Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Meat

Re: Smoking Meat

I've been smoking various meats the past two years or so. I've tended to try to get good at one thing (spare ribs, wings) before moving on to others. I've tried my hand at spare ribs, baby backs, wings, country style pork ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, chicken breast, and a turkey.

The ribs, wings, turkey, and chicken breast have all turned out great. The ribs took a few attempts to really get down (I recommend cooking a bit hotter than suggested). Wings are a huge hit. I am surprisingly a big fan of smoked chicken breasts, adds a ton of flavor into a typical boring meat.

I've only tried a brisket once, it was out alright, but not blow you away good. Same with the pork shoulder.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (03-11-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You know, I've heard that people BBQ outside Texas.

I find that adorable.
    In 50 years, I've never found a good rib place in Oregon. Was fortunate to live in the Bay Area four 3+ years where there was one really good place.

You can't beat home-smoking, but as far as BBQ sauce style, my favorite is St. Louis. I like mine sweeter than most.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    In 50 years, I've never found a good rib place in Oregon. Was fortunate to live in the Bay Area four 3+ years where there was one really good place.

You can't beat home-smoking, but as far as BBQ sauce style, my favorite is St. Louis. I like mine sweeter than most.
    I would think if anything you could get salmon smoked in your neck of the woods.

BBQ is another story. I’m thinking about getting some salmon to smoke this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I would think if anything you could get salmon smoked in your neck of the woods.
    That's a whole other food, but again, it's the home smoker that makes it best and there's more quality smoked salmon than there are Towns in the Northwest.

Personally, I like to taste the meat, whatever the animal, and I don't as a general rule like anything other than quality salt and quality pepper added to anything, with the exception of lemon with seafood. I like to taste what the cow, fish, and bird ate or drank. One river's trout, salmon or steelhead will taste differently than another river's. It may sound barbaric, but I can taste the age of an animal and where it came from. I know my farmer and my fisherman. I like my milk raw and can tell when the cow got too close to where the pig feeds.

Start putting herbs and sauces on meat and fish and it no longer becomes meat and fish.

I know it comes from my discovery of the flavors of food when I moved in with my grandparents when I was 20. My grandmother was a great cook and knew how to bring the raw flavors of meat and vegetables and fish out of itself. My Mom was a terrible cook (no time) as she boiled everything to death or cooked it extra well-done. The only food she cooked right was wild steelhead, baked with only lemon and pepper. It's not a coincidence that is my favorite meal, only legally available through purchase from Native Americans now.

Smoked meat is a whole other food.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-06-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sounds delicious and fun too. Are there directions/recipes that came with it or how did you learn to do an all day smoked roast? I may have to get into this.
    Like many things, I googled it and read books and tried a lot of things. My first 2-3 attempts at a pork shoulder weren’t great. I was too impatient and tried to speed things along and they were tough. I found it just takes a long time and there is no shortcut for that. Low and slow. I buy a 6-7 lb pork shoulder from Costco, salt and pepper it (don’t do rubs on this), and let it go about 12 hours. I shepard the smoker all day, keep the heat up, and just let it smoke. I take it off, let it rest about an hour, and then trim and pull the whole damn thing. Frankly, by the time I’m done with it, I’m ready to eat a burger or something different. But the crowd is usually clamoring for meat so I set it out. It’s a carnivores delight.

I do briskets too. Again a Costco purchase, about 5-6 lbs. same low and slow, usually around 8 hours. Pretty good.

My son does bacon from pork bellies that is really good. But he’s a professional chef and *knows* how to do it. I buy the pork belly and he gives my 1/2 of the bacon. A fair trade.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Like many things, I googled it and read books and tried a lot of things. My first 2-3 attempts at a pork shoulder weren’t great. I was too impatient and tried to speed things along and they were tough. I found it just takes a long time and there is no shortcut for that. Low and slow. I buy a 6-7 lb pork shoulder from Costco, salt and pepper it (don’t do rubs on this), and let it go about 12 hours. I shepard the smoker all day, keep the heat up, and just let it smoke. I take it off, let it rest about an hour, and then trim and pull the whole damn thing. Frankly, by the time I’m done with it, I’m ready to eat a burger or something different. But the crowd is usually clamoring for meat so I set it out. It’s a carnivores delight.

I do briskets too. Again a Costco purchase, about 5-6 lbs. same low and slow, usually around 8 hours. Pretty good.

My son does bacon from pork bellies that is really good. But he’s a professional chef and *knows* how to do it. I buy the pork belly and he gives my 1/2 of the bacon. A fair trade.
    I’ve done pork shoulders overnight before. If you invest in a good meat thermometer with two probes, you can monitor the meat temperature as well as the temperature of your smoker. I do want to try brisket sometime or pork belly burnt ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Do you mean the one called Pit Barrel Cooker? Is it the 33 gallon drum with the hooks? I have wanted to try one of those for quite a while. I have a Chargriller with a smoker box attached. I have made several mods on it but it still leaks smoke too much and can be hard to control the temp. I read that you can smoke a shoulder aboyt 9 lbs in like 6 hours on that. How do you like it?
    That's the exact one. I love it - the price is great, and cooks are consistent. You need to invest in a quality two-probe thermometer like a Maverick et-732 or something because it's a pretty spartan device and you don't have a ton of options for monitoring heat otherwise, but I use it almost weekly throughout the summer.

Theres a community of people on amazingribs.com forums that have modified the PBC, but it's totally unnecessary. If you get one, I can give you my "startup guide" so that you can hit the ground running!
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’ve done pork shoulders overnight before. If you invest in a good meat thermometer with two probes, you can monitor the meat temperature as well as the temperature of your smoker. I do want to try brisket sometime or pork belly burnt ends.
    It can also be worthwhile to buy a temperature controller for overnight smokes. I use the DigiQ with my Big Green Egg. I especially like that it has a keep warm mode that lowers the grate temperature to that of the meat temperature once the meat reaches its target so it doesn't overcook. There are times when the meat cooks a bit faster than expected, and it's nice to not end up with a charred brick when I wake up.

For pork shoulders, I aim for at least 12 hours and preferably 14-16.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I'm probably going to be at odds with some of the more hardcore smokers here, but as a novice who alternates between gas grill (with foil pouch of chips) and just braising his shoulders and briskets, I really think the only two things that matter are: (1) how you deliver your flavor agents of choice and (2) getting a meat thermometer and cooking to temp, not to time (or superficial appearance). I forget where I picked up the mindset but "It's a technique, not a recipe." But it's a great mindset. Pick your cut of meat and your flavors (be they mexican, asian, cuban, spicy, sweet, smokey, whatever) and cook it to the right doneness, and you cannot fail. THere is no shame in starting a smoke outside on the grill, but then finishing in a low oven, even.

Then again, I just crossed a line and became the type of Fancy Lad I promised myself I would never become: a sous vide lad. I"m so ashamed.

I'm still open to healthy debates on the the merits of dry cures vs. wet cures and rubs vs. brines.... but I've become a downright nazi about cooking to temp, even when sous vide is not involved. Getting that pork shoulder to 190 or higher is a must (it's also why I've shifted towards doing smaller shoulder roasts, often 3 in one batch). WHen doing homemade bacon, try get as much smoke on as you can before it gets too much above 140. Brisket -- specifically, I'm getting ready to do Corned Beef for St. Patty's -- and brisket is more like 180 (and then you smoke the leftovers, and they become pastrami, but again, it shouldn't get above 180). And so on and so forth....
    Last edited by FlightRick; 03-07-2019 at 11:24 PM.

14. Likes:

BillDoran (03-08-2019)

You know, I've heard that people BBQ outside Texas.

I find that adorable.
    BBQ is a noun, not a verb. BBQ is what you eat, not what you do. Yes, I realize many (incorrectly) don't see it that way, but in NC there is NC style bbq to eat, not do. That said, there are some amazingly good smoked meats in Texas!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    BBQ is a noun, not a verb. BBQ is what you eat, not what you do. Yes, I realize many (incorrectly) don't see it that way, but in NC there is NC style bbq to eat, not do. That said, there are some amazingly good smoked meats in Texas!
    I BBQ for a living.

verb.

I mean I don't, but I want to. In TX, it is used as a verb more than a noun.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

17. Likes:

bounty37h (03-08-2019)

I BBQ for a living.

verb.

I mean I don't, but I want to. In TX, it is used as a verb more than a noun.
    I know, but in NC we call the product Que, the process is cooking/smoking it. People around here look at you funny if you say you are going to bbq. Be prepared to fight if you tell someone you are going to bbq and they show up and you are having a cook out with some hot dogs and burgers on a grill and no bbq in sight (at least Texas the food's so good we would get over that)
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

19. Likes:

TRF (03-08-2019)

I know, but in NC we call the product Que, the process is cooking/smoking it. People around here look at you funny if you say you are going to bbq. Be prepared to fight if you tell someone you are going to bbq and they show up and you are having a cook out with some hot dogs and burgers on a grill and no bbq in sight (at least Texas the food's so good we would get over that)
    It is weird how local dialects/customs come in to play. I never hear it called Que here, but Texas is so big that even in the state, methods vary.

It's worse with Mexican Food. So many varieties.

21. Likes:

bounty37h (03-08-2019)

It is weird how local dialects/customs come in to play. I never hear it called Que here, but Texas is so big that even in the state, methods vary.

It's worse with Mexican Food. So many varieties.
    I bet in that large a state there are many variations. Here there are many wars over which is best; the correct answer of eastern NC que (vinegar based) or the still-good-but-not-as-good western style bbq which is tomato based. We wont mention the vile crap a large chunk of south Carolina does which is mustard based.
    That said, I would love to try your texas brisket!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I bet in that large a state there are many variations. Here there are many wars over which is best; the correct answer of eastern NC que (vinegar based) or the still-good-but-not-as-good western style bbq which is tomato based. We wont mention the vile crap a large chunk of south Carolina does which is mustard based.
    That said, I would love to try your texas brisket!
    brisket here is sinful.

and now i am regretting my lunch choice of jason's deli.

24. Likes:

bounty37h (03-11-2019)

Turn Off Ads?