Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    2 bad losses. LOL. Texas pummeled us.
    True.

But a ‘bad loss’ is defined as a non-quad 1/2 loss for bracketology purposes. So technically, the Northwestern loss is the only one that looks bad from that standpoint.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    True.

But a ‘bad loss’ is defined as a non-quad 1/2 loss for bracketology purposes. So technically, the Northwestern loss is the only one that looks bad from that standpoint.
    I know. No shame in losing to Texas.

IU can play with anyone in the B1G. Problem is getting a "W".

Must have been Divine Intervention that won the game last night. Just plain terrible basketball overall by the Hoosiers.

5. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-11-2021)

I'm just happy to accept the win (no matter the circumstances) and move on. Welsh-Ryan Arena has been an absolute house of horrors for the Hoosiers post '13 or so.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

7. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-11-2021),Hoosier Red (02-11-2021)

Archie is done, right?

Who do they go after this time?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Archie is done, right?

Who do they go after this time?
    For his team's road loss - albeit quite convincingly - to a team in line for a #1 seed? C'mon!

Franklin got in early foul trouble and it just snowballed from there. And the freshman class, who had been contributing heavily, were no shows today.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-13-2021 at 05:37 PM.

For his team's road loss - albeit quite convincingly - to a team in line for a #1 seed? C'mon!

Franklin got in early foul trouble and it just snowballed from there. And the freshman class, who had been contributing heavily, were no shows today.
    No, I just hadn’t watched Indiana much this year and this was the first full game. It’s the resume more than anything. I’m not even sure it’s his fault, but they seem to be treading water at the bottom half of the conference.

I am a UD and OSU basketball fan. There was a time I wanted Archie to take over for Matta (didn’t care for Matta as a coach), but holy smokes is it obvious how much better Holtmann is. Night and day.

No, I just hadn’t watched Indiana much this year and this was the first full game. It’s the resume more than anything. I’m not even sure it’s his fault, but they seem to be treading water at the bottom half of the conference.
    Archie's not above reproach at all. But let's just say that a lot's transpired during his tenure that's been completely out of his control - among them, the APR mess left by Crean and key injuries virtually every year of his tenure. For example: Think IU'd be better off with McKinley Wright IV manning the point with 5 star Lander waiting in the wings? Couldn't happen thanks to Crean's APR mess. And this team would easily have at least two wins (not today, though) were Brunk healthy.

Now, if were still having this discussion a year or so from now, that's a different story.

I am a UD and OSU basketball fan. There was a time I wanted Archie to take over for Matta (didn’t care for Matta as a coach), but holy smokes is it obvious how much better Holtmann is. Night and day.
    Where most erred in comparing the two situations when both IU and OSU jobs opened was the belief that the IU program was in much better shape, which has proven to be untrue. Given that, and taking nothing away from Holtmann, I'm not buying the argument that Archie couldn't have taken over at OSU in '17 with essentially the same results as Holtmann. This isn't directed at you, but the following ridiculous, often parroted argument's amount to Elementary School-level analysis: 1) Coming from the Atlantic 10, Archie is over-matched in the BIG. 2) Why would IU, deemed as a premier CBB job, hire a HC from a non-Power Six (Counting the AAC) School?

I doubt any HC short of perhaps Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan (Both NBA lifers at this point), Jay Wright or Mark Few (Neither are going anywhere, not to IU, UK, UNC, Duke, no matter how much $$$ you throw at them) would've gotten IU back to, well, being IU virtually overnight.

12. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-14-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-13-2021)

Archie's not above reproach at all. But let's just say that a lot's transpired during his tenure that's been completely out of his control - among them, the APR mess left by Crean and key injuries virtually every year of his tenure. For example: Think IU'd be better off with McKinley Wright IV manning the point with 5 star Lander waiting in the wings? Couldn't happen thanks to Crean's APR mess. And this team would easily have at least two wins (not today, though) were Brunk healthy.

Now, if were still having this discussion a year or so from now, that's a different story.

Where most erred in comparing the two situations when both IU and OSU jobs opened was the belief that the IU program was in much better shape, which has proven to be untrue. Given that, and taking nothing away from Holtmann, I'm not buying the argument that Archie couldn't have taken over at OSU in '17 with essentially the same results as Holtmann. This isn't directed at you, but the following ridiculous, often parroted argument's amount to Elementary School-level analysis: 1) Coming from the Atlantic 10, Archie is over-matched in the BIG. 2) Why would IU, deemed as a premier CBB job, hire a HC from a non-Power Six (Counting the AAC) School?

I doubt any HC short of perhaps Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan (Both NBA lifers at this point), Jay Wright or Mark Few (Neither are going anywhere, not to IU, UK, UNC, Duke, no matter how much $$$ you throw at them) would've gotten IU back to, well, being IU virtually overnight.
    Like I said I’m a UD fan: the A-10 is a high quality conference and you wouldn’t have heard that from me

Like I said I’m a UD fan: the A-10 is a high quality conference and you wouldn’t have heard that from me
    Oh, I know. That's why I specified that those ridiculous arguments were NOT directed at you. In fact, you were one of the few non IU fans on this board defending IU's hire of Archie at the time.

I watch a ton of Atlantic 10 basketball myself and have rooted for the Flyers since the Jim Paxson years. If only Steve McElveene, who was from my hometown, would have lived and there actually would have been a tournament last year with the Toppin team. Back to the A 10, 6'11" Clifton Moore, who transferred to LaSalle from IU in '18, while no star, protects the rim and stretches the floor. He may have been of tremendous help had he stuck around Bloomington.

Anyway, I think today's game says more about the strength/overall talent and depth of the Buckeyes than it does about IU's shortcomings.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-13-2021)

The Hoosiers had their chances after the early Buck barrage. Cut the lead to 5 on two different occasions. But they seem to always shoot themselves in the foot. Terrible FT shooting, missed opportunities on the defensive glass, and not finishing at the rim. JSMH.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    The Hoosiers had their chances after the early Buck barrage. Cut the lead to 5 on two different occasions. But they seem to always shoot themselves in the foot. Terrible FT shooting, missed opportunities on the defensive glass, and not finishing at the rim. JSMH.
    Is Archie the right guy? Seems like he has the talent, but his teams just don't execute.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Is Archie the right guy? Seems like he has the talent, but his teams just don't execute.
    As of now, the main issue is that Archie's plan of following the Jay Wright/Tony Bennett plan of 'get old, stay old' in regard to the roster - which I wholeheartedly agree with - has been hampered by the fact that his most talented players are underclassman, and he's receiving few overall contributions from a largely ineffective and/or injured group of upperclassman.

To add to a borrowed analogy of the IU program from another board:

- Chris Mack at Louisville inherited a structurally sound house that was plagued by image issues, and just required a sprucing up of the front yard and a fresh coat of paint.

- Chris Holtmann at OSU inherited a structurally sound house that required minor repairs, with maintenance to be performed on existing appliances to enable them to operate more efficiently.

- Tom Crean inherited a completely demolished home and was given Carte Blanche to rebuild it from the foundation up to his liking. He did so, but left behind a home that was damaged from the foundation up.

- Archie Miller inherited that structurally damaged home and was tasked with rebuilding the home, all the while, restricted from performing needed repairs (ie; turning over the roster with 'his' players) from the get-go or performing a re-demolition of the house.

It's much easier and time efficient to completely rebuild a home from the ground up than to repair a home with a damaged foundation,
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-15-2021 at 05:14 PM.

I do not agree at all Holtmann inherited a structurally sound situation. He had to completely revamp the roster.

Matta’s last big class all either transferred or were booted from the team. Holtmann had to start from complete scratch.

As of now, the main issue is that Archie's plan of following the Jay Wright/Tony Bennett plan of 'get old, stay old' in regard to the roster - which I wholeheartedly agree with - has been hampered by the fact that his most talented players are underclassman, and he's receiving few overall contributions from a largely ineffective and/or injured group of upperclassman.

To add to a borrowed analogy of the IU program from another board:

- Chris Mack at Louisville inherited a structurally sound house that was plagued by image issues, and just required a sprucing up of the front yard and a fresh coat of paint.

- Chris Holtmann at OSU inherited a structurally sound house that required minor repairs, with maintenance to be performed on existed appliances to enable them to operate more efficiently.

- Tom Crean inherited a completely demolished home and was given Carte Blanche to rebuild it from the foundation up to his liking. He did so, but left behind a home that was damaged from the foundation up.

- Archie Miller inherited that structurally damaged home and was tasked with rebuilding the home, all the while, restricted from performing needed repairs (ie; turning over the roster with 'his' players) from the get-go or performing a re-demolition of the house.

It's much easier and time efficient to completely rebuild a home from the ground up than to repair a home with a damaged foundation,
    I mentioned this in the OSU thread, but the thing that struck me with IU was they had a guy on the post that OSU couldn't guard. Every time they played a two man game with him, he scored, rather easily. It was Jackson-Davis who was able to score at will. I had no idea why IU didn't go to that two man game every possession until OSU found something to stop it.

I feel like each and every year IU has some talent, has a guy who is drafted, but the talent doesn't equal the production on the court. They aren't a team I would want to draw in the tournament, but then again they may fizzle out.

Turn Off Ads?