Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Meat

Smoking Meat

I’ve taken this up as somewhat of a hobby over the past year. Got an electric smoker for Christmas last year and it’s become somewhat of a staple.

I’ve used it for ribs, beef tenderloin roast, chicken (BBQ and Alabama White), turkey breasts, pulled pork. The main thing I’ve done a lot of recently though has been jerky, especially when I can catch London broil or eye of round on sale.

Any other Redszoners do the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019),Griffey012 (03-06-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Smoking Meat

I have a charcoal smoker I use mostly in the summer. Pork shoulder, brisket, and the occasional turkey breast are my go-to’s. Just a cheap vertical smoker I bought from Lowe’s. Nothing fancy.

Love getting the meat prepped the night before and then firing up the smoker like 5:30-6:00 am and getting the meat on when the sun is coming up. Sit out back,drink a cup of coffee, smell the smoke, and watch the sun come up.

Once a year, we have a neighborhood pig roast. A couple neighbors and I rent a big gas smoker and do a whole pig. I have a friend up in Miamisburg that is a butcher and he gets the pig for us. That’s a lot of work.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

GAC (12-04-2021),goreds2 (03-04-2019),IslandRed (03-18-2019),Sea Ray (03-06-2019)

I'm a "smoker" as well - I use a pit barrel cooker, as well as weber kettle grills for my smokes. My favorite recipes to make are ribs (obviously) and a pulled chicken recipe that's an absolute knockout for parties. Still working on mastering pulled pork, and want to get more into recipes for duck and goose, since I have a freezer full from hunting in the last couple of seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

7. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I'm a "smoker" as well - I use a pit barrel cooker, as well as weber kettle grills for my smokes. My favorite recipes to make are ribs (obviously) and a pulled chicken recipe that's an absolute knockout for parties. Still working on mastering pulled pork, and want to get more into recipes for duck and goose, since I have a freezer full from hunting in the last couple of seasons.
    I have a Kettle, use it more for steaks, chicken, pork chops, burgers, and occasional wings but haven’t been as adventurous with it as I should be. I might try a pork loin this summer.

I’m going to try pulled chicken sometime this spring/summer. Did pulled pork twice last summer.

If anyone wants ideas, I’d recommend howtobbqright.com. A lot of recipes and YouTube videos.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

I have a Kamado. Love it. If there's a family function, I'm smoking two or three pork shoulders on it.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I have a Kamado. Love it. If there's a family function, I'm smoking two or three pork shoulders on it.
    My son has one of those. He uses it almost every day and loves it. He’s a chef too so he does a lot of crazy stuff on it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

During warmer weather, I'll use my gas grill -- indirect heat, with foil pouch of wood chips directly on the flame -- to do ribs and "cheater sized" pork shoulder roasts (basically, cut a boneless pork shoulder into 3 equal size roasts; smaller size means they cook to 190 degrees in about the same time as a rack of ribs, and increased surface area means they still get a lot of smoke despite the shorter time; added bonus, I can do 3 different rubs/flavor profiles all in one batch!).

Last summer, I branched out and did something new: bacon. Man alive, was it good. I won't go full on wanker and pretend like it will change the way you think about bacon, because even cheap bacon is great. But the difference was noticeable, and upon cooking, the rendered fat was a much deeper golden color (not white/off-white), and the bacon was ever-so-slightly more savory, almost buttery. Had to order the special pink curing salt on amazon, but there's literally no other special ingredients needed besides the pork itself.

Since whole pork bellies are easily gotten at Costco, I'm sure I'll dabble again this summer, but word of warning: without access to a good quality meat slicer, homemade bacon is maybe kinda more trouble than it's worth, so that'll always keep me from making it a regular thing. Maybe if you have outstanding knife skills and a lot of patience, your mileage may vary...

15. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019),Kingspoint (03-06-2019)

I like the deluxe Traeger.

Set it up. Walk away.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

17. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Do you mean the one called Pit Barrel Cooker? Is it the 33 gallon drum with the hooks? I have wanted to try one of those for quite a while. I have a Chargriller with a smoker box attached. I have made several mods on it but it still leaks smoke too much and can be hard to control the temp. I read that you can smoke a shoulder aboyt 9 lbs in like 6 hours on that. How do you like it?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

19. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Do you mean the one called Pit Barrel Cooker? Is it the 33 gallon drum with the hooks? I have wanted to try one of those for quite a while. I have a Chargriller with a smoker box attached. I have made several mods on it but it still leaks smoke too much and can be hard to control the temp. I read that you can smoke a shoulder aboyt 9 lbs in like 6 hours on that. How do you like it?
    The Walmart here had the Pit Barrel on clearance for $125. I didn’t realize at the time how good they were or I would have seriously thought about getting one (wife would have killed me).

They also had an Akorn on clearance for $162 on the sales floor. My dad bought one a couple years ago for double that. It’s basically a Big Green Egg for 1/3 of the price.

21. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

I just have an entry level electric Masterbuilt Portable Smoker. Last Reds Opening Day 2018 I fixed simple smoked hot dogs - fantastic! I plan on fixing this Opening Day 2019. I may add some wings this time.

Here is one. Mine is Red though (of course!).

Last edited by goreds2; 03-04-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added comment and picture
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-06-2019),Roy Tucker (03-07-2019)

Most of my grilling is on my Weber Genesis (propane) as we usually need dinner on the table in 30 mins. On the rare occasion I can fire up my Big Green Egg, I’m a big fan of Car Wash Mike’s (RIP) ribs.

And on the subject of smoked meat, I had the good fortune to be in Austin TX last fall. I don’t use this expression lightly when I say the brisket at Franklin Barbecue was life changing. Without a doubt, the most delicious thing I’ve eaten in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I have a charcoal smoker I use mostly in the summer. Pork shoulder, brisket, and the occasional turkey breast are my go-to’s. Just a cheap vertical smoker I bought from Lowe’s. Nothing fancy.

Love getting the meat prepped the night before and then firing up the smoker like 5:30-6:00 am and getting the meat on when the sun is coming up. Sit out back,drink a cup of coffee, smell the smoke, and watch the sun come up.

Once a year, we have a neighborhood pig roast. A couple neighbors and I rent a big gas smoker and do a whole pig. I have a friend up in Miamisburg that is a butcher and he gets the pig for us. That’s a lot of work.
    Sounds delicious and fun too. Are there directions/recipes that came with it or how did you learn to do an all day smoked roast? I may have to get into this.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Most of my grilling is on my Weber Genesis (propane) as we usually need dinner on the table in 30 mins. On the rare occasion I can fire up my Big Green Egg, I’m a big fan of Car Wash Mike’s (RIP) ribs.

And on the subject of smoked meat, I had the good fortune to be in Austin TX last fall. I don’t use this expression lightly when I say the brisket at Franklin Barbecue was life changing. Without a doubt, the most delicious thing I’ve eaten in my life.
    You know, I've heard that people BBQ outside Texas.

I find that adorable.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

27. Likes:

redsfandan (03-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

I second that Franklin BBQ comment.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Turn Off Ads?