played shallower than most left fielders last season. Playing a fielder who has trouble going back on the ball shallow in a big park is a recipe for disaster.

Depth can make or break a fielder. Corey Dickerson isn’t great at going back on fly balls either. The Pirates compensated for that by playing him deeper than most left fielders. His Gold Glove is proof that the mindset worked. That doesn’t mean Dietrich could be a Gold Glover too, but perhaps he could be passable in the field.

Dietrich is the type of guy most teams would like to have on their roster. There’s value in a plus hitting lefty utilityman, even if it is just as a role player.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

drowg14 (02-18-2019),Edd Roush (02-18-2019)

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Hope one of the beat writers gets around to asking whether the Reds still see Suarez as a SS. If Dietrich makes the roster -- depending on that last spot -- it would seem Suarez is in line for taking all non-Peraza innings at SS.
    Bell was asked this recently and he says he sees Geno as an “option” to play SS, but that he’s already “settled in nicely” at 3B, so it would probably be the last option.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (02-18-2019)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

He can also be kept under control through 2020.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Dietrich is a solid hitter who reminds me, oddly, of Scooter Gennett.

20. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-18-2019),Old school 1983 (02-18-2019)

He still bangs

Just curious, but could this signing potentially mean they’re comfortable with Senzel in CF?

Obviously a minor league deal isn’t a huge commitment, but going out and getting a guy this solid and diverse who plays positions for which Senzel would have been the super sub says they’re at least having a serious look at Senzel playing every day. They basically just signed a pretty solid bat to do what Senzel would be doing if he weren’t in CF

22. Likes:

Kilgore_Trout (02-18-2019)

Another gift from the Marlins.

24. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (02-18-2019),OhioRiverBarge (02-18-2019)

Turn Off Ads?