Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Archie's days in Bloomington are limited...
    Last night was the first time I've felt that way, but the last 2 games have been so bad that it's hard to see him back unless there's a miraculous turnaround

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Last night was the first time I've felt that way, but the last 2 games have been so bad that it's hard to see him back unless there's a miraculous turnaround

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, theoretically there is still time. But it is a TALL order.

Well, theoretically there is still time. But it is a TALL order.
    Oh for sure. At this point you can't expect it. IU has been a bit up and down all year, but the last two games is the most down they've been. I felt like they were close all season, but not anymore. Phinisee has never been worse. The buyout is huge, but it's hard to see IU bringing him back if they lose these next three games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Oh for sure. At this point you can't expect it. IU has been a bit up and down all year, but the last two games is the most down they've been. I felt like they were close all season, but not anymore. Phinisee has never been worse. The buyout is huge, but it's hard to see IU bringing him back if they lose these next three games.
    I have no idea what direction they are gonna go. That is coaching wise and personnel wise.

I have no idea what direction they are gonna go. That is coaching wise and personnel wise.
    recently heard someone on Sirius ESPNU suggest that Indiana is currently to college basketball what Texas is to college football. It made some sense...historical excellence that always places them in the conversation of elite/powerhouse programs while caught in a current cycle of the annual belief the program "is back" only to finish the season below expectations. After a couple seasons, hire a new big name coach, rinse and repeat.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    recently heard someone on Sirius ESPNU suggest that Indiana is currently to college basketball what Texas is to college football. It made some sense...historical excellence that always places them in the conversation of elite/powerhouse programs while caught in a current cycle of the annual belief the program "is back" only to finish the season below expectations. After a couple seasons, hire a new big name coach, rinse and repeat.
    I would agree with that analogy.

Not sure why it didn't work, but the Archie experiment is going to end this April or April of '22. The one thing Crean could get (perimeter shooters/guard play) is Archie's Achilles heel. Not sure who is next for the Hoosiers, but as someone who has followed this team since I was a Freshman in 1982, I've never been more disinterested.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Not sure why it didn't work, but the Archie experiment is going to end this April or April of '22. The one thing Crean could get (perimeter shooters/guard play) is Archie's Achilles heel. Not sure who is next for the Hoosiers, but as someone who has followed this team since I was a Freshman in 1982, I've never been more disinterested.
    It is like a bad dream...

Reading chatter online about a potential push for Scott Drew to take the Indiana job if they move on from Archie. I get the connections to Indiana, but my gut is screaming that would not be a good fit for either side. I think IU will give Archie another year.....but if not, my advice would be to go in a different direction than Drew.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Reading chatter online about a potential push for Scott Drew to take the Indiana job if they move on from Archie. I get the connections to Indiana, but my gut is screaming that would not be a good fit for either side. I think IU will give Archie another year.....but if not, my advice would be to go in a different direction than Drew.
    Other than the speculation about recruiting improprieties (which, let's be honest, everyone is cheating), why the hesitation on Drew?

He's been great at Baylor. He's built a heck of a program in Waco. From a distance, they seem to be a clean program free of any unusual drama. I get that everything that goes on at Baylor is sketchy, from Dave Bliss to Art Briles, but I don't get the impression Scott Drew's been anything but a respectable college coach. I think he'd be as close to a HR as IU could hope for. (I also think he might take it.)

You could always go Bryce who's back to killing it at Grand Canyon.

Now that Bryce has failed on the "big" stage at Vandy, I hope he takes the Homer route and goes back to Valpo and wins like crazy there for 20 or 25 years. They're going to have to get rid of their coach. But that's all for a different thread!

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Other than the speculation about recruiting improprieties (which, let's be honest, everyone is cheating), why the hesitation on Drew?

He's been great at Baylor. He's built a heck of a program in Waco. From a distance, they seem to be a clean program free of any unusual drama. I get that everything that goes on at Baylor is sketchy, from Dave Bliss to Art Briles, but I don't get the impression Scott Drew's been anything but a respectable college coach. I think he'd be as close to a HR as IU could hope for. (I also think he might take it.)
    He did build the program from ground zero....and it took him 5 years to have a winning record. Indiana fans going to give him 3-4 years to build a program his way? He excels in taking in overlooked guys with a chip on their shoulder and transfers from small programs.....very specific guys that will fit in his culture. His classes have been better in recent years, and he has a good one coming next year....but those are not they type of guys he built the program with and who instilled his culture. Indiana fans going to be ok when his early classes rank near the bottom of the Big10 and he is taking in transfers lower level mid-majors? Baylor was so dirty, they hired the cleanest guy possible and was just happy that players were not assaulting students or worse. It allowed him the type of "time" that he would not have gotten anywhere else....and he has rewarded them well for the time in the early years. I have doubts that IU fans will have the patience that may be needed for Drew to rebuild the program.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

He did build the program from ground zero....and it took him 5 years to have a winning record. Indiana fans going to give him 3-4 years to build a program his way? He excels in taking in overlooked guys with a chip on their shoulder and transfers from small programs.....very specific guys that will fit in his culture. His classes have been better in recent years, and he has a good one coming next year....but those are not they type of guys he built the program with and who instilled his culture. Indiana fans going to be ok when his early classes rank near the bottom of the Big10 and he is taking in transfers lower level mid-majors? Baylor was so dirty, they hired the cleanest guy possible and was just happy that players were not assaulting students or worse. It allowed him the type of "time" that he would not have gotten anywhere else....and he has rewarded them well for the time in the early years. I have doubts that IU fans will have the patience that may be needed for Drew to rebuild the program.
    IU fans are a finicky bunch. They pride themselves in doing things the "right way." Hints of impropriety concerning Drew cast a shadow of doubt amongst RMK lovers. All that being said, Drew would be a HR hire. And unlike at Baylor, he wouldn't start from scratch. As it stands now the current roster has 2 Indiana Mr. Basketballs and a Gatorade POY. They also only had 2 seniors this year in Durham and Brunk(who did not play a minute due to injury). Now if the current roster stays intact and Duncomb still comes, the Hoosiers would be pretty well set. Not saying they would be Top 25, but a tournament team. Which is what they had this year.

IU fans are a finicky bunch. They pride themselves in doing things the "right way." Hints of impropriety concerning Drew cast a shadow of doubt amongst RMK lovers. All that being said, Drew would be a HR hire. And unlike at Baylor, he wouldn't start from scratch. As it stands now the current roster has 2 Indiana Mr. Basketballs and a Gatorade POY. They also only had 2 seniors this year in Durham and Brunk(who did not play a minute due to injury). Now if the current roster stays intact and Duncomb still comes, the Hoosiers would be pretty well set. Not saying they would be Top 25, but a tournament team. Which is what they had this year.
    Indiana would definitely be in a better situation than Baylor was when Drew was hired. Baylor was probably the worst job in America in 2003. I could be wrong....probably a 45-55% chance I am wrong.....but my gut tells me Indiana needs something in the mold of a Juwan Howard. Someone with the gravitas to go back into NYC and Chicago for big recruits to fill the gaps around their midwest guys. It seems like that was always the formula when IU was elite. I have no idea who that person actually is....but if it was me, I would just hire Rick Pitino.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?