Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Meat

Re: Smoking Meat

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Will be smoking a $45 prime rib today. No pressure !
    Turned out great. Cooked it fat side up so the juices would flow down. Crazy good.

Attachment 17321
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (06-07-2021),Revering4Blue (06-03-2021),RiverRat13 (06-06-2021),WVRed (06-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Plan on putting country ribs in the smoker while watching the Reds game tonight at the campground.

I've been using my traeger for 10 years. Absolutely love it.

My go to lately has been pork belly burnt ends. Pure meat candy that is always the hit of any party I bring it to. Very inexpensive as well.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

6. Likes:

goreds2 (07-04-2021)

Plan on putting a pork butt in the smoker today. I have never did one of these before. My first butt!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Plan on putting a pork butt in the smoker today. I have never did one of these before. My first butt!
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

9. Likes:

goreds2 (10-20-2021),JFLegal (10-25-2021)

It turned out great. Low and slow is the key.

11. Likes:

BillDoran (10-20-2021),Boss-Hog (10-20-2021),cumberlandreds (10-21-2021),Revering4Blue (10-20-2021),RiverRat13 (10-20-2021),WrongVerb (10-20-2021)

It turned out great. Low and slow is the key.
    Let me know if you need any help getting it eaten

Yeah, low and slow is the key. I do mine 12-14 hours. A daylong process.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

goreds2 (10-20-2021),Revering4Blue (10-20-2021)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

How far did you take it, temp-wise? I like to take mine to 190-195, and let carryover do the rest. I believe this puts me on the higher end of the spectrum (super fall-apart tender to the point that some purists would call it "mushy"), but not so far done that it can't be frozen and re-heated in batches without drying out. A friend of mine likes his butt slice-able moreso than pull-able, and says 180-185 is his max. And I've read some folks like to go to 210 (even with carryover, I'll never get much above 200, so that sounds like insanity to me). I'm always curious about people's preferences.

15. Likes:

goreds2 (10-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    How far did you take it, temp-wise? I like to take mine to 190-195, and let carryover do the rest. I believe this puts me on the higher end of the spectrum (super fall-apart tender to the point that some purists would call it "mushy"), but not so far done that it can't be frozen and re-heated in batches without drying out. A friend of mine likes his butt slice-able moreso than pull-able, and says 180-185 is his max. And I've read some folks like to go to 210 (even with carryover, I'll never get much above 200, so that sounds like insanity to me). I'm always curious about people's preferences.
    180 to 190 for me.

Edit: I would say 180 to 200 instead of 180 to 190.
    Last edited by goreds2; 10-20-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Add edit comment

203 or until the pop up timer aka bone comes out clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

18. Likes:

goreds2 (10-20-2021)

It slipped my mind, but I do sometimes aim lower than 195... most commonly, I'll do that when I've got a hankering for Cuban style pork for sammiches, which you do want to hold together when sliced. I've also got a delicious apple cider braised recipe that, too, works best at 180-185. But most of the time, I'm doing pulled pork and carnitas, and so I'll take it a bit further.

It helps that I'm generally cooking for two, so I break down the whole pork shoulder into manageable sized roasts that allow me options (and also, no all-day commitment). I can do a 2 lb roast with the apples, it cooks quicker, and out in the freezer, 2-3 more roasts that I can do different things with when I so desire.

20. Likes:

goreds2 (10-20-2021)

i aim for 195. Once in a while I cheat and after about 8 hours I put it in the oven. I can't tell the difference between that and having it on the smoker the whole time.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    i aim for 195. Once in a while I cheat and after about 8 hours I put it in the oven. I can't tell the difference between that and having it on the smoker the whole time.
    Maybe some of the experts can chime in here (I am still learning) but I think the smoker keeps the meat more moist than a kitchen oven due to a water pan being in the smoker.

Maybe some of the experts can chime in here (I am still learning) but I think the smoker keeps the meat more moist than a kitchen oven due to a water pan being in the smoker.
    Reading this causes me flashbacks to many a Thanksgiving dinner of my youth. My mom always poached the turkey -- basically boiling/steaming it for a couple hours, then finishing in a scorching hot oven to get crispy -- and claimed that made it impossible to dry out the bird. Any dryness was the fault of the bird itself, not the technique, because she was cooking it in liquid, and liquid can't be dry! Or something like that. Upon my own culinary awakening, I learned it doesn't work that way.

Humidity and moisture of the smoker (or a stovetop poach, or an in-oven braise) doesn't affect the final texture/juiciness of your meat all that much. It comes down to the meat's own composition (fat/marbling) and temperature, temperature, temperature. Know your cut of meat, and cook it to temp, and you can't lose. Cooking till it "looks done" (especially if you like a crispy turkey) is overcooked 90% of the time, and no amount of moisture in the cooking method will change that. If you take it too far, you can't save it until you are at the table with lots of gravy. Done bun can't be undone, as the saying goes.

I'm also a "start outside, get some smoke on it, then move inside to the oven" guy, especially in colder or windier conditions. Even a crappy oven can hold low temps better than a grill or smoker, and the "dry heat" has no ill effects on a pork butt or beef chuck roast or ribs or whatever it is that you're going to be cooking to 180 degrees or higher internal temp. Your mileage may vary if you crave a TON of smoke, but a couple hours is usually enough for me. Then, we had to the oven to finish more precisely. Certain spices (cumin, chipotle chili powder) can enhance a smokey flavor profile, too, if you let a spice rub sit overnight; if you get a good brand (I use Wright's) liquid smoke can be a handy secret weapon for finishing inside, too (more so for sauces/marinades/braises than for applying directly to the meat).

But regardless: placing water proximate to the meat you are cooking does nothing to make it juicier. Trust me. I have many traumatic childhood Thanksgivings to prove it. On those days, I gave thanks for gravy. So much gravy!

24. Likes:

goreds2 (11-07-2021)

Reading this causes me flashbacks to many a Thanksgiving dinner of my youth. My mom always poached the turkey -- basically boiling/steaming it for a couple hours, then finishing in a scorching hot oven to get crispy -- and claimed that made it impossible to dry out the bird. Any dryness was the fault of the bird itself, not the technique, because she was cooking it in liquid, and liquid can't be dry! Or something like that. Upon my own culinary awakening, I learned it doesn't work that way.

Humidity and moisture of the smoker (or a stovetop poach, or an in-oven braise) doesn't affect the final texture/juiciness of your meat all that much. It comes down to the meat's own composition (fat/marbling) and temperature, temperature, temperature. Know your cut of meat, and cook it to temp, and you can't lose. Cooking till it "looks done" (especially if you like a crispy turkey) is overcooked 90% of the time, and no amount of moisture in the cooking method will change that. If you take it too far, you can't save it until you are at the table with lots of gravy. Done bun can't be undone, as the saying goes.

I'm also a "start outside, get some smoke on it, then move inside to the oven" guy, especially in colder or windier conditions. Even a crappy oven can hold low temps better than a grill or smoker, and the "dry heat" has no ill effects on a pork butt or beef chuck roast or ribs or whatever it is that you're going to be cooking to 180 degrees or higher internal temp. Your mileage may vary if you crave a TON of smoke, but a couple hours is usually enough for me. Then, we had to the oven to finish more precisely. Certain spices (cumin, chipotle chili powder) can enhance a smokey flavor profile, too, if you let a spice rub sit overnight; if you get a good brand (I use Wright's) liquid smoke can be a handy secret weapon for finishing inside, too (more so for sauces/marinades/braises than for applying directly to the meat).

But regardless: placing water proximate to the meat you are cooking does nothing to make it juicier. Trust me. I have many traumatic childhood Thanksgivings to prove it. On those days, I gave thanks for gravy. So much gravy!
    I’ve actually had to do this.

The digital controller went out on my electric smoker. It still works but if I want to do something I just let it get enough smoke and then move it into the oven.

Next investment I’m going to make is in a pellet grill.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

26. Likes:

goreds2 (11-07-2021)

Turn Off Ads?