Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Indiana basketball is basically the Nebraska football of basketball. Nobody cares.
    This is silly. Indiana had the best team in the country with 2 top 4 picks in the 2012-13 season. They won the B10 5 years ago. There's no doubt that the program is down right now, but a good coach would bring them right back. They're in a similar spot to where OSU was in the final John Cooper years. Indiana is still one of the most talent rich states for high school basketball. But getting the next coach right is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-15-2021),Hoosier Red (03-15-2021),Revering4Blue (03-14-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    This is silly. Indiana had the best team in the country with 2 top 4 picks in the 2012-13 season. They won the B10 5 years ago. There's no doubt that the program is down right now, but a good coach would bring them right back. They're in a similar spot to where OSU was in the final John Cooper years. Indiana is still one of the most talent rich states for high school basketball. But getting the next coach right is key.

Going on 10 years ago. Nobody cares about Indiana basketball. The next wave of recruits were 5-8 years old when Indiana was last relevant.

It’s over, Johnny. Too many years of being irrelevant.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 03-14-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

It happens. Kentucky went through it toward the end of the Tubby Smith years. Florida (which ironically enough I would compare Ohio State to now) capitalized during that time but eventually Kentucky got it right and I think Indiana will too.

I dislike Indiana for obvious reasons but I do respect the Hoosiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

6. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-15-2021),dubc47834 (03-15-2021),Revering4Blue (03-14-2021)

Going on 10 years ago. Nobody cares about Indiana basketball. The next wave of recruits were 5-8 years old when Indiana was last relevant.

It’s over, Johnny. Too many years of being irrelevant.
    And yet Indiana has signed the top player in the state 4 straight years. 2021 is the first year where Archie struck out in state, but he's gotten 3 5* players from Indiana in 4 years. He hasn't been able to capitalize, but a good coach can turn it around pretty much immediately.

There is talent on the team, but the pieces have never fit together under Archie. A mixture of bad luck with some recruits not developing and not finding reliable shooting did him in.

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-15-2021),dubc47834 (03-15-2021),Hoosier Red (03-15-2021),Revering4Blue (03-14-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

He has a big buyout. I'm not sure Indiana can top it, but Oats would be one of my top choices if they could

That’s going to require a 12 million dollar buyout to lure Oats, and I have my doubts that he would interested in leaving what he’s built and building at Bama. RTG isn’t wrong there.

And I actually prefer Eric Musselman between the two SEC coaches that IU could possibly target for various reasons. And he may be the most attainable realistic target of the higher profile candidates.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 03-14-2021 at 07:56 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

10. Likes:

BillDoran (03-15-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Archie is gone.

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-15-2021),Griffey012 (03-15-2021)

Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Archie is gone.
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...on-sources-say

Here’s some other candidates to digest:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ew/6930968002/

Chris Beard would be intriguing although he has zero connection to IU outside of RMK.
    Last edited by WVRed; 03-15-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Dolson MUST nail this hire.

No idiotic emotional /IU guy hire. Hopefully this quick action is a sign that established, high-profile coaches have expressed interest via back channels.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-15-2021),dubc47834 (03-15-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Chris Beard would be intriguing although he has zero connection to IU outside of RMK.
    Any RMK pupils would be welcomed in Bloomington.

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-15-2021)

Chris Beard ain’t leaving what he has going at TT for a dumpster fire. No way.

Archie is done, right?

Who do they go after this time?
    February 13th. To quote the legend: I can’t get no respect

Beilein and Matta are the two most intriguing guys on the list who are realistic gets. Neither is a long term solution (Beilein because of his age, Matta because of questionable health), but I think either would get IU back to the tournament on a regular basis. They would be the guy before the guy.

The program has been down for a couple of decades now. They did have a brief bump in the teens, where they potentially had a team that could win it all, but they fell shot. I have heard the Cooper comparison, but I think that is faulty, Cooper had a run of teams that were championship caliber who fell short. Cooper may be the OSU coach who achieved the least with the most amount of talent. Even during Cooper's tenure at OSU (sans the tail end) they had championship caliber teams. IU has had one or two of those in the past decade.

I don't follow CBB recruiting all that much, and far less than I do football. What I am interested in, unless you are Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, there is a regional aspect to recruiting. Bringing in a guy who has no ties to the midwest, or the B1G footprint of recruiting may be a massive mistake for IU. The top tier of the B1G need to recruit the Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan footprint to be successful. Interesting enough, Scott Drew's wiki page says he is the IU coach. He would be the home run hire, my question for him is how far removed from midwest recruiting is he? Will he step right in and fight off Purdue, OSU, MSU, Michigan for the top regional talent?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Beilein and Matta are the two most intriguing guys on the list who are realistic gets. Neither is a long term solution (Beilein because of his age, Matta because of questionable health), but I think either would get IU back to the tournament on a regular basis. They would be the guy before the guy.
    I don't think Matta's the hot coaching prospect some seem to think he is. Something broke at the end. A lot of people point to his health. Could have been staff departures (Boals?). Could have just been some recruiting misfires. I don't know, but something was really off toward the end of his tenure. He's only 53, but I don't know that you can assume he'll snap his fingers and go back to the coach he was in 2012. I think he'd be a great hire for a lower profile gig, but I don't think he'd be the right fit at IU.

I like Matta a ton. His players really seemed to like him as well, but the OSU program was a mess when he left.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 03-15-2021 at 02:32 PM.

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-15-2021)

IU can't afford to replace an Archie with a Jughead. That's all I got.

25. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-15-2021),Revering4Blue (03-15-2021)

Turn Off Ads?