Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Hate to say this but in order for Indiana to get back to its past glory it’ll involve buying in to modern college basketball.

The game is changing especially with the transfer portal becoming a FA market and restrictions on players transferring being eased up. The days of coaches building a team and those players staying 3-4 years to earn a degree are gone and any fan who thinks otherwise could be met with “Ok Boomer”.

Indiana does need to get it right and I do think they will. There’s some solid options available and even if they do go with Beilein or Marta they could have a young assistant waiting in the wings ready to go when they retire.
    Agreed.

And I found it interesting that IU AD Scott Dolson emphasized the need to modernize IU hoops, ranging from the style of play from the next coach to - without offering specifics - additional elements that extend beyond simply hiring a new coach.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

So far, Nate Oats has announced that he's not interested in going anywhere. And - huge sigh of relief from yours truly - Steve Alford announced that he's commited to Nevada and won't pursue the IU job.

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Too long left in the NBA season for Steven's to be an option. He would need to be fired in season, or IU wait and risk getting a great hire.
    He could resign?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    He could resign?
    He could, but I would be highly surprised. I can't remember the last time a NBA coach resigned mid-season to go back to college...can you?
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    He could, but I would be highly surprised. I can't remember the last time a NBA coach resigned mid-season to go back to college...can you?
    Larry Brown? 1983? Nets to Kansas? But it wasn't mid season.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    So far, Nate Oats has announced that he's not interested in going anywhere. And - huge sigh of relief from yours truly - Steve Alford announced that he's commited to Nevada and won't pursue the IU job.

I am thinking Beard or Drew?

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-16-2021)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Larry Brown? 1983? Nets to Kansas? But it wasn't mid season.
    I honestly can't remember a time where it has happened, and I doubt IU would want to wait till the end of the NBA season. That would take a huge amount of trust.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

I am thinking Beard or Drew?
    if you have that choice......Beard is the guy. IMO, he is one of the best in all of college basketball. He can make adjustments within a game that will flip it upside down. Beard makes over $5 Million a year...so not sure how easy it would be to get him out of West Texas. Scott Drew makes the same amount as IU paid Miller.
    Last edited by adkindo; 03-17-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

I am also committed to my job and won't pursue the Indiana opening.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    yeah, it means nothing until an offer is on the table and the person then says no. The only answer in public is to say you are happy where you are and have no interest in leaving.....then have your agent talking behind the scenes.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Reminds me of when Kentucky hired Calipari and Rick Barnes (then at Texas) removed himself from consideration. Barnes was never the guy but whatever.

What I’m curious to see is if Indiana does hire someone who will go modern how the fans react to that coach recruiting the transfer portal and one and done players. I know IU has had some one and dones in the past but I always think of IU being more traditional given RMK.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Reminds me of when Kentucky hired Calipari and Rick Barnes (then at Texas) removed himself from consideration. Barnes was never the guy but whatever.

What I’m curious to see is if Indiana does hire someone who will go modern how the fans react to that coach recruiting the transfer portal and one and done players. I know IU has had some one and dones in the past but I always think of IU being more traditional given RMK.
    I consider IU and OSU to be similar programs right now. And its interesting to see how the teams are built, from recruits to transfers both gained and lost. In OSU's case, Holtmann took some heat for losing a lot of his recruiting classes, but the further you dove into things, it was getting players who bought into the program, and then add an influx of talent either through transfers or recruits.

I am not as intuned with IU, but in watching them it was almost like Archie never got the team on solid footing. He never built that core of players who bought in to his program. Jackson-Davis is a guy who if you put him on OSU's team they may be a #1 seed, but on IU he was a guy who was very good but the surrounding cast was pretty meh.

I think someone mentioned Jay Wright's philosophy of getting old and staying old, I think that is the MO that most programs need to take. Unless you are a current blue blood, the teams who have the most success are the ones who are able to build a nice solid core and then add to it. I think the old style of basketball where you get a recruiting class in, get to know the kids, and then 3-4 years later they graduate is done. You may get one or two guys who come in as freshmen and play and stay to their senior year, but there is far more churn in today's game than ever before. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

16. Likes:

jimbo (03-17-2021),Revering4Blue (03-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    yeah, it means nothing until an offer is on the table and the person then says no. The only answer in public is to say you are happy where you are and have no interest in leaving.....then have your agent talking behind the scenes.
    I also think Indiana would have no interest in Alford either. He's coaching at Nevada after stops at UCLA, New Mexico, and Iowa where he's never made it beyond the sweet 16.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Ya might think of them being traditional because of Knight, but since RMK guys leave early for the pros.

Personally, I don't really care how the new coach does business. I just want to get back to that elite level and stay there.

19. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-20-2021),Revering4Blue (03-17-2021)

Ya might think of them being traditional because of Knight, but since RMK guys leave early for the pros.

Personally, I don't really care how the new coach does business. I just want to get back to that elite level and stay there.
    Now you understand why we sold our soul in 2009.

And I did say I know players from IU leave early for the pros. Just the fanbase is still entrenched in that era it seems like.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?