Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'd argue that the B1G's problem is the lack of early entrants. The conference doesn't get as many high end talents as the ACC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I could argue that as well.
    Something that Zach Osterman brought up on a podcast recently,
    "The B1G is the conference is still officiated like its the 1980's. Too many times that the post play is particularly ugly, no blood no foul."

As a result, B1G players get used to not being called for fouls on "minor" contact, but that changes in the NCAA tournament.
    Similarly, they're often discouraged from post moves they should be attempting and players from ACC/SEC/BE will make those moves and have easier time in Tourney action.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    "The B1G is the conference is still officiated like its the 1980's. Too many times that the post play is particularly ugly, no blood no foul."

As a result, B1G players get used to not being called for fouls on "minor" contact, but that changes in the NCAA tournament.
    Similarly, they're often discouraged from post moves they should be attempting and players from ACC/SEC/BE will make those moves and have easier time in Tourney action.
    Back in the 80's there were Big 10 officials, they are not affiliated by conference anymore.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

Zach's correct.

Living in ACC country at the time, watching a lot of ACC ball -- a conference in which whistles blew seemingly for every ticky-tack foul at the time, this was particularly noticeable during the mid-to-late 90's, before Michael Redd's OSU team ended a six season B1G Ten (as it was obviously known then) Final Four drought. And of course, MSU ended an 11 season B1G NCAA championship drought the next season. Still no excuse for IU teams getting blown out by powerhouses like Boston College, Colorado and Pepperdine in the first round three out of four seasons, though.

I also happen to believe that same issue also adversely affected Bob Huggins' UC Bearcats' teams post '92 FF. Granted, Huggins' Danny Fortson years Bearcats were, in my eyes, more physical than the Nick Van Exel teams, but I digress....
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

5. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-26-2019)

How did IU go from being one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the land to one of the worst in just three years?

For answers to that question, we need to take a look at the directions IU went in terms of talent and how the decisions from a decade ago are still reverberating through Assembly Hall.
    https://247sports.com/college/indian...ipo-129439340/

A long article, but worth the read.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Firstly, there were multiple factors in IU's last loss to Iowa:

- Too many missed bunnies

- Too many missed free throws

- Brick city from three-point land (much like missed free throws, a broken record)

- The zebras (looked like the second half of the '92 FF game against Duke all over again)

But, IMHO, the deciding factor: The loss of Phinisee (who had helped to hold Bohannan in check for 3/4 of the game) late in the game to injury.

Any word as to the severity of his foot injury?

And we sit and wait for Bucky to beat us again......

Back in the 80's there were Big 10 officials, they are not affiliated by conference anymore.
    True, but the officials for whatever reason appear officiate the B1G differently than they do the ACC. I'm not sure why that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Firstly, there were multiple factors in IU's last loss to Iowa:

- Too many missed bunnies

- Too many missed free throws

- Brick city from three-point land (much like missed free throws, a broken record)

- The zebras (looked like the second half of the '92 FF game against Duke all over again)

But, IMHO, the deciding factor: The loss of Phinisee (who had helped to hold Bohannan in check for 3/4 of the game) late in the game to injury.

Any word as to the severity of his foot injury?
    Archie said that it was cramps, not a foot issue. So hopefully nothing going forward.
    Public Service Announcement: Hydrate everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-26-2019)

And we sit and wait for Bucky to beat us again......
    Reasoning for hope: The '14 shooting-deprived Hoosiers (Vonleh's season) somehow managed a home upset over then-#3 Wisconsin.

Reasoning for a (likely) reality check: Said Hoosiers team shot free throws at a 73% clip for the season --70 per cent for that particular evening -- substantially better than this season.

Folks, it's time to play IU basketball false narratives.....

The subject for today: Romeo Langford!

#1: One-and-done types like Langford should be avoided at IU.....

Would you rather high-end IHSAA talent lands elsewhere, as it did more often than not under the Davis and Crean regimes?

Next.....

#2: Romeo would be a fool to declare for the draft after this season...He's not ready, and thanks to his team's sub-par season, will fall out of the high lottery.

< Price is Right buzzer sound >

Whether Romeo is "ready" for the NBA or not, it's been proven conclusively that NBA scouts judge based solely on long-term potential, could not care less about NCAA team performance, and also realize that his long-range shooting will develop eventually. Besides -- and it still amazes me just how many fans fail to realize this -- the days of drafting for need/immediate impact within the lottery ended once nearly every high-end player began leaving school following their sophomore years, if not earlier.

#3: Archie Miller is wasting Romeo's season because he has no clue how to coach high end talent.

< Price is Right fail theme >

So it's Archie's fault for not waving a magic wand to enable players to remain healthy, poor shooters to shoot well (both free throws and perimeter shots) and enable players with a low BBall IQ -- I'm looking at you, Smith and Green) to suddenly morph into basketball Einsteins? And it's also Archie's fault he was unable to remake the roster to his liking from the get-go due to APR restrictions?

With all due respect to those playing at home who believe the last narrative, you don't even get a copy of the home game.

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-26-2019),BRM (03-01-2019),Hoosier Red (03-04-2019),Playadlc (02-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Folks, it's time to play IU basketball false narratives.....

The subject for today: Romeo Langford!

#1: One-and-done types like Langford should be avoided at IU.....

Would you rather high-end IHSAA talent lands elsewhere, as it did more often than not under the Davis and Crean regimes?

Next.....

#2: Romeo would be a fool to declare for the draft after this season...He's not ready, and thanks to his team's sub-par season, will fall out of the high lottery.

< Price is Right buzzer sound >

Whether Romeo is "ready" for the NBA or not, it's been proven conclusively that NBA scouts judge based solely on long-term potential, could not care less about NCAA team performance, and also realize that his long-range shooting will develop eventually. Besides -- and it still amazes me just how many fans fail to realize this -- the days of drafting for need/immediate impact within the lottery ended once nearly every high-end player began leaving school following their sophomore years, if not earlier.

#3: Archie Miller is wasting Romeo's season because he has no clue how to coach high end talent.

< Price is Right fail theme >

So it's Archie's fault for not waving a magic wand to enable players to remain healthy, poor shooters to shoot well (both free throws and perimeter shots) and enable players with a low BBall IQ -- I'm looking at you, Smith and Green) to suddenly morph into basketball Einsteins? And it's also Archie's fault he was unable to remake the roster to his liking from the get-go due to APR restrictions?

With all due respect to those playing at home who believe the last narrative, you don't even get a copy of the home game.
    I got to steal that one. So dead on and funny too!!!!

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-26-2019)

Well, whadaya know? The hoops Gods finally smiled upon us.

For a head coach that has seen his team struggle to execute down the stretch in recent games, it was a thing of beauty to watch his team nail the details with precision —

“Rob did a great job,” Indiana head coach Archie Miller said. “We asked Rob to come up and interfere a little bit and get out. The minute he did that, I thought their guy just flinched just a quick second. And the minute he did it, I knew Romeo’s shoulder was going to get by him, just a matter of whether he’d make it or not.”

You cannot downplay the growth by Langford either. It wasn’t the same offensive scheme, but this was exactly the decision he didn’t make in the final seconds of regulation against Iowa last Friday —

“He definitely made an aggressive play,” Miller said. “We talked about it after the Iowa game. Don’t settle. Get to the rim. Sometimes that’s easier said than done, but he made a great play on the finish.”

While Langford first acknowledged the efforts of his teammates to set the play up, he expressed relief and highlighted his willingness to grow as a player when quizzed further on his big moment —

“I mean, just finally I hit one,” Langford said. “I know the past two times I had it in my hand at the end of the game, it didn’t come out as we planned. I just learned from mistakes in the past two, settling for a jump shot, and I felt like they couldn’t stop me getting to the rim. That’s exactly what I did, and I made the shot.”

As Langford, Phinisee and Race Thompson sat down in front of the media after the game, you were reminded how you young this team is with three freshman staring back at you.

Yes, they are young. Yes, there have been setbacks — both with injuries and losses. Lots of losses.

But at least on this night, with the team as healthy as it has been all year, we saw a glimmer of the promise that once surrounded these Hoosiers.

It may not be enough to save the season, but these freshmen are learning, and this team is coming together when they very easily could have mailed it in and moved on to next season.

No, this team hasn’t quit. And it all starts with executing on the tiniest of details.
    https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indi...ver-wisconsin/

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-27-2019)

Big win...now time to deal with Sparty. The Hoosiers still got a shot at going dancing.

Big win...now time to deal with Sparty. The Hoosiers still got a shot at going dancing.
    Sorry, couldn't resist..

20. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-02-2019)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Big win against MSU! 15-14 with Rutgers and Illinois left. We have an outside shot at making the tourney! 3 wins against top 10 teams and 6 or so against the top 25.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-04-2019)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

19 wins gets IU dancing!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Turn Off Ads?