Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    The B1G's drought is alarming. To me, the early entrants have affected our conference more than any other.
    That's definitely been a HUGE factor.

But a key factor in the B1G's drought -- and key hit on the B1G overall power rating during that period: While I mean no offense/disrespect to the following schools, it really didn't help matters that, no matter how stellar their coaching was compared concurrently on the average with the rest of the conference, Michigan State and Wisconsin (Silly me, I failed to mention their '15 Natty Title appearance against the hired guns in a previous post) spent a considerable period of time carrying the flag for the conference, while the traditional conference flagships -- IU, Michigan, Illinois and OSU -- have each spent a considerable amount of time in down periods.

IU - No need to elaborate.

OSU - O' Brien screwed up the program after a hot start; Matta righted the ship and it wasn't that long ago that OSU spent a sustained period as the conference's top program, but then dropped off precipitously.

Michigan - Two bad hires (though the residual sanctions from both the Fisher and Ellerbe eras didn't help Amaker) post Fisher/pre Beilein, of whom many wanted to ride out of town after year four of his tenure.

Illinois - Underwood may well return the program to prominence in time, but how'd firing Bruce Weber work out?

Iowa - While this may be the best Iowa team since the Acie Earl years, they're on coach number three since idiotically "retiring" Dr. Tom Davis prematurely.

Purdue - More than anything else, key injuries have cost the Boilermakers dearly: Losing Haas in round 1 last year prevented a likely lengthy NCAA run. And who knows what would've happened in '11 if Robbie Hummel had been healthy.

Minnesota - Given that the school is well-resourced, located in a major market in a talent-laden state, give me one good reason why the Gophers -- with the right coach in place -- shouldn't be on par with the Badgers as a program.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Archie will win huge his 4th year.

We got the right guy, he just needs time.
    I agree. But apparently, we are in the minority, as a such a post on an IU board (at least judging from my viewing) would likely be followed with:

1)So, you're accepting mediocrity?

2)We've been patient for nearly twenty years.

To the later. despite attempts at revisionist history, with the obvious exception of Crean, the rosters of the first two seasons of every IU coach post-Lou Watson (including Knight) have been FAR superior to Miller's.

Let's place this into perspective... The defensive foundation is in place, once Archie has the type of shooters and players with high hoops IQ at his disposal that we've been accustomed to as IU fans -- and there's no reason to believe that he will not -- there's no reason why his teams will not win big annually against top-flight competition.

With all due respect to what seems like a great deal of Hoosier brethren (or fans of rival schools), you seem to be overthinking this, while overlooking the above........or spending too much time listening to Dan Dakich.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-20-2019 at 10:49 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-21-2019)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Rumors swirling that Smith and Green are gone come the end of the season. If this happens and Romeo leaves that gives us 3 more schollays. Don't know what Brooks is gonna do nor what baby Wat is gonna do either.

Rumors swirling that Smith and Green are gone come the end of the season. If this happens and Romeo leaves that gives us 3 more schollays. Don't know what Brooks is gonna do nor what baby Wat is gonna do either.
    Fitzner -- the one whiff that we can place on Archie -- will also be gone, opening up yet another schollay. We can't count on Hunter's health next season, nor Anderson making a significant jump in play (though it's certainly possible; witness Collin Hartman from Freshman to Sophomore), so CAM must load up on as many shooters as possible.

Utilize every avenue. Incoming Freshman (Harlond Beverly?), JuCo's (Sean McNeil?), Transfer portal, the moon....wherever.

Smith has been in a funk every since his Father has taken to numerous tweets bashing the coaching staff, which began around the Illinois game - the last IU home victory. Also, around that same time period, Green -- and I'm fairly certain we've all heard this rumor -- was apparently was involved in a tiff (not necessarily of the physical nature) with another player (presumably Romeo), causing a rift/split between the players.

On top of that, when he was first hired, Archie apparently wanted to turn over the roster by at least five players either via transfers or de-commitments (Justin's class) and was rebuffed by Glass due to the team's APR from the previous season.

Color me not surprised in the least by any of this.

Even more evidence that at least 90 per cent of the Hoosier's issues are due to personnel, as opposed to coaching.

An NBA scouts take on IU:

“I like Romeo. To me, Romeo is a top-five pick. He will go no later than No. 8.

“I know some people have questioned him because of the season that Indiana is having, but look at who he is playing with.

“They have one guy (Juwan Morgan) who will probably play in the G-League. The rest of those guys would be substitutes coming off the bench on the good teams in the Big Ten. It’s just not a very talented team.
    https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-s...2dc83768e.html

The defense rests.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Fitzner -- the one whiff that we can place on Archie -- will also be gone, opening up yet another schollay. We can't count on Hunter's health next season, nor Anderson making a significant jump in play (though it's certainly possible; witness Collin Hartman from Freshman to Sophomore), so CAM must load up on as many shooters as possible.

Utilize every avenue. Incoming Freshman (Harlond Beverly?), JuCo's (Sean McNeil?), Transfer portal, the moon....wherever.

Smith has been in a funk every since his Father has taken to numerous tweets bashing the coaching staff, which began around the Illinois game - the last IU home victory. Also, around that same time period, Green -- and I'm fairly certain we've all heard this rumor -- was apparently was involved in a tiff (not necessarily of the physical nature) with another player (presumably Romeo), causing a rift/split between the players.

On top of that, when he was first hired, Archie apparently wanted to turn over the roster by at least five players either via transfers or de-commitments (Justin's class) and was rebuffed by Glass due to the team's APR from the previous season.

Color me not surprised in the least by any of this.
    I was counting Fitzner...right now we are full up with TJD and Franklin.

As far as that APR, that stuff probably cost Archie getting McKinley Wright...Glass "made" Arch go after Crean's commits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Even more evidence that at least 90 per cent of the Hoosier's issues are due to personnel, as opposed to coaching.

An NBA scouts take on IU:

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-s...2dc83768e.html

The defense rests.
    Pretty alarming stuff...but if the shoe fits?

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-22-2019)

The B1G's drought is alarming. To me, the early entrants have affected our conference more than any other.
    I'd argue that the B1G's problem is the lack of early entrants. The conference doesn't get as many high end talents as the ACC.

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-25-2019),Revering4Blue (02-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'd argue that the B1G's problem is the lack of early entrants. The conference doesn't get as many high end talents as the ACC.
    I could argue that as well.

Dumb question...is it still possible to win the way Knight did basically locking up the best instate talent and cherry picking Illinois and Ohio?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Dumb question...is it still possible to win the way Knight did basically locking up the best instate talent and cherry picking Illinois and Ohio?
    I think it’s possible but good luck doing it. Indiana has been poached for talent ever since RMK got canned.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Not a dumb question at all.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think it’s possible but good luck doing it. Indiana has been poached for talent ever since RMK got canned.
    When you factor in "the region" - NW Indiana - there's so much talent within the state that it shouldn't matter if UK, Louisville, OSU et al nab their fair share of it. That's been going on seemingly forever -- way back to Knight's salad days, when Knight was signing top-flight IHSAA talent on a regular basis.

It's not so much a matter of "locking up" the best instate talent (you're obviously, with so much talent within the state, still going to miss out on a great deal of talent; especially so in today's information/social media/every major team's games on TV era), but from IU's perspective, it's really this simple -- and this has to be a cumulative thing, not just two out of five years (see Crean, Tom): Sign two or three of the best IHSAA players (one-and-done type talent or not) each season, and that should be enough to restore the program to prominence. Not that CAM shouldn't venture beyond the border states if necessary to augment the IHSAA kids, but the concentration should be first and foremost instate.

Having said that, I still maintain (and I wouldn't bet against CAM ultimately proving to be successful in doing so; after all CAM's only true IU class that's his own featured players from Lafayette and South Bend, respectably) that reestablishing a recruiting base in the region will go a long way (likely the icing on the cake) in reaching the aforementioned mission. IU hasn't gained such a year-in, year-out presence there since Branch McCracken hung up his whistle.

Is there that much talent in Indiana? Also factor in Butler being in the Big East instead of the conference they were in 25 years ago.

Is IU relevant in Chicago? It seems like Chicago is a B1G town not really a big draw for one individual school.

Ohio is interesting in that both MSU and Michigan have done a better job of recruiting it than OSU.

CAM may have a better shot at recruiting Ohio because of his ties, but if you are in a battle with OSU, MSU, Michigan, and UC, its a tough one really to count on. Lets not forget in Ohio that football team in Columbus is a very important recruiting tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Is there that much talent in Indiana? Also factor in Butler being in the Big East instead of the conference they were in 25 years ago.

Is IU relevant in Chicago? It seems like Chicago is a B1G town not really a big draw for one individual school.

Ohio is interesting in that both MSU and Michigan have done a better job of recruiting it than OSU.

CAM may have a better shot at recruiting Ohio because of his ties, but if you are in a battle with OSU, MSU, Michigan, and UC, its a tough one really to count on. Lets not forget in Ohio that football team in Columbus is a very important recruiting tool.
    Yes there is that much talent in the state. Butler has nothing to do with it, they always got their share of home grown talent. Notre Dame is the one that is to be concerned with.

IU is very relevant in Chicago as far as fan base, but that city is a mess concerning how kids are being recruited.

Archie landed a recruit from Ohio this past season. He is out for the year due to medical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Indiana for basketball is kinda like Florida for football, am I right?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-25-2019)

Indiana for basketball is kinda like Florida for football, am I right?
    I would say that is a fair analogy.

21. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-23-2019)

Turn Off Ads?