Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 200

Thread: Smoking Meat

  1. #61
    Playoffs ?? !! goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    4,511

    Re: Smoking Meat

    I plan on putting pork loin in the Smoker tomorrow. Kroger had them for a buck 19 a pound over the weekend. A nice two dollar meal for us!
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

  2. Likes:

    919191 (05-21-2021)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #62
    Playoffs ?? !! goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    4,511

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I plan on putting pork loin in the Smoker tomorrow. Kroger had them for a buck 19 a pound over the weekend. A nice two dollar meal for us!
    Turned out great. Nice and moist.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

  5. Likes:

    Boston Red (05-19-2021),RiverRat13 (05-19-2021)

  6. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Papist
    Posts
    5,246

    Re: Smoking Meat

    I got out the smoker for the first time in a while over the weekend. Ribs. And they were excellent.

  7. Likes:

    goreds2 (05-19-2021)

  8. #64
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,241

    Re: Smoking Meat

    I have been smoking a lot of wings this year, a good number of chicken halves, some meatloaf, the occasional brisket, and a significant number of brats & sausage that end up in my Jambalaya.

    My son has a group project going on this week so 3 other senior boys have been coming over. I smoked 30 drumsticks/wings as a snack for them and 5 minutes later my boy was upstairs asking if we had any more. :-) I dry rub them in 2-3 different flavors and put the smoke to them ... finish them off on the grill (to toughen up the skin). As good as they are, its not as good as the Jambalaya.

    I started tossing on the brats/sausages when I did longer cooks like brisket or shoulder so I would have something for lunch. Now I rarely smoke just one thing.

    I am finding that I can often smoke 2-3 things at once with good results. I made 2 meatloaf, 30 wings, and smoked a dozen or so sausages in one cook. The sausages only need about an hour, the wings need about 2 hours, and the meatloaf about 2.5. Worked quite nicely.

    GL

  9. Likes:

    BillDoran (05-22-2021),Boss-Hog (05-21-2021),goreds2 (05-20-2021)

  10. #65
    Playoffs ?? !! goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    4,511

    Re: Smoking Meat

    We plan on putting country ribs in the smoker tonight at the campground while watching the Reds game. Should I pay more attention to the smoker?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

  11. Likes:

    BillDoran (05-22-2021)

  12. #66
    Member Rdirtypirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Does anyone have any recommendations for a smoker for someone starting out?

  13. #67
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,597

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a smoker for someone starting out?
    It all depends on preference. Iíll give you three to consider:

    1. Weber Kettle or Smokey Mountain. The Kettle is extremely versatile in that you can smoke on it (just add a water pan) or fire up burgers, steaks, chicken, chips, whatever you want. Learn the minion method and you can make charcoal last for a multiple hour smoke. The Smokey Mountain is a pure charcoal water pan smoker but itís one of mine that doesnít get used as often as I should.

    The downside is depending on how much time you have to spend you will be having to babysit it to make sure the temperature stays where you want it.

    2. Electric smoker. Set it and forget it. Iíve done pulled pork, ribs, brisket, turkey. Youíll get a smoke taste but it isnít as strong as a charcoal or stick burner smoker. Another advantage is you can cold smoke cheese and salmon and Iíve done jerky in an electric smoker.

    3. Pellet grills. Best of both worlds in that you can smoke overnight or crank it up and fix steaks and burgers. A lot more control over temperature on some models. Traeger used to be the gold standard for pellet grills but there are some other competitors worth checking out.

    Between pellets and looking for a grill itself the pellet grill is the most expensive option.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  14. Likes:

    Boss-Hog (05-22-2021),Rdirtypirates (05-22-2021)

  15. #68
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,500

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It all depends on preference. Iíll give you three to consider:

    1. Weber Kettle or Smokey Mountain. The Kettle is extremely versatile in that you can smoke on it (just add a water pan) or fire up burgers, steaks, chicken, chips, whatever you want. Learn the minion method and you can make charcoal last for a multiple hour smoke. The Smokey Mountain is a pure charcoal water pan smoker but itís one of mine that doesnít get used as often as I should.

    The downside is depending on how much time you have to spend you will be having to babysit it to make sure the temperature stays where you want it.

    2. Electric smoker. Set it and forget it. Iíve done pulled pork, ribs, brisket, turkey. Youíll get a smoke taste but it isnít as strong as a charcoal or stick burner smoker. Another advantage is you can cold smoke cheese and salmon and Iíve done jerky in an electric smoker.

    3. Pellet grills. Best of both worlds in that you can smoke overnight or crank it up and fix steaks and burgers. A lot more control over temperature on some models. Traeger used to be the gold standard for pellet grills but there are some other competitors worth checking out.

    Between pellets and looking for a grill itself the pellet grill is the most expensive option.
    That's good advice. For what it's worth, I got my first smoker several years ago (18" Weber Smokey Mountain), and I've been pretty happy with it. After the first few uses, I haven't filled the water pan with water to avoid that cleanup.

  16. #69
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,597

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    That's good advice. For what it's worth, I got my first smoker several years ago (18" Weber Smokey Mountain), and I've been pretty happy with it.
    Iíve got a Smokey Mountain, Kettle, and an electric smoker. Canít bring myself to go the pellet route although the electrical panel needs replaced on my electric smoker but Iíve been making it work.

    Having two kids under the age of six makes it hard for me to spend hours watching temps so Iím in the set it and forget it camp. If not for that Iíd either look into a stick burner or a drum smoker.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  17. Likes:

    Boss-Hog (05-22-2021)

  18. #70
    Member Rdirtypirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It all depends on preference. Iíll give you three to consider:

    1. Weber Kettle or Smokey Mountain. The Kettle is extremely versatile in that you can smoke on it (just add a water pan) or fire up burgers, steaks, chicken, chips, whatever you want. Learn the minion method and you can make charcoal last for a multiple hour smoke. The Smokey Mountain is a pure charcoal water pan smoker but itís one of mine that doesnít get used as often as I should.

    The downside is depending on how much time you have to spend you will be having to babysit it to make sure the temperature stays where you want it.

    2. Electric smoker. Set it and forget it. Iíve done pulled pork, ribs, brisket, turkey. Youíll get a smoke taste but it isnít as strong as a charcoal or stick burner smoker. Another advantage is you can cold smoke cheese and salmon and Iíve done jerky in an electric smoker.

    3. Pellet grills. Best of both worlds in that you can smoke overnight or crank it up and fix steaks and burgers. A lot more control over temperature on some models. Traeger used to be the gold standard for pellet grills but there are some other competitors worth checking out.

    Between pellets and looking for a grill itself the pellet grill is the most expensive option.
    I think I will go for the electric one. What is a good place to buy one? Thank you.

  19. #71
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,597

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    I think I will go for the electric one. What is a good place to buy one? Thank you.
    Loweís or Home Depot are pretty safe options.

    If you have a Cabelas close by they have a pretty decent selection.

    Masterbuilt makes an electric smoker that has a Bluetooth option and broiler feature:

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbu...3519/306683246
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  20. Likes:

    Rdirtypirates (05-22-2021)

  21. #72
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,500

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Iíve got a Smokey Mountain, Kettle, and an electric smoker. Canít bring myself to go the pellet route although the electrical panel needs replaced on my electric smoker but Iíve been making it work.

    Having two kids under the age of six makes it hard for me to spend hours watching temps so Iím in the set it and forget it camp. If not for that Iíd either look into a stick burner or a drum smoker.
    It doesn't eliminate the need to monitor temperatures, but I use a probe thermometer on my WSM to ensure the temperature stays within the range I set. If not, it'll set off an alarm, such as if it runs out of charcoal overnight.

  22. Likes:

    WVRed (05-22-2021)

  23. #73
    Playoffs ?? !! goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    4,511

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a smoker for someone starting out?
    This is what I have. Not well insulated but can smoke good food as long as it is 60 degrees or higher outside. $129

    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mast...lectric-smoker

    This will be good to see if you like the process then move up if need be. I am good with this smoker and have no reason to move up.

    Edit: Read reviews on the link before buying - most had good results some had bad.
    Last edited by goreds2; 05-23-2021 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

  24. Likes:

    Rdirtypirates (05-23-2021)

  25. #74
    Playoffs ?? !! goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    4,511

    Re: Smoking Meat

    Will be smoking a $45 prime rib today. No pressure !
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

  26. Likes:

    Boss-Hog (06-02-2021),Plus Plus (06-03-2021),RiverRat13 (06-02-2021)

  27. #75
    Winning is fun. RiverRat13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,009

    Re: Smoking Meat

    I use an Akorn Kamado. It's a much cheaper version of a Big Green Egg. The versatility is great as you can cook a steak at 600+ degrees or use it to smoke large cuts. I've done three eight pound pork shoulders at once in it. For fuel I use lump charcoal with wood chips. https://www.chargriller.com/collecti...20-kamado-6719

    For low and slow cooks, I have an Auber Instruments temperature controller - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=341

  28. Likes:

    goreds2 (06-02-2021)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator