Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Meat

Re: Smoking Meat

Smoked some shrimp yesterday. Did a New Orleans style butter sauce I found online. The sauce really gave it extra flavor and was a good dip for bread.

Here’s the recipe:

https://howtobbqright.com/2016/06/09/smoked-shrimp/
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-12-2019),bounty37h (03-12-2019),goreds2 (03-12-2019),kaldaniels (03-12-2019),Kingspoint (03-13-2019),RiverRat13 (03-11-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    brisket here is sinful.

and now i am regretting my lunch choice of jason's deli.

Texas brisket is the food of the Gods.

Too bad they don't understand down there that chili has beans.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

5. Likes:

Roy Tucker (03-18-2019),TRF (03-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Texas brisket is the food of the Gods.

Too bad they don't understand down there that chili has beans.
    Blasphemer.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

7. Likes:

bounty37h (03-12-2019),cincyinco (07-06-2019),RFS62 (03-12-2019),Roy Tucker (03-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Blasphemer.
    That was too easy
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

9. Likes:

TRF (03-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sounds delicious and fun too. Are there directions/recipes that came with it or how did you learn to do an all day smoked roast? I may have to get into this.
    Sea Ray I have learned some things from this. Lots of good advice

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Man, can't believe I missed this thread until now.

In book form, "Smoke and Spice" is still probably the best ground-up reference for the novice. Online, I mostly hang out on the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board, since I've been using the Smoky Mountain 22.5" for the last several years. Makes great 'cue, just wish I had more time to fool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I've only tried a brisket once, it was out alright, but not blow you away good. Same with the pork shoulder.
    Brisket is, by far, the most difficult to get just right. The window between "not tender enough" and "dried out" is easy to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Like many things, I googled it and read books and tried a lot of things. My first 2-3 attempts at a pork shoulder weren’t great. I was too impatient and tried to speed things along and they were tough. I found it just takes a long time and there is no shortcut for that. Low and slow. I buy a 6-7 lb pork shoulder from Costco, salt and pepper it (don’t do rubs on this), and let it go about 12 hours. I shepard the smoker all day, keep the heat up, and just let it smoke. I take it off, let it rest about an hour, and then trim and pull the whole damn thing. Frankly, by the time I’m done with it, I’m ready to eat a burger or something different. But the crowd is usually clamoring for meat so I set it out. It’s a carnivores delight.
    Good point. "The hold" is really important for those big cuts. A lot of people do the foil-towel-cooler method and it's better after sitting for an hour or two. The internal moisture has a chance to redistribute itself throughout the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    That's the exact one. I love it - the price is great, and cooks are consistent. You need to invest in a quality two-probe thermometer like a Maverick et-732 or something because it's a pretty spartan device and you don't have a ton of options for monitoring heat otherwise, but I use it almost weekly throughout the summer.
    I had a 732, and broke it, naturally. Great thermometer. Switched to a Weber iGrill of whatever vintage they're selling now, mostly due to the convenience of the bluetooth hookup where I can keep tabs on temps via a phone app. And for grilling or cooking of any kind, a Thermapen instant-read is super-handy.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have an entry level $79 smoker (Masterbuilt portable). I think you could say I am an entry level chef when it comes to this.

Yesterday, I was busy around the house but wanted to put something in the smoker and something simple. Well, I found a bag of Anytizer pre -cooked wings in the freezer and threw those in the smoker with some ball park franks. Let them cook on 200 degrees for a little over 4 hours.

I was not shocked the ballpark franks turned out great but I could not believe the anytizer wings from frozen turn out great with just enough of that smoke flavor. Future Mrs. goreds2 and I watched the Reds and Sixers game with these and some beer(s) added. This may be on my opening day menu adding some baked beans to the smoker. I tip my Reds hat to those of you that smoke the fancy stuff. I will get better with more experience.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Sea Ray I have learned some things from this. Lots of good advice

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
    I may have posted this earlier, but this is one of the best websites for recipes, information, and YouTube tutorials:

http://www.howtobbqright.com

The Killer Hogs BBQ rub and AP rub are well worth it. Not cheap because of shipping and Amazon cost but they make a difference.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-26-2019)

Did a rib sandwich today. Smoked a baby back using the 3-2-1 method. Five hours in I pulled the bones out and slathered it up with BBQ sauce I bought marked down at Kroger that was really sweet. It was good but probably something I don’t know if I’d do again.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (03-25-2019),Kingspoint (03-25-2019),Roy Tucker (03-26-2019),Sea Ray (03-26-2019),TRF (03-26-2019)

Smoked some flappers (wings) on Sunday, mowed the lawn then afterward had those great wings in Buffalo sauce with a nice beverage.

19. Likes:

919191 (05-02-2019),BillDoran (05-01-2019),Kingspoint (05-01-2019)

Smoked some pre cooked Curlys ribs yesterday during the Reds game. Unlike the Game, the ribs turned out great.

On St. Pats day I tried Country ribs for the first time. Omg, they turned out great. All I did was put olive oil on it plus some rub.

What is great about the smoker is if you don’t feel like eating at a certain time (because Mrs. goreds2 and I were drinking a few beers celebrating St. Pats) you can just keep it on a warm setting until you are done with the beers.

22. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-19-2021),redhawkfish (03-19-2021)

I needed to replace my old weber grill last year and thought I'd get an Akorn. I got hooked on smoking and low and slow cooking, but would get so frustrated at how hard it was to hold a temp that I wound up going out and getting a Kamado Joe. I love it. Was hard to believe how easy it is to settle in a hold a temp in this thing.

I'm still fairly new, but have probably 20 cooks under my belt now. I also bought the Flame Boss temperature controller, so it's set it and forget it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

24. Likes:

BillDoran (03-31-2021),goreds2 (03-19-2021)

My smoker is an inexpensive not very well insulated one. It kicks butt in somewhat mild weather (50 degrees or above) but tomorrow for opening day in central Ohio area it will be 34 degrees. I will be fixing ribs and potatoes in the crock pot instead. We Will still enjoy opening day though.

Anyone with a better smoker than mine plan on anything for opening day?

26. Likes:

BillDoran (03-31-2021)

Last night, we fixed some country style ribs. Smothered them with olive oil then added Kanas City rub. Had it in smoker for about 6 hours at 225 degrees. Also had baked potatoes in the smoker. Not bad for a $3 dinner.

Attachment 17131

28. Likes:

919191 (04-12-2021),Boss-Hog (04-10-2021),WVRed (04-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?