Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Meat

Re: Smoking Meat

Did 4 full racks of ribs yesterday, turned out really good.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (04-10-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Last night, we fixed some country style ribs. Smothered them with olive oil then added Kanas City rub. Had it in smoker for about 6 hours at 225 degrees. Also had baked potatoes in the smoker. Not bad for a $3 dinner.

Attachment 17131
    how long did you keep the potatoes in?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    how long did you keep the potatoes in?
    About 5 1/2 hours. Placed olive oil around the potatoes and wrapped in tin foil. Always turn out great. You can keep the potatoes in even longer than I did (in my opinion).

I am guessing the minimum time for the potatoes to be done at 225 degrees would be 2 hours.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

About 5 1/2 hours. Placed olive oil around the potatoes and wrapped in tin foil. Always turn out great. You can keep the potatoes in even longer than I did (in my opinion).

I am guessing the minimum time for the potatoes to be done at 225 degrees would be 2 hours.
    One thing I do with potatoes when people come over is dice both yellow and sweet potatoes into one inch cubes, and then douse them with salt and pepper and lots of olive oil and roast them in a cast iron put or pan until tender. Add a dish of homemade alioli sause on the side, and people can't leave them alone. There is something about the combo of the sweet and yellow potatoes that is addictive.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (04-12-2021),goreds2 (04-12-2021),RiverRat13 (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    One thing I do with potatoes when people come over is dice both yellow and sweet potatoes into one inch cubes, and then douse them with salt and pepper and lots of olive oil and roast them in a cast iron put or pan until tender. Add a dish of homemade alioli sause on the side, and people can't leave them alone. There is something about the combo of the sweet and yellow potatoes that is addictive.
    I do this but sometimes wrap them in foil for 90 minutes or so instead of the skillet (lazier way to do it).

9. Likes:

BillDoran (04-12-2021),goreds2 (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I do this but sometimes wrap them in foil for 90 minutes or so instead of the skillet (lazier way to do it).
    Well, I'm a cheap sob and don't like to buy foil. I've got a small dutch oven that works nicely, and sometimes I'll use two frying pans with one inverted to make a cover.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 04-12-2021 at 09:30 AM.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (04-12-2021),RiverRat13 (04-12-2021)

I don’t like to wash dishes so I do the foil packet thing Also, often times I’m just cooking for my wife and I so I just do everything on the grill to avoid heating up the kitchen.

Actually, I use foil packets on the grill a lot. Lends itself to fish or seafood of various kinds with veggies or potatoes of various kinds. Lemon works well here too. Lots of variation. Sometimes I just see what’s in the fridge and improvise.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

goreds2 (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, I'm a cheap sob and don't like to buy foil. I've got a small dutch oven that works nicely, and sometimes I'll use two frying pans with one inverted to make a cover.
    Steam tray pans work well here. I’ve started buying them in bulk at Sams. A lot less messier depending on what you are fixing and it saves on cleaning the grill or smoker when you are finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Has anyone smoked meat in butcher paper?

Has anyone smoked meat in butcher paper?
    Brisket. Thats the only thing I’ve done or known to be done with peach paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I don’t like to wash dishes so I do the foil packet thing Also, often times I’m just cooking for my wife and I so I just do everything on the grill to avoid heating up the kitchen.

Actually, I use foil packets on the grill a lot. Lends itself to fish or seafood of various kinds with veggies or potatoes of various kinds. Lemon works well here too. Lots of variation. Sometimes I just see what’s in the fridge and improvise.
    Walleye or lake trout wrapped in foil with butter and cajun or lemon pepper is a go-to recipe for me. Plus, since it isn't fried, you can convince yourself that it's healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

19. Likes:

goreds2 (04-12-2021),Roy Tucker (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Brisket. Thats the only thing I’ve done or known to be done with peach paper.
    I’ve done that a couple times with peach butcher paper I got from my son. Helped keep the brisket moist. But I haven’t gotten as good with brisket as I am with pork butt.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

goreds2 (04-13-2021)

23. Likes:

919191 (04-14-2021),Boss-Hog (04-13-2021),IslandRed (05-03-2021),RiverRat13 (04-13-2021),Roy Tucker (04-16-2021),WrongVerb (04-13-2021)

When I was away during the winter, I took down a buck and needed a way to preserve it. My brother took half, but that still left me with 150 pounds of meat.

I ended up giving my dog the rib cage, I ate the choice cuts over the next few days while they were fresh, and then I cut the meat on the front quarters into thin strips and tossed them in my smoker to make jerky and pemmican. That left a big hind quarter, and I put it in a salt brine for about two weeks. Then I put it in a sugar solution for a few days, and then put it in the smoker for about eight hours. After that, I rubbed it in salt, and the whole thing stayed ok for two months without any refrigeration. I only mention it because if you have access to a cheap piece of meat, or even something gamey like the venison I had, the salt brine followed by the sugar solution did wonders. My grandfather told me about it years ago, but I never had a chance to try it until now.

My smoker was quite humble; just a 55 gallon drum cut in half with a grate I welded together, but it worked. I used black cherry for the wood, and it wasn't bitter at all.

25. Likes:

goreds2 (04-14-2021),RFS62 (04-19-2021),Roy Tucker (04-16-2021)

Amazes me how creative people can be:

27. Likes:

919191 (04-30-2021),cumberlandreds (04-29-2021),Rdirtypirates (05-02-2021),WildcatFan (04-29-2021),WVRed (04-29-2021)

Turn Off Ads?