Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
The B1G's drought is alarming. To me, the early entrants have affected our conference more than any other.
That's definitely been a HUGE factor.

But a key factor in the B1G's drought -- and key hit on the B1G overall power rating during that period: While I mean no offense/disrespect to the following schools, it really didn't help matters that, no matter how stellar their coaching was compared concurrently on the average with the rest of the conference, Michigan State and Wisconsin (Silly me, I failed to mention their '15 Natty Title appearance against the hired guns in a previous post) spent a considerable period of time carrying the flag for the conference, while the traditional conference flagships -- IU, Michigan, Illinois and OSU -- have each spent a considerable amount of time in down periods.

IU - No need to elaborate.

OSU - O' Brien screwed up the program after a hot start; Matta righted the ship and it wasn't that long ago that OSU spent a sustained period as the conference's top program, but then dropped off precipitously.

Michigan - Two bad hires (though the residual sanctions from both the Fisher and Ellerbe eras didn't help Amaker) post Fisher/pre Beilein, of whom many wanted to ride out of town after year four of his tenure.

Illinois - Underwood may well return the program to prominence in time, but how'd firing Bruce Weber work out?

Iowa - While this may be the best Iowa team since the Acie Earl years, they're on coach number three since idiotically "retiring" Dr. Tom Davis prematurely.

Purdue - More than anything else, key injuries have cost the Boilermakers dearly: Losing Haas in round 1 last year prevented a likely lengthy NCAA run. And who knows what would've happened in '11 if Robbie Hummel had been healthy.

Minnesota - Given that the school is well-resourced, located in a major market in a talent-laden state, give me one good reason why the Gophers -- with the right coach in place -- shouldn't be on par with the Badgers as a program.