Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Derek Dietrich

Re: Reds Sign Derek Dietrich

The keys to the Red's defensive improvement are Suarez and Peraza.

If they're league average or better, the D will be fine.

Not elite, but good enough to let the best hitters outslug other teams.

Williams' bet is that his team of 7 100+ wRC+ bats, the pitcher, and Barnhart have more chances to impact the game than opposing teams who play 5 - 6 100+ wRC+ sluggers and three or four fleas.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Suarez was basically league average last year, but he's had better seasons. He's a legit MVP candidate if he puts it all together. I think what we saw from Peraza last year is his ceiling defensively given his limitations.

If they're league average or better, the D will be fine.

Not elite, but good enough to let the best hitters outslug other teams.

Williams' bet is that his team of 7 100+ wRC+ bats, the pitcher, and Barnhart have more chances to impact the game than opposing teams who play 5 - 6 100+ wRC+ sluggers and three or four fleas.
    Williams’ bet was find a deal for Bailey and worry later. The current configuration was necessary to get value for Bailey. Couldn’t seek perfection, accepted the good.

For all of the “defense will be fine” folks, remember that the left fielder isn’t considered a good defender. If CF is below average too there’s a problem. So Reds should have a defensive alternative available in CF.

Potentially, Suarez really wouldn't have to play more than part of a game at SS if Peraza were to go down. They could have someone like Blandino, Trahan, Colon, etc. up from L'Ville and playing the next day.

You know the team you root for is solid when all you have to complain about are fifth outfielders, the 25th roster spot, and the bullpen's long man.

In one off-season, Williams has transformed the team.
    Are you sure about that? There's been a ton of haggling about all 3 of those one some 100 loss teams.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Free agency has completely collapsed. Dietrich is a good hitter, plays multiple positions and under 30. There isn’t a guaranteed roster spot for this guy anywhere in the league?
    I agree but is it also possible that there are too many MLB caliber players right now?

Ervin, Williams, and Blandino likely don't make the roster, but they're basically replacement level. Farmer and Joe probably don't make the roster either, now, and they'd have been shoe-ins on past teams.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

With a five-man (4-man at times) bench, there's no room for glove-first/no-hit reserves. Offensive producers only on a short bench. Make sure there's someone that can give you a game at SS and have the glove guys waiting in AAA. for insurance.

9. Likes:

drowg14 (02-18-2019),OGB (02-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    david bell (who is refreshingly honest) has already said he will likely carry 13 pitchers. that leaves just four spots for bench players.

1. dietrich (2b/3b/of)
    2. casali (c) ... but he's coming off hip/labrum surgery and might not be ready to start the season. so, connor joe or kyle farmer could make the team to begin the season. joe and farmer can also play both corner infield spots
    3. schebler (after senzel is called up 3 weeks into the season or so -- until then ervin might be on the 25-man roster and schebler will likely be starting in cf)
    4. whoever is sitting that day between kemp/winker

in this scenario, the reds would not have a true backup ss. moving suarez there in an emergency is an option, but david bell has already said they prefer to keep him strictly at 3b if possible. i thought either blandino or trahan would make the 25-man roster, but now i thik dietrich will be the backup utility infielder. if the reds only keep 4 bench players as expected, i just don't see room for blandino or trahan (or colon). presuming dietrich makes the club as i expect he will.
    Concerning point number 2, if Casali isn't ready, Farmer makes the team, not Joe.
    Farmer has caught almost 3000 innings in his career. Joe has caught zero.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    It's what happens when you give an honest assessment of the current roster. The Reds were 24th in MLB in defensive efficiency last year. The same IF is coming back, and the OF defense will likely be worse without Hamilton. It's a legitimate concern to have IMO.
    The 2013 Reds had a Choo/Bruce/Heisey/Ludwick outfield and won 90 games and finished 3 games below their Pythag.
    Defense is overrated if your offense and pitching are good.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Williams’ bet was find a deal for Bailey and worry later. The current configuration was necessary to get value for Bailey. Couldn’t seek perfection, accepted the good.

For all of the “defense will be fine” folks, remember that the left fielder isn’t considered a good defender. If CF is below average too there’s a problem. So Reds should have a defensive alternative available in CF.
    We disagree on both of these fronts.

1. The Bailey deal was far more than good and fixed a whole lot that was wrong. It gave the Reds their best OF, bench bat, starter, and a fourth piece. By itself, that deal solidified four spots.

That's not "good" value. It's incredible value.

2. The defensive problems aren't convincing, especially considering we're talking about two or three outs over the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    It's what happens when you give an honest assessment of the current roster. The Reds were 24th in MLB in defensive efficiency last year. The same IF is coming back, and the OF defense will likely be worse without Hamilton. It's a legitimate concern to have IMO.
    The pitching staff alone will probably improve that number quite a bit. Easier to convert a batter ball to an out when your pitchers aren't giving up as much hard contact.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

14. Likes:

OGB (02-18-2019)

We disagree on both of these fronts.

1. The Bailey deal was far more than good and fixed a whole lot that was wrong. It gave the Reds their best OF, bench bat, starter, and a fourth piece. By itself, that deal solidified four spots.

That's not "good" value. It's incredible value.

2. The defensive problems aren't convincing, especially considering we're talking about two or three outs over the entire season.
    It was excellent value for Bailey but not a great fit for the Reds. Kemp is not a good fit for the Reds. Not with a four man bench.

The Reds had to accept it, but it doesn’t quite fit.

As for your defensive point, the Reds run prevention will suffer materially if the OF combo doesn’t work.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-18-2019 at 03:36 PM.

16. Likes:

757690 (02-18-2019),Kinsm (02-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    The 2013 Reds had a Choo/Bruce/Heisey/Ludwick outfield and won 90 games and finished 3 games below their Pythag.
    Defense is overrated if your offense and pitching are good.
    In 2013, the Reds were the 4th best defensive team according to UZR. The outfield was 13 best.

Last year the Reds were 20th best defensive team, and the outfield was 19th best... with Hamilton.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It was great value for Bailey but not a perfect fit for the Reds.

Kemp is not a good fit for the Reds. Not with a four man bench.

The Reds has to accept it, obviously, but it doesn’t quite fit.

As for your defensive point, the Reds run prevention will suffer materially if the OF combo doesn’t work.
    Kemp is a phenomenal fit for the Reds.

He murders southpaws. Winker does not.

He is the only power RH bat off the bench. Good teams tend to have those guys.

He is expensive. His defense is poor, even for a LF.

If he plays to the back of his baseball card, that's going to matter less than his big bat.

Put another way, Kemp > Adam Duvall + Phil Ervin

19. Likes:

919191 (02-19-2019),Falls City Beer (02-18-2019),herbdizzle (02-18-2019),Mr Larkin (02-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In 2013, the Reds were the 4th best defensive team according to UZR. The outfield was 13 best.

Last year the Reds were 20th best defensive team, and the outfield was 19th best... with Hamilton.
    Sure. That might point to the imperfection of defensive statistics.
    It was still an outfield that started Choo in CF. I hate to resort to being an eye test guy, but watching him in CF was some of the worst defense I've seen at the position.
    I don't see anyone the Reds run out there this year being worse.
    But the Reds could pitch and mash that year.

I'm with Bourgeois Zee, if the improve the defense argument is to run some glove first no bat guy out there, I'm saying a big "no thank you."
    If the alternative is to trade for a guy you're living in a fantasy land. There were 11 Center fielder's in baseball last year who OPSd over .732 and they weren't all staunch defenders.
    -RichRed

21. Likes:

Mr Larkin (02-18-2019),Tuff Nut (02-19-2019)

Turn Off Ads?