Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Stringing a few wins together against the two remaining teams on their regular season schedule, plus one game in the B1G tournament?

Yes, it's possible; not saying that it WILL happen.

Stringing a few wins together against NCAA Tournament-caliber teams?

I have my doubts; as free throw shooting woes alone could come back to haunt the team.
    They're a 2.5 pt dog tonight against a team ranked in the 90s (NET). Simply put they'll have to play better than they have in 2019. Is there a basis for this sort of improvement or just wishful thinking?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They're a 2.5 pt dog tonight against a team ranked in the 90s (NET). Simply put they'll have to play better than they have in 2019. Is there a basis for this sort of improvement or just wishful thinking?
    The team is finally intact (no suspensions and finally healthy), for one thing. To that end, Juwan Morgan being forced to guard considerably bigger players for long stretches of games due to other bigs knocked out due to injuries (Davis and Thompson), or ineffective (Fitzner) took it's toll.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

They've played much better for the last two weeks, going 2-2 against four top 25 teams. (Two at home, two on road) The two they lost (by 2 against Purdue and by 6 in OT against Iowa) were performances that I'd think would likely have been victorious against tonight's opponent. As Rev pointed out above, finally being healthy has given this team a bit of a boost. So there's reason to think the last two weeks are closer to reality than the 6 previous ones.

Who knows, this has been a weird season for sure, and this team seems to disdain prosperity like few I've ever seen.
    But I think winning the two games this week keeps them in the NCAA conversation, even if they're still on the outside needing another big win to get in.
    Assuming they're still in the conversation next week, we can look at what they need in the Big Ten Tourney.

I simply think it's foolish to dismiss their chances out of hand as you've been doing, and which there's plenty of evidence to the contrary of your position.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 03-07-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-07-2019)

Bowl talk from an IU fan? You gotta be kidding me. Your record was just as pathetic as the Vols last yr. While we're at it, when was the last time your team had a football season over .500? Your football record is about as pathetic as it gets. Just sayin'

As of the last couple of yrs I had no such contemplations. Having said that, half the Div 1 schools get into Bowl games whereas only about a sixth get into the NCAA tournament, thus this is a much more exclusive group. Just about every .500 Div 1 team gets into a Bowl.

Here's the issue. Is IU even capable of stringing a few wins together or is such thinking dreamy?
    Yeah I'm not jumping on anyone's bowl record. We're a soccer school.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-07-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (03-10-2019),westofyou (03-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Yeah I'm not jumping on anyone's bowl record. We're a soccer school.

9. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-07-2019),Revering4Blue (03-07-2019)

I simply think it's foolish to dismiss their chances out of hand as you've been doing, and which there's plenty of evidence to the contrary of your position.
    I haven't dismissed anything. I did state some facts as to their record. I think it's a little early to discuss their NCAA chances. Win these two games, see how the Big Ten tournament stacks up, how other bubble teams are faring, then we'll talk

I haven't dismissed anything. I did state some facts as to their record. I think it's a little early to discuss their NCAA chances. Win these two games, see how the Big Ten tournament stacks up, how other bubble teams are faring, then we'll talk

Personally I think it's nuts that you're even contemplating an NCAA bid. Look, you've won 4 games in the calendar yr. That's right, 4 wins in all of 2019 and you needed a total of 3 OTs to win those. You're 4-12 in 2019. And you're thinking wins against a couple teams in the 90s of NET rankings (Illinois, Rutgers) could vault you into the tournament? What kind of world is this?

If you're in a 4-12 hole, you gotta do a helluva lot more than that to earn a spot.
    You’ll forgive me for misinterpreting that as dismissing their chances.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Hoosiers cruise. I want Tennessee.

13. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-07-2019)

You’ll forgive me for misinterpreting that as dismissing their chances.
    I do think it's nuts for 4-12 teams to contemplate NCAAs.

Nice win yesterday vs an 11-18 team. If you continue that we'll see

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Hoosiers cruise. I want Tennessee.
    Be careful what you wish for...

15. Likes:

jimbo (03-08-2019)

I want Tennessee.

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-08-2019),Hoosier Red (03-11-2019)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I do think it's nuts for 4-12 teams to contemplate NCAAs.

Nice win yesterday vs an 11-18 team. If you continue that we'll see

- - - Updated - - -

Be careful what you wish for...
    You keep going to conference record, I dont get it. Conference record is not part of the evaluation when deciding the NCAA field. If the committee doesnt consider it, why are you?
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    You keep going to conference record, I dont get it. Conference record is not part of the evaluation when deciding the NCAA field. If the committee doesnt consider it, why are you?
    The 11-18 record that I referenced was overall. The 4-12 record was a record since the beginning of the yr, in other words a what have you done for me lately type thing. Neither represents a conference record. If you think that irrelevant, fine. I don't have a dog in this hunt. I'm a UC and UT fan and neither is a rival of IU.

Amazingly IU is not yet eliminated from NCAA consideration which is amazing to me. Their win over Illinois last night was just their 3rd road win all year. We're hearing that they're looking closely at NET rankings now, rather than RPI or other measures. IU is up to 50 in NET but Penn State is ahead of them at 47. Can we all agree PSU has no chance of getting an at large bid?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I want Tennessee.
    You're really taking this personal and I don't know why. I'm just stating facts that have nothing to do with my alma mater. If Tenn were 4-12 since Jan 1 I wouldn't be talkin' smack about my team. Trust me.

The 11-18 record that I referenced was overall. The 4-12 record was a record since the beginning of the yr, in other words a what have you done for me lately type thing. Neither represents a conference record. If you think that irrelevant, fine. I don't have a dog in this hunt. I'm a UC and UT fan and neither is a rival of IU.

Amazingly IU is not yet eliminated from NCAA consideration which is amazing to me. Their win over Illinois last night was just their 3rd road win all year. We're hearing that they're looking closely at NET rankings now, rather than RPI or other measures. IU is up to 50 in NET but Penn State is ahead of them at 47. Can we all agree PSU has no chance of getting an at large bid?
    And IU beat Penn St. in their house.

You're really taking this personal and I don't know why. I'm just stating facts that have nothing to do with my alma mater. If Tenn were 4-12 since Jan 1 I wouldn't be talkin' smack about my team. Trust me.
    Nope not taking it personal at all. Not talking any smack either. I want Tennessee. Basically that means, follow with me here, IU has made the dance.

23. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-11-2019)

Turn Off Ads?